Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Western Arm, Fishing reports?
Goshawk
Posted: Aug 24, 2018 - 03:20 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 11890

I'll be at the Memquisit Lodge next week (Friday) for a 3 day stay and was wondering if anyone has had any success with the bass and walleye in that area. I'm bringing my own boat so moving around the area won't be an issue. Not asking for specific spots (I never do) but looking for what structure is working best at this time of year and what types of baits. I'll have my entire arsenal in the boat with me!!

PM me with a response if you prefer. Thanks in advance.

PMEmail Poster
Chingachcook
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 09:15 am

Fry

Member No.: 12172

Frank and Charlene at "The Mem" run a first rate show. You will enjoy your stay.

Try the weed beds in North and South Muskrat Bay for largies and try the deeper weed beds that seem to materialize out of nowhere in the West Bay for both smallies and largies.
Soft plastics (senkos) and weedless frogs in the slop were working mid August.

The rock points and shoals in an around Jennings Bay will hold bigger smallies. 3.5 to 4 feet of water still seems to be fine for them despite increased surface water temps of 28 when we were there.

Franks cousin who doubles as a dock guy and guide can give you the latest intel....

This piece of water is chock full of shoals ... If your first time out... take it s-l-o-w and save your prop.

Best of luck !

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Aug 31, 2018 - 05:25 am

Lunker Trout

Really appreciate the info. I was there last year for 2 nights. I didn't get to do much fishing as it was almost a solid steady downpour the entire time. There were times when I could see across the bay so I went out for a bit until the downpour started again. I'm hoping the weather gods allow me to venture further than a mile from the lodge.
You're right, they do run a quality operation, and the meals are really good and you will never leave the dining room looking for snacks!! When I called them 2 weeks ago, Charlene remembered me and all the rain. She said that she'll do her best "no rain" dance for me. I'll be leaving for there in a couple of hours as soon as I check out of Brennan Harbour.
Again, thanks for the info.

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Sep 02, 2018 - 03:07 pm

Lunker Trout

The first two days were very short fishing periods, between dodging some severe weather with lots of lightning (one strike was 100 yards across the French from the resort) and high winds.
This morning, the fishing gods were smiling down on me for some reason. Woke up to a foggy morning and not a hint of breeze, so I had breakfast before venturing out. I decided to go directly to South Muskrat Bay and try my newest plug. Was it ever on fire! My little chugger, dressed with a hand-made rear treble with a long set of feathers, accounted for 12 of the 14 largemouth caught this morning, along with 4 pike and one very pizzed off 14" perch! Most of the bass were between 1 and 2 pounds, but on back to back casts I had twins.....both exactly 3.1lb. And my biggest for the session was a healthy girl who weighed 3.98lb. I even managed to scare up a 25-30" muskie that slapped at my chugger but left it along. The other fish were caught on a 5" jerk bait in chartreuse with a blue back.
This one morning made the trip here totally worthwhile, along with the food and service provided by Frank and Charlene. Just outstanding people.

I'd post a pic of my pig, but I still haven't figured out how to do that. The system keeps sending it back saying that I can't post a .JPG file. She's a beauty though!!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace