shooterstandby
Posted: Aug 17, 2018 - 07:31 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16268

Hi everybody,
On behalf of the hunters in my group and hopefully many others
I addressed a letter that I sent to MNR that contains among other things many
grievances we all have regarding moose tag allocations, calf season, tag automatic
transfer and others. You will find it attached to this post.
Anyway, I would like to know your opinions, and if you have more info, or suggestions bring them up in your comments. If you agree with at least some of the things in the letter please forward it to your friends, post it on Facebook etc. I would appreciate if you take the time to read it and hopefully endorse it.
Help to make an impact in voicing our disappointment in the way MNR conducts business and offer solutions to issues we have. There are very few active forums and I think we need to make our voices heard.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Limacharley
Posted: Aug 17, 2018 - 11:07 am

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 11791

Are you presenting a paper or simply asking the MNR to change the tag system because if I worked for the MNR and got this letter, I would not consider it one bit:

1-its too long
2-full of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors
3-you're trying to tackle too many issues by yourself

If you were a University or the OFAH then it would be acceptable and taken more seriously.

Advice-cut it down and just speak about the tag system. No more than 200-300 words.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
shooterstandby
Posted: Aug 17, 2018 - 11:21 am

Alevin

I appreciate your input. I would respond first.
True is long, but there are quite a few issues and if I wouldn't have addressed them they would be ignored. Also I think that in order to be taken seriously I had to present supporting data. For spelling i used spell checker, however I am first generation Canadian and my grammar needs improvement.
One thing I didn't hear from you is weather you found anything in the letter that you agree with. I guess that was the main idea about posting it here, to get people's input.

PMEmail Poster
Limacharley
Posted: Aug 17, 2018 - 12:07 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 11791

I have not done any research like you therefore I cannot dispute your data. But why would the minister of MNRF want to read your letter? Ask yourself that.

You have very good points but just put them down in a letter not a research paper.

I used to moose hunt in Ontario but gave it up. I hunt in Quebec now.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
mydogbites
Posted: Aug 17, 2018 - 12:39 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 414

If your not already a OFAH member become one and bring your concerns and letter to them. They are our voice that will represent us as a NGO (non government organization. I am not a moose hunter, or, did any research on your topic, so I am not qualified to speak on what you asked for. However I do know a single person voicing an opinion seldom turns a politicians ear. Good luck in your quest and I applaud you for all your attempts.

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Aug 17, 2018 - 02:20 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

QUOTE (mydogbites @ Aug 17, 2018 - 12:39 pm)
If your not already a OFAH member become one and bring your concerns and letter to them. They are our voice that will represent us as a NGO (non government organization. I am not a moose hunter, or, did any research on your topic, so I am not qualified to speak on what you asked for. However I do know a single person voicing an opinion seldom turns a politicians ear. Good luck in your quest and I applaud you for all your attempts.

I'm not a hunter, and when I looked at this, I thought, far too long for me to read.
I'll let those that hunt respond.

However, I have to back up "Mydogbites" on his suggestion of the OFAH. The membership is, I think, around 100,000 or more and the Ministry does listen to them.
If you can get them on side with you, you might get somewhere.

On your own with the Government, "you are just a voice crying in the wilderness."

I know, because I have been there on a fishing issue and even when the OFAH got involved, in this instance it didn't change what the Dept. of Highways did on Hwy 26 at Craigleith.

You obviously put a lot of work and effort into your presentation and I commend you for that.

Good luck.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
shooterstandby
Posted: Aug 17, 2018 - 04:02 pm

Alevin

By profession, I am an engineer, and I learned that you never go far without facts. You get dismissed very easy without them. A letter would not be taken seriously. I understand that the other side of the coin is the point you make that is long. I wish I could have find a compromise. Another reason for being long is that it covers three main problems each with different aspects. Also I didn't want to only criticize but also offer suggestions for these problems.
Maybe I should just post a condensed version and attach the file for people who want to get more information. I'll keep that in mind.
Sorry to hear that you do your hunting in Quebec. Hope you come back to Ontario if things change.

PMEmail Poster
Fishsniffer
Posted: Aug 19, 2018 - 07:03 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1597

I do hunt heavily in Ontario and it has to be the worst area for rules and regulations. $$$$$ is all there looking for.

Having 13 - 18 people apply for 1 adult moose tag is b/s.

Cheaper to hunt out side of Ontario, with less rules and regulations.

As for your letter I hope they do take some time to read it. I just donít think any changes will accur with them .

Same sceniorio with land developers lineing up pockets in townships to build subdivisions. $$$$$$$ talks

PMEmail Poster
deerhunter
Posted: Aug 22, 2018 - 12:24 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10322

Good letter (but I think you tried to accomplish to much in a single letter).

At the minimum it will inspire more of us to take specific action to deal with the outdated and misbegotten practices of MNRF.

We are literally the final custodians of Ontario's natural resources, we should therefore have a bigger say in how these resources are governed, controlled, and utilized.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Marketplace