Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Ľ Fishing Forum
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> River question
sniperlee
Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 07:06 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 939

I have a question for the river warriors. I basically fish one river/creek and I'm getting to know it fairly well. Its a small river,east trib. That said, its blown and will probably remain that way if the weather man is correct.
So heres the question; will a big river clear faster than a small one? I know theres many factors to consider but overall thoughts on the matter is what im after.

I'm thinking of hitting the credit sunday. which to me is a big river. After the rain of recent days my river is blown up. Will the credit be any better? Please let me know your thoughts.

PMEmail Poster
DSeibel
Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 08:49 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 6540

Larger rivers have a larger watershed so they typically always take longer to drop and clear. However they do take more rain to blow out. Smaller rivers will rise quicker and with less rain but will also clear quicker. Getting out on a day when the river is on itís way down and clearing is your best bet. Your window of opportunity on small rivers is smaller in this regard. Saying that donít stay home if itís high, or low (unless itís really blown and safety is a factor). In my opinion your true test is to be adaptable when the conditions are less than perfect. Adjust for the conditions.

PMEmail Poster
sniperlee
Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 10:04 pm

World Record Trout

Thanks for the education. I'm just getting discouraged from the results this year. Waters been low n slow. Now high n dirty.

Does anybody really catch fish in brown water? I've tried over a dozen times and I've never hooked anything but bottom. I know its fishing but jeez. After 35-40 min drive to the river i cant just go home because the rivers blown. I try and try... Phew! I feel better. Anyways I'll give er a go on sunday. Come hell or high water! Probably both. 😞

Use your wading staff people.

PMEmail Poster
1stdrift
Posted: Nov 03, 2018 - 06:05 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9278

I fished brown water today....thereís dark brown totally blown and then thereís brown when it has cleared somewhat...also lots wind today so lots of leaves and debri in water...I went 0-2....both as soon as I hooked them they jump out of water and lost both...put on bright colours in dirty water....to answer your question I donít mind somewhat brown water yesturday I would not have fished it.

PMEmail Poster
DSeibel
Posted: Nov 03, 2018 - 08:58 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 6540

If you can stand in shin deep water and see your boots itís fishable. Just use common sense. Bigger baits, bright colours, just experiment. We fished in brown water today and hooked 5. Not a banner day but lots were caught. And if your getting bottom occasionally thatís a good thing, your in the strike zone. Iíve fished my whole life for everything that swims, and the learning curve for steelhead is steep, keep at it, itíll come. The more difficult at first the more rewarding itíll be.

PMEmail Poster
sniperlee
Posted: Nov 04, 2018 - 09:05 pm

World Record Trout

So true about reward. The fish definitely get my respect. I handle them as gently as possible and release.

Well today was another bust. Ended up on an east trib. Too windy for the credit. Water is a day away from being that beautiful deep green. Unfortunately rain is on the way again. I Spoke to a bunch of fisherman that were also having a bad day.
Theres always next weekend.

PMEmail Poster
yakfisher
Posted: Nov 06, 2018 - 07:29 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 962

A muddy bottom river will take a few days to clear over a gravel bottom.
In the east you have both so there is usually a fishable river somewhere.

PMEmail Poster
sniperlee
Posted: Nov 06, 2018 - 06:47 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (yakfisher @ Nov 06, 2018 - 07:29 am)
A muddy bottom river will take a few days to clear over a gravel bottom.
In the east you have both so there is usually a fishable river somewhere.

Good point. Never did the river hopping thing as some do. Guess I'll have to give it a try.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Nov 07, 2018 - 11:20 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10908

River hopping can save a day. Sometimes when you expect the river you know well to be fishable it isnít as it may have rained in the head waters and not down lower where you fish. This could blow out the river youíre on but the next creek over could be prime. Learn all the surrounding rivers and their tendancies after rain hits and you may find Steelheading easier.

PMEmail Poster
sniperlee
Posted: Nov 07, 2018 - 03:19 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Disco @ Nov 07, 2018 - 11:20 am)
River hopping can save a day. Sometimes when you expect the river you know well to be fishable it isnít as it may have rained in the head waters and not down lower where you fish. This could blow out the river youíre on but the next creek over could be prime. Learn all the surrounding rivers and their tendancies after rain hits and you may find Steelheading easier.

Yes i kinda figured out the headwaters thing. The hard way. I went to the river one day thinking it would be ideal since it hadnt rained down here. Wrong she was blown. I always look to the north now. I got spoiled last year, my first, as the weather and river conditions were perfect as far as i knew. This year has been adverse for sure.

My go to river is very silty (giveaway?) So the rain really turns it ugly quick. I'll have to hit a more rocky stream next time. I did try oshawa once but conditions were very low. It gave me a chance to see the contours and make up of the river so that was good.

Trial and error. Lovin every minute of it....almost.

PMEmail Poster
Sabotfish
Posted: Nov 07, 2018 - 03:25 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 5290

6Ē of visibility is prime for catching steel. Use larger presentations and if you know the river/creek youíll know where the pockets that hold fish still are. Just a matter of adjustment while you fish to make sure you get the drifts past them. Fish still gotta eat

PMEmail Poster
sniperlee
Posted: Nov 07, 2018 - 11:59 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Sabotfish @ Nov 07, 2018 - 03:25 pm)
6Ē of visibility is prime for catching steel. Use larger presentations and if you know the river/creek youíll know where the pockets that hold fish still are. Just a matter of adjustment while you fish to make sure you get the drifts past them. Fish still gotta eat

I'm mainly a roe fisherman with the occasional pinkie and bead thrown in. I mainly tie 3-5 eggs/sac. Guess I'll have to up a few to 6-8.
I believe confidence pays a huge part in fishing succes and I'm not there yet. Gotta get that first dirty water bow. This weekend could be the one. Al least I'll be better prepared this time.
Thanks for the great advice guys.

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Nov 08, 2018 - 12:45 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6034

QUOTE (sniperlee @ Nov 07, 2018 - 04:19 pm)

Yes i kinda figured out the headwaters thing. The hard way. I went to the river one day thinking it would be ideal since it hadnt rained down here. Wrong she was blown. I always look to the north now. I got spoiled last year, my first, as the weather and river conditions were perfect as far as i knew. This year has been adverse for sure.

My go to river is very silty (giveaway?) So the rain really turns it ugly quick. I'll have to hit a more rocky stream next time. I did try oshawa once but conditions were very low. It gave me a chance to see the contours and make up of the river so that was good.

Yes, giveaway. As a general rule the further east you go the quicker they clear. There is almost always somewhere that's "on". Check the stream gauges at https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/ , set up a list that's relevant to you and you can plan your attack accordingly. With a little leg work you'll have a pretty good idea as to what river to hit and what size and colour bags and baits you'll want.

PMEmail Poster
sniperlee
Posted: Nov 08, 2018 - 09:09 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Chuck Enwinde @ Nov 08, 2018 - 12:45 am)
QUOTE (sniperlee @ Nov 07, 2018 - 04:19 pm)

Yes, giveaway. As a general rule the further east you go the quicker they clear. There is almost always somewhere that's "on". Check the stream gauges at https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/ , set up a list that's relevant to you and you can plan your attack accordingly. With a little leg work you'll have a pretty good idea as to what river to hit and what size and colour bags and baits you'll want.

Thanks for the link. I've been looking for that site. Once i figure out what I'm looking at I'll put it to good use.

PMEmail Poster
yakfisher
Posted: Nov 08, 2018 - 01:44 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 962

There is another app you can get that is sometimes more reliable than the government one.
You may have to pay a couple of bucks. It is called RiverApp.
It is designed for kayakers however it has all the info you will need for the levels.
I find it more user friendly than the government site as well.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Great Lakes
Fishing forum for the Great Lakes & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in the Great Lakes!

Marketplace