Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Looking for a fish finder, Need advice on purchase
Fishnhunt
Posted: Jul 19, 2018 - 06:45 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 15869

I’m looking for a fish finder that would work as a portable on a tinny in the summer and also work for ice fishing for lakers and whitefish in the winter. It would be nice if it had a rechargeable battery as opposed to C or D cells(money pit)and a suction cup transducer. Just wondering what everyone’s experience has been. Thanks in advance,tight lines.

PMEmail Poster
Dsj123
Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 06:57 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 4630

I was in similar situation. I went with the helix 5 with sonar and down imaging works well in deeper water lots of interference it seems with the sonar under 10ft water probably from the boat and motor. . I was worried about the suction cup would let go. currently using c clamps and a piece of wood. It will hold while on plane but makes a good spray and occasionally miss reads. Lately I have just been putting it in the water once I arrive to the fishing spot and troll until a suitable area.

PMEmail Poster
vibrato
Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 07:03 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 8027

hello, I would suggest the portable garmin 4 striker, its an awesome unit! I use it on my 12ft aluminum and it has a flasher on it also for winter. Comes with suction cup and can be screwed right in place also. Comes with a battery and cables for charging. All fits in a portable bag for easy transportation. Hope this helps.

PMEmail Poster
thanh
Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 07:31 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3415

If you are going to use the unit for both soft and hard water, you will most likely going to need 2 transducers anyways. Ice ducer for ice fishing and transom mount ducer for the boat. The suction mount transducer may be a pain to setup and use on hard water. Just about any fish fish finder now and days can be made portable with a 12V rechargeable battery. So don't get caught up on having to have the suction mount unless it is a unit you plan on using on different boats at any given time.

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 09:31 am

Fry

Member No.: 15901

Friend only has the soft water transducer, he has mounted it in a piece of Styrofoam for winter use works well.

PMEmail Poster
Blake85
Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 10:07 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12915

I went for a Helix 7 for the boat and then bought the portable ice kit, bag, ice ducer, battery for $300. Works incredible for both applications, insanely sensitive. You can legit watch lakers chase a jig in nearly 100ft of water.

Night fishing I have to turn down the brightness as its sooooo bright. Super happy with it so far.

Hope this helps

Blake

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 02:44 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

QUOTE (sabmgb @ Jul 20, 2018 - 10:31 am)
Friend only has the soft water transducer, he has mounted it in a piece of Styrofoam for winter use works well.

I have done that too but the Xducer for my Elite 4 is too much of a tight fit in a 6" hole. My prev one was smaller---there are lots of Red Green type rig-ups on the net. I used a zip-tie to keep the ducer level.

PMEmail Poster
porkpie
Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 03:09 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4287

Helix 5 is what you want. I have one for the ice and for my sportspal canoe. It works great!

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Aug 06, 2018 - 09:14 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 15869

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I posted this request and then went to the cottage for a two week holiday and just got back tonight. Great info on rigging a transducer. Tight lines.

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 09:32 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10648

I use a Helix ten with down and side imaging.....transducer is a high speed and I atttach it to the boat on a aluminum bar......in the winter I put it on my ATV to use the GPS and Navionics to locate where I want to fish......then remove it from the ATV and use it in the hut.....I add a aluminum crossbar to the other aluminum bar and hang it in a hole.....works great for me.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
mike19
Posted: Aug 09, 2018 - 08:26 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15518

Echo the portable Garmin 4 Striker. Has been excellent for me. Clear, accurate and easy to use. Battery lasts all day easily. Seems solid up to 120 FOW in my experience.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace