Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Climber stands
Sabotfish
Posted: Sep 10, 2018 - 10:04 am

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 5290

Hey does anyone have any climber stand safety advice. Any gear they use, harness systems, placement etc. Any tips for travelling with one as a backpack. I would greatly appreciate it. Bought one this summer and want to hear a little more on them before my first hunt

PMEmail Poster
king killer
Posted: Sep 10, 2018 - 11:08 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3332

You wont be dissapointed. Make sure you practice with it. As for safety always make sure the bottum portion is connected to the upper with a rope or something. These are a must for anyone serious about deer hunting. Also bring a small handsaw and make sure your tree relatively straight.

PMEmail Poster
Mr Meat
Posted: Sep 10, 2018 - 12:29 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 15336

Yup have a rope to join the top to bottom so you donít loose the bottom climbing,take it out and try on a couple different trees to get some practice. One thing I do is my rope for pulling up my bow I measure at 18 ft tie on top piece and when I feel the wait of the bow I know that Iím at my height!

PMEmail Poster
Team Rapo
Posted: Sep 11, 2018 - 05:56 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 5705

Iíve watched a YouTube video of a couple guys using these. While they look cool and the advice here is sound I think personally I would be more comfortable climbing with spurs and then pulling up a bow or arm. They seem a bit cumbersome is all.

PM
fishermarky
Posted: Sep 13, 2018 - 07:28 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 1333

Purchased a climber stand last year before the bow hunt. Cant believe I hunted for 5 years before purchasing a climber. You can go anywhere with them. And easy to use once you get the hang of it...and very simple to climb up and down. Your in your stand in no time ready to hunt. yes, a rope down to a preferred length is ideal. Once your bow leaves the ground you know your at the height that you would like to sit at. im usually up 20 ft or so, making myself less volunerable to be picked off by the deer.

PMEmail Poster
fishermarky
Posted: Sep 13, 2018 - 07:29 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 1333

And yes, always use a harness, I use a lanyard and just keep moving it up around the tree as I climb.

PMEmail Poster
kokemachine
Posted: Sep 14, 2018 - 11:46 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4328

I have a Summit Viper SD. I love it. I hunt on crown land a lot so it's easy to walk in and out with. I just set up a few areas and cruise in with the climber. Sometimes it's as easy as walking in blind and just picking a tree. A few people say you'll never find trees that are perfectly straight but they aren't that hard to find. Certain kinds of trees with slick bark can be a little unnerving to climb because the climber will slip a little before biting in. You get used to it though. If they are available for the model of climber you have I suggest you purchase some accessory bags that attach to the gun rail of the climber. I have three on mine and I can put everything I would put in a back pack into them. It simplifies things. As well you may work up a sweat while climbing so I suggest you wear the bear minimum of gear and then put on the thermal stuff when you are settled in.

PMEmail Poster
Sabotfish
Posted: Sep 25, 2018 - 07:32 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 5290

Thanks for the replies guys. Iím still trying to find the right diameter trees while I practice. I keep finding each tree I setup on my stand leans forward the higher I get even with my cables fastened to the tightest point on the stand. Does that mean I should be using a larger tree?

PMEmail Poster
Lazinator
Posted: Sep 25, 2018 - 07:39 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 589

QUOTE (Sabotfish @ Sep 25, 2018 - 07:32 am)
Thanks for the replies guys. Iím still trying to find the right diameter trees while I practice. I keep finding each tree I setup on my stand leans forward the higher I get even with my cables fastened to the tightest point on the stand. Does that mean I should be using a larger tree?

Yep, you want your climber to point upwards when you are at the bottom of the tree.
As you climb higher the tree will get narrower and the climber will level out.

PMEmail Poster
king killer
Posted: Sep 25, 2018 - 07:53 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3332

Mine came with a ratchett strap. This helps level your platform out when "locking in". Trees get narrower the higher they go. I absolutley swear by a climber and honestly think they are completely safe when used properly. I usually hunt 25-30ft in mine.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Marketplace