Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Walleye Rod Suggestions for Nip?
SKRAMO
Posted: Apr 24, 2018 - 05:50 am

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3999

Just throwing this out there....I broke the tip off my old walleye rod last year (no not on a fish....stepped on the tip while walking around the deck of the boat....FALK .....lol). I have searched the net for suggestions and reviews on all kinds of rods for walleye. I have now come to seek the advice of the nipissing experts (and no I don't expect to see ten thousand instant replies like some newbies on this board....lol)

So far, I am liking what I see in the Fenwick line of rods, and the St. Croix Eyecon series. BUT....there are all kinds of lengths, handle types, actions, etc.

Nipissing is pretty much a mixed bag...trolling and jigging. Depends on your style and location on the lake. I have always had a challenge hooking my fish solid...they seem to just be lightly caught and more times than not fall off the hook in the net or just as I get them in the boat. Perhaps a better hookset is needed? (i.e. faster action on the tip of the rod?).

Any suggestions (and help with retail places, websites, etc.) is much appreciated.

Oh ya....I will pair this rod with a Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500F. FYI: I highly recommend this reel....super smooth....casts a mile. Best reel I have ever owned....have had it for over 8 years now...still performs like its new! It is a little pricey....but in the long run I have not had to buy a walleye reel for a very long time....so do the math!

SKRAMO..... }-)))0>.........

PMEmail Poster
FishBait
Posted: Apr 24, 2018 - 06:15 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 10143

LOL, he must have be an only child to be so demanding..... My opinion on a fishing rod- I buy G Loomis. I know they are the most expensive but you canít beat the combination of strength and sensitivity. Matching up with a braided line you will feel the lightest walleye strike that 90 perecent of other rods will miss. GLX Bass series works for walleye, bass and pike. Six to seven feet, fast or extra fast tip, up to 5/8 jig weight.

PMEmail Poster
Neil
Posted: Apr 24, 2018 - 06:50 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4203

I broke the tip off mine years ago but glued it back on and still use it today. I just really liked the feel of the rod for walleye. I bought a replacement but didn't like it as much so I go back to old faithful.

Neil

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Apr 24, 2018 - 08:03 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

7ft minium... I've never bought a real expensive rod for myself or the wife and we never have any issues of missing lite bites.. When walleye are biting soft it's all about paying attention and being ready.. IMO..
CHEERS..

PMEmail Poster
scottburgess14
Posted: Apr 24, 2018 - 10:57 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12966

Are you looking for a 1 piece or 2 or more? I bought my girlfriend a abu Garcia Ike one piece and the rod is super sensitive to the point that you can feel perch hit on it with a light bite. I swear it gives the ultra light a run for its money when it comes to sensitivity. I think itís 6í6Ē and medium base. Itís the one rod Iíve bought her that she wonít let me use when sheís not around because she likes it so much. Iíve got that one paired with a pflueger president.

PMEmail Poster
SKRAMO
Posted: Apr 24, 2018 - 12:09 pm

Adult Trout

Thanks for the replies so far....very good insight here...

I would say I am thinking a one piece rod as I can leave it in my boat and not have to jam a 7' rod in my vehicle.

(I also have a plflueger reel...I find the bail and reel is a bit farther out on those from the stem than most other reels and I mis-cast a lot with it...meaning the line catch is too far from my finger to easily grab and let go....could be just my hand.....dunno)

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Apr 24, 2018 - 03:35 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8318

QUOTE (fishmagnet @ Apr 24, 2018 - 09:03 am)
7ft minium... I've never bought a real expensive rod for myself or the wife and we never have any issues of missing lite bites.. When walleye are biting soft it's all about paying attention and being ready.. IMO..
CHEERS..

X 2. I use an eagle claw ultralight as my walleye rod, they are very sensitive for the price and a barrel of laughs, they curl up like a 25 pound salmon is on the line with a 2 lb fish.

drawback, last year I was pitching it around in a pike hole with a spinner and ended up in a battle with a pike over 10lbs. it was interesting to say the least, thankfully it didn't head for the weeds and I was able to land it.

as you know, you just never know in nip what you might have hit your bait.

like your story began I break poles pretty regularly so I never spend a pile of money on one. it seems they tend to wonder to the wrong place at the wrong time too often??

PMEmail Poster
Alleyes
Posted: Apr 24, 2018 - 03:49 pm

Fry

Member No.: 12803

I prefer using Loomis GLX walleye series or St. Croix tournament walleye but these rods won't exactly take a beating. For the price Fenwick HMG rods are fairly sensitive, light, and durable.

PMEmail Poster
scottburgess14
Posted: Apr 24, 2018 - 06:20 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12966

Just curious, what is your price range because that will dictate what you can get as well.

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Apr 25, 2018 - 09:40 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8318

maybe you should try this, it wont matter if you step on these??

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
SKRAMO
Posted: Apr 26, 2018 - 06:38 am

Adult Trout

Lol westarm.....you may be on to something there....perhaps its the guy holding the rod that is the issue.....

As far as price goes...that is another topic. Does one spend a bit more for a better rod...or is it actually worth the money? Everyone slams ugly sticks....but I have had a few...solid rods there.

Anyway, I do appreciate all the replies to this thread. It's nice to have the insight of this board and so many experienced people chime in. I thank you kindly. I plan on hitting a few tackle shops and places soon to actually hold a few rods to check them out. I am thinking 7 foot minimum for walleye (may solve my hookset issue as all my rods now are under 7 foot). Price and feel will likely be the deciding factor for me....or if I see any straight sticks in the bush along my trip i may just pull over and hack them off. I definitely will check out the rods mentioned here.

Cheers all...thanks again. Good luck this season and be safe out there...opener will be frigid cold water still..wear your life jacket so at least you have a chance of survival !

SKRAMO.....}-)))0>..........

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace