Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Boat regulations
Donkey88
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 04:18 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 4851

I’m just wondering what it all needed to take my boat out on the lake this fall and be legal. It is 18 foot long.

PMEmail Poster
Neil
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 05:27 am

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 4203

Assume this is what you are asking for.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp-tp...ipment-3018.htm

Neil

PMEmail Poster
ehssoul
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 10:18 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7132

Do you have a boat/pleasure craft license ? I'm pretty sure it was on the online course.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 11:55 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

QUOTE (ehssoul @ Aug 07, 2018 - 10:18 am)
Do you have a boat/pleasure craft license ? I'm pretty sure it was on the online course.

Exactly.

PMEmail Poster
HardlyCore
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 12:25 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8169

QUOTE (fishmagnet @ Aug 07, 2018 - 11:55 am)
QUOTE (ehssoul @ Aug 07, 2018 - 10:18 am)

Exactly.

maybe he has an 18' canoe. No pleasure craft license needed. . .

PMEmail Poster
ahalls
Posted: Aug 17, 2018 - 09:04 pm

Fry

Member No.: 2638

Don't forget the fire extinguisher! I was stopped on Simcoe this week by a police boat off Georgina Island - had everything required but not the extinguisher,,,$240 fine!! Thought I had it on board too but must have removed it last fall and not have put in back.. Ouch!!

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Aug 18, 2018 - 09:59 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (ahalls @ Aug 17, 2018 - 09:04 pm)
Don't forget the fire extinguisher! I was stopped on Simcoe this week by a police boat off Georgina Island - had everything required but not the extinguisher,,,$240 fine!! Thought I had it on board too but must have removed it last fall and not have put in back.. Ouch!!

Yeah it happens... we can say “make a check list”. Double check, triple check. But as soon as ice out all we can think about is getting the boat wet and off we go!

With the OP question.... too many people recently asked me the same question. My neighbour just picked up a ski boat. Did his pleasure craft license online. Had no clue what he needed... bought the boat before he took the corse online.... did a license for his dad at the same time. These people going to be pulling their 6-10 y/o kids around the lakes. It really shows that this system is not working. My neighbour never even driven a rental 9.9hp boat in his life. Went straight into a 5.0L ski boat. Does not even have a truck that can pull it. Did not know the tow weight of his RAV4.

Heads up... by winter I might have someone looking to sell a ski boat. He paid $55,000 for it. I say half price? Take it or leave it frozen to the lake!

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Aug 18, 2018 - 10:57 am

World Record Trout

Don't think a lot of people know that a fire extinguishers have an expiration date..
The year it was manufactered is stamped on the bottom. It must be taken out of service after 12 years... We were stopped once by opp on the BOQ and they actually checked the date. Couldn't believe it but we were ok our extinguisher still had 3 years left...
Been stopped many times since and no one else has checked the date, everything else and asked to see ours but never checked the year..
Cheers folks and hope we never have to use them..

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Aug 18, 2018 - 12:32 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (fishmagnet @ Aug 18, 2018 - 10:57 am)

Don't think a lot of people know that a fire extinguishers have an expiration date..
The year it was manufactered is stamped on the bottom. It must be taken out of service after 12 years... We were stopped once by opp on the BOQ and they actually checked the date. Couldn't believe it but we were ok our extinguisher still had 3 years left...
Been stopped many times since and no one else has checked the date, everything else and asked to see ours but never checked the year..

Actually, they are supposed to be checked annually. that is why the tag is there.

kind of ridiculous, but is what it is.

mine stay on the boat and I just invert them once or twice every seaon

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
fishmagnet
Posted: Aug 18, 2018 - 05:01 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Longshank @ Aug 18, 2018 - 12:32 pm)
QUOTE (fishmagnet @ Aug 18, 2018 - 10:57 am)

Actually, they are supposed to be checked annually. that is why the tag is there.

kind of ridiculous, but is what it is.

mine stay on the boat and I just invert them once or twice every seaon

I thought that only applies to businesses such as yours..
Of course I make sure every year that it is still
full/in the green..

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace