Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Wear Your Tether, Dont become a news story!
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Jul 22, 2018 - 02:39 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9047

Figured I should share a little story from a couple weeks ago because it felt pretty important.

I went up to Moor River last week to do some fishing in the fabled waters of Woods Bay and Blackstone Harbour. Before launching my boat I went inside to pay for my parking and launch fee.

I was greeted by a woman, and we spoke about the weather, and typical small talk. Her husband (I think) came through the front door and asked without hesitation You use your tether on that big tiller motor of yours? To which I responded Yeah, if Im really bombing around WOT, but not all the time.

The husband and wife looked at each other in an obvious enough way for me to ask why...

They went on to explain that a 2 days days earlier, some had seen a boat going in circles in front of the marina with no one in it. Everyone thought the person/people must have gotten to shore after falling out, as the shore was not too far away.

The locals and police searched the shore but could not locate the missing operator. They brought in the dive team, and 2 days later, the divers located the missing mans body in 16ft of water in Woods Bay just out front of the marina taxi lane. The body was removed just hours before, and I guess seeing another lone fisherman in a Tiller boat was an obvious point to mention the earlier tragedy.

Needless to say they were quite shaken but the events, and asked that I please be cautious when Fishing alone, and wear my tether.

I took a moment to think about the poor guy that fell overboard and never got to go home to see his loved ones again, and wore my tether much more than usual, also being sure to take additional care when moving around the boat when its running.

For those loved ones, my thoughts are with you.

Wear your tether boaters! Be safe out there.

Parry Sound News Article...

PARRY SOUND A search for a missing boater on Georgian Bay ended in tragedy Saturday.

Police confirmed on July 14 that the body of the missing boater on Georgian Bay has been recovered.

On Friday, July 13 at approximately noon, members of the West Parry Sound OPP responded to a report of a 16-foot aluminum boat turning in circles with no one in it on Georgian Bay in Woods Bay area of The Archipelago Township.

The West Parry Sound OPP Marine Unit immediately began to search for the boater with the assistance of the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre, Canadian Coast Guard and Ontario Provincial Park staff.

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Jul 22, 2018 - 05:33 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

Ya, the older I get, I seem to take the safer route, life jacket or vest on, hook up the tether switch, look 3 times before crossing the road, etc. I want to spend my pension, all of it, and want you younger types to pay lots of taxes so I can relax.

PM
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Jul 22, 2018 - 06:21 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1AkgjPkCQXc

I shared that video with my buddies a month ago and the very next trip the tether was on and tested. He bought a new boat last year and never tried it. We had to make sure it worked as well. A few times not on purpose as he stood up to move a rod it killed the engine by accident. But it is nice to know it works.

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Jul 22, 2018 - 07:44 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

I frequently fish by myself, and I always wear the tether even though my boat is not a tiller.

The tether is about 3 or 4 ft long and I have added another 4 ft of sash cord so that I can move easily to the back of the boat. There are times when I curse it when I get a foot or leg tangled in it, but I wouldn't be without it.

I also wear my inflatable PFD whenever I'm in the boat.

Better safe than sorry.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
steelheader
Posted: Jul 22, 2018 - 07:45 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 315

QUOTE (Fisherman @ Jul 22, 2018 - 05:33 pm)
Ya, the older I get, I seem to take the safer route, life jacket or vest on, hook up the tether switch, look 3 times before crossing the road, etc. I want to spend my pension, all of it, and want you younger types to pay lots of taxes so I can relax.

Yep, I'm with you , 70s now want to be fishing in the 90s

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Jul 22, 2018 - 08:36 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9047

QUOTE (sdcaller @ Jul 22, 2018 - 07:44 pm)
I frequently fish by myself, and I always wear the tether even though my boat is not a tiller.

The tether is about 3 or 4 ft long and I have added another 4 ft of sash cord so that I can move easily to the back of the boat. There are times when I curse it when I get a foot or leg tangled in it, but I wouldn't be without it.

I also wear my inflatable PFD whenever I'm in the boat.

Better safe than sorry.

SDC

Thats actually a great idea to add an extension so you can move around a bit. I have to admit, I take it off because of the limited travel the length gives me.

Im thinking a simple climbing clip on the back of my belt with a longer cord would be a great addition. Thanks for the tip SD!

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Jul 23, 2018 - 05:07 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11890

Early this season, I had to replace my tether. The old one was probably the original that came with the boat in 2000 and had lost it's coil so it was about 4ft long and kept getting caught in everything. The new one is about a foot long when coiled.
Last week while fishing in Picton, I had to get up after starting the motor. As soon as my rear was off the seat, the motor stopped. I LIKE IT!! My inflatable PFD is always on when I step into the boat, and the tether is attached before I touch the key. Old habit.

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Jul 23, 2018 - 09:05 am

Fry

Member No.: 15901

I have to admit that I don't wear it, it is really short. I don't have a tiller, but boat has low sides wouldn't be hard to fall or get thrown out it I was travelling at I speed. I do wear my PFD all the time.

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted: Jul 23, 2018 - 10:43 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10053

QUOTE (Fish4Dinner @ Jul 22, 2018 - 06:21 pm)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1AkgjPkCQXc

I shared that video with my buddies a month ago and the very next trip the tether was on and tested.  He bought a new boat last year and never tried it.  We had to make sure it worked as well.  A few times not on purpose as he stood up to  move a rod it killed the engine by accident.  But it is nice to know it works.

That video is very scary.
I always try to scare the safety into people by mentioning random mechanical failures. Most people have experience some sort of part failure and can relate to how random they can be.

I had my drone fall out of the sky due to a mechanical failure, no one was hurt (drone was totalled) but really made me much more careful about where i fly it. I have no patience for the idiots who fly theirs near playgrounds/parks where my kids are playing.

PMEmail Poster
porkpie
Posted: Jul 23, 2018 - 12:20 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4287

Good advice. I have an extension on mine. It's a tether designed for a kayak paddle. Lots of spring in it. I also have one made of cord for the kicker motor when I'm trolling. I sometimes fish alone in cold weather and I'd rather not die from something dumb if I can avoid it.

PMEmail Poster
Seguin Fisher
Posted: Jul 23, 2018 - 04:34 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 9952

Either by myself or with others in the boat, when Im running the big motor, its always wrapped around my leg ( easiest spot to reach from the dash). Only takes a split second to clip a log, shoal or have your steering break etc. at high speed, and Id like to be able to swim back to the boat rather than watch it drive off into the distance ( or worse).

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: Jul 24, 2018 - 07:29 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7713

Always put it on you never know when you kight have a accident. Better to be safe.

PMEmail Poster
poidy
Posted: Jul 24, 2018 - 10:43 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4591

yes sir stuff happens out there real fast....

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Longshank
Posted: Jul 25, 2018 - 07:11 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

really good advice.....I wear a pfd now 90% of the time, but the tether is another matter....think I just need to start doing it and getting ito habit of it.

as mentioned , when things go down south , it is always fast, not slow, so thanks for the great reminder here guys

PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace