Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Reclassification of Cormorants to permit hunting
Grumpa
Posted: Nov 20, 2018 - 10:04 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 4676

We've had several discussions in the past regarding the need to address the cormorant over population problem...and their detrimental effect on the Nipissing fishery.
It looks like the reclassification initiative, first started in 2016, is now finally being resurrected once again.

http://ero.ontario.ca/notice/013-4124

Here's the most recent past post from this board discussing the same issue.

https://www.lakesimcoeoutdoors.com/forums/i...de=#entry275705

This is good news for many fisheries throughout the province.

PM
Warlock
Posted: Nov 21, 2018 - 07:20 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 8012

I totally agree

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Nov 21, 2018 - 07:50 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

10 years too late...

PMEmail Poster
kokemachine
Posted: Nov 21, 2018 - 09:47 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4328

I wonder if the cormorants would be a popular target species for hunters. I understand that a lot of fish eating birds taste pretty fishy.

PMEmail Poster
Fishchaser67
Posted: Nov 21, 2018 - 12:35 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4782

Hopefully this time the problem will be resolved. ...

PMEmail Poster
KennyT759
Posted: Nov 22, 2018 - 02:08 pm

Fry

Member No.: 15436

I agree that it is too little, too late.

PMEmail Poster
KennyT759
Posted: Nov 22, 2018 - 02:09 pm

Fry

Member No.: 15436

Was on Quinte in Trenton last summer and saw more cormorants than we could ever shoot. Plus, they are in town. Unless they are going to oil eggs or somehow otherwise eliminate them (I am sure there is no appetite for poisoning them etc) I cannot see how we would touch this population.

PMEmail Poster
Warlock
Posted: Nov 22, 2018 - 03:36 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 8012

From what I'm reading the mnr is trying to implement changes to the regs so that you are allowed to let the cormorants spoil after being shot.I am figuring there will be ample sportsman engaging in this practice if the regs do get changed,I can think of a few myself.All in all,another step in the right direction even if you do have to retrieve and dispose of them.

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: Nov 22, 2018 - 04:51 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4676

Agreed Warlock.
With a bag limit of 50/day they're pretty much approaching this as a disorganized cull.
There will be some push back, as there always is, regarding the inhumane nature of reducing the population this way.
But it effectively takes the cost, expense and time required to limit the birds numbers (through means such as egg oiling and nesting disruption programs etc) out of the hands of the OMNRF and puts it squarely into the hands of hunters.
Virtually no cost in terms of dollars or manpower, to the OMNRF, to initiate some form of population reduction in this manner.
CO's likely won't be spending anytime monitoring or enforcing the regs surrounding the hunting of this species.
How effective this means of controlling the population will be...only time will tell. There's been varied results in the US where the same method has been tried.
But its a necessary step that needed to be untaken...particular for many of the small northern lakes that have been decimated by cormorant numbers.

PM
longfish
Posted: Nov 22, 2018 - 07:56 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10648

Who is going to hunt that skinny over feathered eating machine....they have no meat on them so prolly won't change a thing.

PMEmail PosterYahoo

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace