Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Steel boat?, Anyone have any info?
VBB
Posted: Aug 09, 2018 - 04:01 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9650

Anyone have any experience or info on steel boats? Any pros and cons opposed to an aluminum apart from weight and how much of a difference in weight it really would be in comparison to aluminium. Boat is 14ft long. I tried to google it but just keep getting sailboat threads and thats it. Thanks.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Aug 09, 2018 - 04:47 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

This should help...
As well I have friend in Marten River that may have a steel boats for sale and I believe they are 14ft..

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Seguin Fisher
Posted: Aug 09, 2018 - 05:01 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 9952

My dad had a 15’ steel workboat with an 18 hp Nissan on it for years, I caught a ton of fish out of it when I was a kid. It would go about 22mph with one person and a bit of fishing gear in it. We had to paint it pretty much every year but otherwise it was a great rig. Pretty much indestructible, you could run it up on shore wherever you wanted. Only thing was the bench and front seat, if you stepped on it the wrong way or even if the air in it warmed up from the sun and expanded, there’d be a magnificent “BONG” and every fish in the immediate area would scatter like they’d been shot at
I have lots of good memories from the old steel monster!

PMEmail Poster
VBB
Posted: Aug 09, 2018 - 06:41 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 9650

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Appreciate it

PMEmail Poster
Muskyhunter
Posted: Aug 10, 2018 - 04:59 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 13060

I ran one for years at the camp. It was a great work boat to haul concrete, wood etc. They are indestructible but not a type of boat you would want to trailer around to different lakes. Mine was a 14 footer and it took two guys with all their strength to lift or roll it over. I finally gave it away to a friend.

PMEmail Poster
Dewdrop1965
Posted: Aug 10, 2018 - 06:30 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16249

Looking at steel verses alum.
Pros with steel, pretty much indiscructable ,dock rash can be resolved with touch up paint, better ( less pounding) is rough weather than alum. Can be a slow bumpy ride.likley less noisy than an alum boat although, I was in a rental boat that was steel years back it made a random " bang" periodically as the steel popped in and out which was not great for fishing in stealth mode ....
Cons , larger engine required to get you up on the water, not sure it would float if you got swammped ( depends on who built it ) ,requires semiannual painting in most cases pending amount of use, heavier trailer required to transport, fuel economy is less for sure, most important make sure it has some form of indication plate for max HP of motor and load max...... you will be stopped on simcoe at some point and home made boats without this info could be an issue.....
Not sure if that's helpful or what you are looking for but that's all I got cheers and good luck with your decision !

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace