Hunting Forum Hunting Regulations    
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Trail cam theft prevention
laker74
Posted: Aug 03, 2018 - 02:04 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7940

Hello everyone, I'am sure many of you are starting to get the itch, and cant wait for the upcoming season, I have been behind schedule this year with my trail cameras, but am hoping to get them out shortly. I am hoping to explore some new areas this year, and like many of you I started to think about how to prevent my trail cameras from being stolen.

have started a few prototypes to prevent my cameras from being stolen, once I finish them I will post them so you all can see. that being said I was just curious to what all of you guys use to prevent theft. Its a shame we even have to think like this but what can you do.

thanks for looking.

PMEmail Poster
laker74
Posted: Aug 05, 2018 - 10:08 am

Parr Trout

So far I concluded a 111 ppl don't use trail cameras

PMEmail Poster
deerhunter
Posted: Aug 05, 2018 - 10:42 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10322

I had one of trail cameras stolen on private land. The owners of the land hired some contractors to build a small cabin on the land and those clowns found my trail camera and stole it. The owner of the property confronted them and they returned it to me... with lots of pictures of their stupid faces on the camera trying to figure out how it works.

In the past I placed a trail camera 12 feet up in tree by my tree stand facing downward so that it was not at eye level. It worked. Caught lots of pics of deer and humans too. Also, the last camera I bought has black LED's so that it doesn't reveal itself in the dark to wondering people.

PMEmail Poster
laker74
Posted: Aug 06, 2018 - 05:55 am

Parr Trout

Thanks deer hunter, I am glad you recovered your camera, I don't know why people feel the need to steal other peoples belongings.

placing the cameras above eye level seems to be a common strategy for keeping cameras out of arms reach, seen a few guys on youtube who go the extra mile to camo them up a bit to help conceal them.

PMEmail Poster
coldmike1
Posted: Aug 06, 2018 - 01:56 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3039

I have a hunt camp in wmu50, has been in my family for many years. only in the last few years has there been an issue with theft. cameras are easy to conceal, I would never think of putting up a sign saying "smile your on camera" In our area game cameras are not used so much to spot game cause over the years you know where game is but as a way to curb damage and theft at your camp. with a bit of thinking and realizing that most people do damage on short thought, its not hard to hide things from them. look for whats obvious to you but not the average joe going thru the bush, shouldn't be a problem from there on

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Aug 06, 2018 - 09:33 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 15869

QUOTE (deerhunter @ Aug 05, 2018 - 10:42 am)
I had one of trail cameras stolen on private land. The owners of the land hired some contractors to build a small cabin on the land and those clowns found my trail camera and stole it. The owner of the property confronted them and they returned it to me... with lots of pictures of their stupid faces on the camera trying to figure out how it works.

In the past I placed a trail camera 12 feet up in tree by my tree stand facing downward so that it was not at eye level. It worked. Caught lots of pics of deer and humans too. Also, the last camera I bought has black LED's so that it doesn't reveal itself in the dark to wondering people.

I put a trail camera 12 feet up in a tree looking down a logging road where moose tracks were plentiful. Got some great moose pics and lots of vehicles and four wheelers but nobody stole my camera either. I donít think people look up and even if they do see it they canít reach it.

PMEmail Poster
Fishing Rod
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 03:50 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4539

I put one up behind my house and used long lag bolts with a small head. Doubt people would have the socket bit and if they want to turn a 2" screw with a multi tool have fun.

PMEmail Poster
laker74
Posted: Aug 15, 2018 - 05:07 pm

Parr Trout

almost have my set up done, will post pics soon

PMEmail Poster
laker74
Posted: Aug 20, 2018 - 06:06 pm

Parr Trout

So this is what I came up with, it's a small metal bracket that I will attach to a tree with a leg screw, the camera attaches to the bracket using a clevis pin that I added a small padlock on. I also took some of your guys advice on placing the camera above eye level, approximately 7-8ft. I know it's not full proof but I think it should deter most people. Thanks for looking!

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
laker74
Posted: Aug 20, 2018 - 06:13 pm

Parr Trout

Having problems adding more photos bare with me

PMEmail Poster
laker74
Posted: Aug 20, 2018 - 06:41 pm

Parr Trout

try this again, pic #2

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
laker74
Posted: Aug 20, 2018 - 06:41 pm

Parr Trout

pic #3

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
laker74
Posted: Aug 20, 2018 - 06:42 pm

Parr Trout

pic#4

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Aug 20, 2018 - 08:08 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

Nice, gives us some ideas.

Found something else that makes you really wonder.
Master Python Cable Lock no good.

PM
trapperdirk
Posted: Aug 29, 2018 - 02:58 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4400

Looks good laker74 and like others have said hide them well and what I mostly do . Even bears can be thieves so I often use some " scent away " so them black rats don't get a whiff of my last sandwich I handled . Like your prototype . Thumbs up .

TD

PM

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Marketplace