Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> School me in electronics for ice fishing
Species8472
Posted: Feb 06, 2019 - 06:10 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16923

Just like the title says. Just starting to get back into the sport after many years and have been out a few times with some limited success but I feel like I am missing a key tool in not having any electronics.

If you had say $800 to drop on electronics what would you end up with and what would it be capable of?

Edit:

Not sure if relevant or not but target species are walleye, perch, pike, lake trout, brook trout, whitefish and burbot

This post has been edited by Species8472 on Feb 06, 2019 - 06:36 pm

PMEmail Poster
mephisto_lake
Posted: Feb 06, 2019 - 06:41 pm

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 11714

bass pro has

Garmin ECHOMAP Plus 93sv with GT52 Transducer Fish Finder/Chartplotter Combo

regular $999 usd on sale for $599 usd about $792 cad sale starts next friday

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/garmin-echo...rtplotter-combo

or lowrance elite 9 ti regular $1069 usd on sale for $599 usd 792 next friday as well online only

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/online-cata...o/SFC_19_22_tab
last page

I would probably buy one of these 2 units both are pick your poison but I'll probably buy the garmin since I already bought one in november but not decided, but between those 2 for sure.

side, down, gps, 9 inch screen for side imaging is minimum.

if 800 after tax was cut off

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/garmin-echo...rchTerm=2467179

reg 750 on for $499 usd just a 7inch screen sale starts next friday $660 cad plus tax gives you a little room for a ram mount or any unforeseen additions needed.

$800 is kind of that area where it's not about being picky but getting the best unit for your dollar.

haha never saw ice fishing not sure if that was an add on or maybe I've just spent that last 4 hours looking at electronics for myself either way good luck

PMEmail Poster
Pidge
Posted: Feb 06, 2019 - 08:41 pm

Fry

Member No.: 5459

Maybe someone can help me help you......there was a post that was rather long just a little while ago regaurding flashers vs. Sonar. Ive searches, but canít find it, but if someone could find it and add the link it might be worth a read for ya.
-Pidge

PMEmail Poster
ThorahGuy
Posted: Feb 06, 2019 - 09:06 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 644

This may be it:

Click Here

PMEmail Poster
Pidge
Posted: Feb 06, 2019 - 09:34 pm

Fry

Member No.: 5459

Thatís the one. Thanks ThorahGuy.
-Pidge

PMEmail Poster
Species8472
Posted: Feb 06, 2019 - 10:25 pm

Alevin

QUOTE (ThorahGuy @ Feb 06, 2019 - 09:06 pm)
This may be it:

Click Here

Thanks this is exactly the discussion I was after

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Feb 06, 2019 - 11:04 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

for the money you are willing to spend you can easily find a unit that will give you every feature you will need plus use for both summer and winter, with 2 transducers.

in that other discussion, there were lots of good points made. one that is now often left out is battery drawdown on ice units since the more features, screen size and power, the faster you run down the typical small battery that comes with the units.

talk of lithium batts,bigger batts Ö..all valid plus reduction of screen brightness is huge. run it at 5-6 if possible instead of 10

gl

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Feb 07, 2019 - 01:24 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 6034

Hey Species8472, welcome aboard. I've followed some of your adventures on the other board. If you think you might want to use it in the zodiac or canoe, then getting a decent graph makes more sense. If it's strictly an ice fishing tool, I'd opt for a flasher. I'd look at a Vexilar FLX28 (preferably with a Tribeam transducer over a Proview). For a graph, something in Humminbird's line would fit the bill.

And you're right, it is a key tool. Careful though, you may end up needing another one when the kid starts hogging it.

PMEmail Poster
Species8472
Posted: Feb 07, 2019 - 01:34 am

Alevin

QUOTE (Chuck Enwinde @ Feb 07, 2019 - 01:24 am)
Hey Species8472, welcome aboard. I've followed some of your adventures on the other board. If you think you might want to use it in the zodiac or canoe, then getting a decent graph makes more sense. If it's strictly an ice fishing tool, I'd opt for a flasher. I'd look at a Vexilar FLX28 (preferably with a Tribeam transducer over a Proview). For a graph, something in Humminbird's line would fit the bill.

And you're right, it is a key tool. Careful though, you may end up needing another one when the kid starts hogging it.

Thanks for the welcome. Probably won't use it on the canoe but was certainly thinking about the zodiac. You are right about the kids though - might have to hide it. Had good luck with the Zodiac last summer fishing blind but was mostly on back lakes and fishing for bass which are pretty easy pickings on lightly pressured lakes.

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted: Feb 08, 2019 - 02:37 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10053

Humminbird Helix 5 or 7 . Very versatile unit, has graph and flasher modes as well as maps. I use it on the ice and on my inflatable.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace