Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> pigeon lake ice?
wyatthayward
Posted: Feb 08, 2019 - 06:31 pm

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 16660

hey guys I was hoping to hit pigeon tommorw afternoon, is there any areas with unsafe ice conditions that I should avoid?

PMEmail Poster
KRASHED
Posted: Feb 09, 2019 - 09:58 am

Fry

Member No.: 16820

Not many people out on the south end. I've been trying to find panfish but haven't had much luck. No issues with ice north of the bridge at Emily park. Under the bridge is always a no no.

There were some pressure cracks by Potash Street where I stumbled on 3 inches of ice. Away from the crack was back to a foot and a half.

The 3 Sisters have lots of ice.

I'd stick with the north end of the lake but keep well away from The outflow from Bobcaygeon towards Boyd Island.

Let me know how you make out. I'd like to find some decent fishing.

PMEmail Poster
KRASHED
Posted: Feb 09, 2019 - 10:05 am

Fry

I've wanted to fish around Steamboat island. Some really good features underwater there but I'm not sure about the ice there. Maybe someone else can chime in.

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Feb 11, 2019 - 11:55 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8547

Hey Guys,

My parents just bought a place across the lake from the gannons narrows. When i look out i only see approximately 2-3 huts at any given time. my view goes from approximately around camp ashtabula/camp fisherman to the left and a fair ways up the south end. i fished straight out for a total of about 18-20 hours and caught 2 bluegills. and all the dink perch i could handle (biggest being 4 inchs) nothing else. I have been making my trips to chemong and have been doing very well. i have only ice fished pigeon twice in my life now (both this season and have been unlucky. cannot find any weeds at all where we are which is why im assuming we are not finding the fish. what we can see is at the mouth of the gannons narrows into pigeon is wide open water so anywhere near the mouths of inlets or rivers, i would definitely steer clear.

Cant wait for muskie season again!

hope this helps

PMEmail Poster
KRASHED
Posted: Feb 11, 2019 - 02:47 pm

Fry

It's so strange how that appears to be the norm for a lot of the lake from what I here from others. They've gotta be around somewhere but i'm thinking it may be more around the open water areas like Bobcaygeon and Gannons.

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Feb 11, 2019 - 03:26 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8547

My thoughts exactly krashed! I know there is that deep hole near the mouth of the gannons narrows. last year after that extreme cold front that came through that saw 4 days of -30 before wind chill. i brought my spud with me and drilled. and cracked through the ice with my spud on 2 strikes before i even passed fothergill island... its WIDE open right now as im sitting here looking out. and the funny thought of bringing a kayak to the furthest point of safe ice then jumping in it with my spud to use the spud to push me over the remaining part of the unsafe ice to fish it haha. but then again everytime i try kayaking, its never a dry experience and that thought never lasts more than 0.2 seconds in my head haha. its more of a funny dumb idea that i get. Im sure, now that my parents have the lake front property, ill figure them out. i did catch 1 gill around 11" the one time i was out there, but released it because it was the first gill i caught, and it was almost dark out and it was the first fish id marked in about an hour

PMEmail Poster
KRASHED
Posted: Feb 11, 2019 - 08:24 pm

Fry

Next time I'm on Pigeon I'm going to try steamboat. Just finding a healthy patch of weeds seems to be the biggest thing. I'll let you know how I make out.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace