Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Looking for a fish finder, Need advice on purchase
Fishnhunt
Posted: Jul 19, 2018 - 06:45 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 15869

Iím looking for a fish finder that would work as a portable on a tinny in the summer and also work for ice fishing for lakers and whitefish in the winter. It would be nice if it had a rechargeable battery as opposed to C or D cells(money pit)and a suction cup transducer. Just wondering what everyoneís experience has been. Thanks in advance,tight lines.

PMEmail Poster
Dsj123
Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 06:57 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 4630

I was in similar situation. I went with the helix 5 with sonar and down imaging works well in deeper water lots of interference it seems with the sonar under 10ft water probably from the boat and motor. . I was worried about the suction cup would let go. currently using c clamps and a piece of wood. It will hold while on plane but makes a good spray and occasionally miss reads. Lately I have just been putting it in the water once I arrive to the fishing spot and troll until a suitable area.

PMEmail Poster
vibrato
Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 07:03 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 8027

hello, I would suggest the portable garmin 4 striker, its an awesome unit! I use it on my 12ft aluminum and it has a flasher on it also for winter. Comes with suction cup and can be screwed right in place also. Comes with a battery and cables for charging. All fits in a portable bag for easy transportation. Hope this helps.

PMEmail Poster
thanh
Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 07:31 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3415

If you are going to use the unit for both soft and hard water, you will most likely going to need 2 transducers anyways. Ice ducer for ice fishing and transom mount ducer for the boat. The suction mount transducer may be a pain to setup and use on hard water. Just about any fish fish finder now and days can be made portable with a 12V rechargeable battery. So don't get caught up on having to have the suction mount unless it is a unit you plan on using on different boats at any given time.

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 09:31 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 15901

Friend only has the soft water transducer, he has mounted it in a piece of Styrofoam for winter use works well.

PMEmail Poster
Blake85
Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 10:07 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12915

I went for a Helix 7 for the boat and then bought the portable ice kit, bag, ice ducer, battery for $300. Works incredible for both applications, insanely sensitive. You can legit watch lakers chase a jig in nearly 100ft of water.

Night fishing I have to turn down the brightness as its sooooo bright. Super happy with it so far.

Hope this helps

Blake

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 02:44 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

QUOTE (sabmgb @ Jul 20, 2018 - 10:31 am)
Friend only has the soft water transducer, he has mounted it in a piece of Styrofoam for winter use works well.

I have done that too but the Xducer for my Elite 4 is too much of a tight fit in a 6" hole. My prev one was smaller---there are lots of Red Green type rig-ups on the net. I used a zip-tie to keep the ducer level.

PMEmail Poster
porkpie
Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 03:09 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4287

Helix 5 is what you want. I have one for the ice and for my sportspal canoe. It works great!

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Aug 06, 2018 - 09:14 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 15869

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I posted this request and then went to the cottage for a two week holiday and just got back tonight. Great info on rigging a transducer. Tight lines.

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 09:32 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10648

I use a Helix ten with down and side imaging.....transducer is a high speed and I atttach it to the boat on a aluminum bar......in the winter I put it on my ATV to use the GPS and Navionics to locate where I want to fish......then remove it from the ATV and use it in the hut.....I add a aluminum crossbar to the other aluminum bar and hang it in a hole.....works great for me.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
mike19
Posted: Aug 09, 2018 - 08:26 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15518

Echo the portable Garmin 4 Striker. Has been excellent for me. Clear, accurate and easy to use. Battery lasts all day easily. Seems solid up to 120 FOW in my experience.

PMEmail Poster
dereks2
Posted: Aug 20, 2018 - 11:16 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 6783

Garmin Striker 4 I have used it two winters now it works very well, I mounted the soft water transducer on a wooden cross to hold it straight in the ice hole and it works fine. Found the suction didnít work on my boat so i will be mounting it directly

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace