Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Set Up Question
MCL83
Posted: Mar 04, 2019 - 11:32 am

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 3209

About to take our annual trip up to SSIC and it got me thinking about a debate that happens in our hut every year. Naturally we should track results but we all know when the sweet nectar is hitting your lips at a rapid pace sometimes things can become fuzzy. Never the less opinions to question below would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

When using the traditional split shot, hook, minnow combo does it make a difference if a wire leader is added into the equation? And more importantly does it affect the presentation to the fish? Our group is divided. One side believes there is no difference and the other says run the line directly to the hook.

Thanks again for your opinions and input.

Cheers!
M.

PMEmail Poster
Jackslab
Posted: Mar 04, 2019 - 11:40 am

Unregistered

I never use wire leader, tie directly to hook. IMO it makes a huge difference

johnsazzr
Posted: Mar 04, 2019 - 11:47 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 15771

I would avoid a leader...these fish rare finicky

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Mar 04, 2019 - 12:25 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

Since the posts started this year, most people have said that even when the bite is on, it is a lite bite

That in itself should answer your question.....

It's always said,,,,go lite , ultra lite for success on live bait presentations

So imo…….do not ever use wire, ..absolutely not required, ever

by adding wire , you greatly reduce the activity of the minnow presentation, no question about it

I took a group up a few years back and out of 8 guys there was one stubborn old school type.....20 ib test, wire leader and a hook I would have tossed years ago....after 3 days of fishing everybody got fish.....except him

did I say , never use wire

gl

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
$teve
Posted: Mar 04, 2019 - 12:30 pm

Fry

Member No.: 6754

Wire leaders are primarily used for pike, but in multi species waters it’s okay to be safe and use one when your in an area which can attract toothy fish, especially when there’s a chance to land a large one. I only use a wire leader on deadbait which I use a custom wire leader rig I tie myself, and the deadbait is usually fairly large. If your only using a minnow swimming on a hook then don’t use the wire leader, the extra weight of the leader added to the split shot and hook will make it much more difficult for the minnow to swim around and look as natural as possible, hope this helps.

PMEmail Poster
MCL83
Posted: Mar 04, 2019 - 12:39 pm

Fry

Member No.: 3209

Love the insight, fellas. Thank you.

@Longshank, stubborn asses is why I proposed the question.

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Mar 04, 2019 - 01:39 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3521

What was already said above. I make my own flourocarbon leaders and don't even use those with live bait in winter. I use a light braid type line and a 10lb flourocarbon tippet. Light jigs!

No wire. Unless I am jigging and really don't want to lose what I'm using. Even then it's light (10lb wire, hand tied).

Good luck converting the stubborn old schoolers

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Mar 04, 2019 - 03:13 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (MCL83 @ Mar 04, 2019 - 12:39 pm)
Love the insight, fellas. Thank you.

@Longshank, stubborn asses is why I proposed the question.

, glad you got a laugh out of all that. point is you don't set up for walleye up there and go heavy because a pike may hit

even if it does, if played properly, your chance of landing it increases.

I got a couple of buddies like that, stubborn and will not change. Use the cheap brass snaps for example when fishing for salmon,,which will and do open easily compared to a good crosslock. you just have to laugh

anyway, have a good trip, having fun is why we do it

PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace