Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Jack Plates, Jack Plate for a 1775 Lund
bassbeagle
Posted: Aug 06, 2018 - 07:52 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 12053

I am having a lot of cavitation problems with my 150 Merc. I have been told to look at either trim tabs on the boat or a Jack plate.

Have never seen Jack plates on an aluminum boat before.
Does anyone have any experience with them?

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: Aug 06, 2018 - 10:24 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7713

A jackplate is a specially designed mounting bracket for an outboard motor that lets you to raise or lower the motor vertically. Here are five very good reasons you need a jackplate for your boat.

It will make your boat go FASTER
A Jackplate will lift your engine and position your propeller closer to the water line. This removes much of the lower unit from the water which reduces drag and increases the speed of your boat. The additional setback of the Jackplate has the benefit of placing your propeller in cleaner, undisturbed water allowing your engine to work more efficiently.

Get INTO shallow water
With your engine up and your propeller closer to the water line you can safely get into and navigate shallow water. This is especially good if you’re one to troll through shallow water searching for fish.

Get OUT of shallow water
Accessorizing your boat with a Jackplate will allow you to lift your propeller away from the bottom so you can tuck under and get up on plane in shallow water.

ENHANCE Handling
Having your engine up and set back from the transom enhances handling. Additionally, putting your engine as low as it can go with a jack plate while navigating rough water gives the propeller more traction in the water.

IMPROVE Fuel Economy
Lifting the engine with a jack plate reduces drag and moves the propeller further away from the transom so as to avoid the boat’s turbulence as it travels through the water. Running with less drag means you will get further on less fuel.

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: Aug 06, 2018 - 10:32 pm

Trophy Trout

Trim tabs do much the same thing for a boat. They provide lift in order to compensate for changes in speed, weight distribution, and water conditions. When they are deflected downward, the water force on the trim tab creates upward pressure, raising the stern and reducing hull resistance.

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: Aug 06, 2018 - 10:35 pm

Trophy Trout

One thing before you start spending money on trim tabs or a jack plate. Make sure you have the correct prop and also make sure when you driving the boat you are not trimed up to high because this will also cause your issuse you having.

PMEmail Poster
ryenwater
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 11:25 am

Egg

Member No.: 500

I had issues with my Merc 150 4 stroke breaking the prop loose when accelerating. It came with an aluminum prop from the dealer. New stainless prop fixed the issue!

PMEmail Poster
Fishing Rod
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 03:45 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4539

Who told you this?

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 04:16 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 05:38 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10908

I had this issue with 1700 Crestliner. The boat was slightly nose heavy and the Live well is huge and is infront of the console waking the situation worse when the live well was full.

My first solution was to reword both trolling motor batteries to the back of the boat and move my battery charger back with them. I built a box for this. This took 120 lbs out of the very how where the old location was as to about 2 feet infront of the stern.

Made a massive difference. I picked up a couple of miles an hour top end and the boat planes out easier. I have also experienced better handling of larger waves as the boat now doesn’t want to take a nose dive in bigger wave action.

PMEmail Poster
miro
Posted: Aug 11, 2018 - 09:57 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3947

I just re powered my 18 foot aluminum deep v targa last week and removed the jack plate. No longer need it with the new engine. It's for sale, send me a pm if your interested. Located in Georgetown.

PMEmail Poster
bassbeagle
Posted: Aug 13, 2018 - 07:21 pm

Egg

Member No.: 12053

thanks

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace