Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Legal tip ups
Quigles716
Posted: Nov 10, 2018 - 08:46 am

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 14796

Iím looking to try a new tip up, specifically the ht enterprise windlass tip up. It uses the wind and a spring to jig your lures. In the Ontario fishing regulations, it states that you may not use a tip up with a spring mechanism to set your hook. I was curious if anyone had tried these and know if the spring is just for the wind, or for wind and setting the hook. Iíd hate to get a ticket for a minor thing. If you guys could just let me know if itís fair game to use before I buy it, Thank you!

PMEmail Poster
NorthWaterAdventures
Posted: Nov 10, 2018 - 10:40 am

Fry

Member No.: 3627

I'm not 100% sure, but in my opinion the spring is simply a tensioner to help you make adjustments according to the wind speed on any given day. I don't think a CO would give you any issue.

I've used the same HT Windlass Tip Up, and to be honest I usually just set it up and lock it so that the wind doesn't move it. Maybe I'm not good at setting it up, but I had issues with wind gusts keeping it either straight up or pushing it straight down, in which case it can make you think you may have a fish when you don't.

On Nipissing, you won't need the jigging action to get you fish, simple live bait on a hook with a tip up has been the most productive for me over the years. I'll set that, and then jig with something else on the sonar.

Hope this helps! It works well for me when I just lock it though!

PMEmail Poster
Quigles716
Posted: Nov 10, 2018 - 10:59 am

Fry

All right. Thank you very much! And tbh. The most productive tip up Iíve ever used weíre the old fashioned tip ups at waltonian inn. It was three peices of wood and a nail. Iíve been debating on making a replica.

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Nov 10, 2018 - 12:23 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

I use the windlass tip up. As mentioned the spring is a tensioner not for settling the hook. I've done very well with it.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Woodsman
Posted: Nov 11, 2018 - 07:36 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 477

I'll also say the Windlass is completely legal in Ontario.

PMEmail Poster
trapperdirk
Posted: Nov 13, 2018 - 04:24 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4400

100 % legal in Ontario . I've had one and wore one out ever since they came out . Great entertainment on the back lakes where I fish speckles that have a no live bait fish restriction . First line the game warden checks when he drops by .LOL I can see it in his eyes thinking he's going to write a ticket . LOL Drives others crazy too thinking it's a bite . LMAO

TD

PM
ClamFishing123
Posted: Nov 14, 2018 - 08:30 am

Fry

Member No.: 12519

I've been using the iFish Pro for a few years now and it is hands down the most versatile set up for tip up fishing. Whether you're targeting big perch or walleye/muskie/northern's, it does the job. It also allows you to fight the fish with a rod and reel versus hand over hand and you can set a sensitivity depending on the size of fish/bait you have on your line.

PMEmail Poster
Limacharley
Posted: Nov 14, 2018 - 09:11 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 11791

I use the same set up in Chevy's picture except in threw the stand away, took a 4 foot piece of hockey stick, milled it so it would fit in the upper part, drilled a hole through to fasten it. Voila, you are now standing instead of kneeling on cold ice and snow.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Quigles716
Posted: Nov 14, 2018 - 09:36 am

Fry

I think Iím going to try the windlass. I was debating a dead stick type of tip up but if someoneís pole breaks, then I lose my tip up due to my extra pole being used elsewhere. I really enjoy the fact that it jigs my lure. Im just hoping the hole doesnít freeze. Any recommendations on hole covers? Cabelas seem to work well. I may try theirs.

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Nov 14, 2018 - 07:29 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

QUOTE (Limacharley @ Nov 14, 2018 - 09:11 am)
I use the same set up in Chevy's picture except in threw the stand away, took a 4 foot piece of hockey stick, milled it so it would fit in the upper part, drilled a hole through to fasten it. Voila, you are now standing instead of kneeling on cold ice and snow.

If you could send me a pic, I'd appreciate it.
Cheers

PMEmail Poster
John 59
Posted: Nov 17, 2018 - 05:22 pm

Fry

Member No.: 14992

The windlass tip-up is on sail at Sail this weekend for $19.99

PMEmail Poster
Antique Fisherman
Posted: Nov 17, 2018 - 11:08 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7133

I started using the JawJacker Hook Setter from Cabela's - available anywhere. Used it mainly for dead sticking for pike - seems to work well, not a 100% sure if the spring mechanism is legal but sold everywhere in Ontario

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
John 59
Posted: Nov 18, 2018 - 06:58 pm

Fry

Member No.: 14992

QUOTE (Antique Fisherman @ Nov 17, 2018 - 11:08 pm)
I started using the JawJacker Hook Setter from Cabela's - available anywhere. Used it mainly for dead sticking for pike - seems to work well, not a 100% sure if the spring mechanism is legal but sold everywhere in Ontario

It is legal as there is no spring, it is the rod that sets the hook after the release is tripped by a bite

PMEmail Poster
KennyT759
Posted: Nov 22, 2018 - 02:34 pm

Fry

Member No.: 15436

I think there was just an article posted about the Jaw Jacker and auto jiggers being totally legal. It was in Ontario Out of Doors or on their Forums I think. Have never tried it but would like to.

PMEmail Poster
KennyT759
Posted: Nov 22, 2018 - 02:35 pm

Fry

Member No.: 15436

Jaw Jacker is on sale for $39 at Cabelas if anyone interested.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace