Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> New regulations 2019?
FatRap
Posted: Dec 03, 2018 - 10:21 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

QUOTE (Bayliner @ Dec 02, 2018 - 03:13 pm)
QUOTE (Chevy @ Dec 01, 2018 - 08:32 pm)
QUOTE (Longshank @ Dec 01, 2018 - 01:43 pm)
No fish tastes better than the one than the ones you catch yourself. never bought a store shelf fish and hopefully never will have to

X2

So, you've never tasted fish yet Kerry?

PMEmail Poster
canadadude
Posted: Dec 06, 2018 - 06:31 am

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3164

The increase in the slot size to over 18" was put in place to allow the Walleye at least 1 or 2 yrs to spawn before being harvested. Allowing the Walleye to reach spawning maturity and allowed to go through at least one spawn before harvesting is one of the ways the fisheries experts are managing the population. The indications of a very low population of large mature spawners means protecting the abundant year class to spawning maturity will help keep a sustained population for the future. I don't think the slot will change for awhile, at least until a good population of mature spawning fish is established

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Dec 06, 2018 - 10:53 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3521

QUOTE (canadadude @ Dec 06, 2018 - 06:31 am)
The increase in the slot size to over 18" was put in place to allow the Walleye at least 1 or 2 yrs to spawn before being harvested. Allowing the Walleye to reach spawning maturity and allowed to go through at least one spawn before harvesting is one of the ways the fisheries experts are managing the population. The indications of a very low population of large mature spawners means protecting the abundant year class to spawning maturity will help keep a sustained population for the future. I don't think the slot will change for awhile, at least until a good population of mature spawning fish is established

Yes and no. When they changed the slot it was to do the above, but it was also an effort to protect a series of bumper year classes that were in a position to get hammered under the old slot. Now that those fish are growing into the current one, there is always the possibility that they shift it again to continue to protect those fish. We shall see. It will also be interesting to see (now that we know these fish are present) if netting results show that these fish are in the lake, or if the mature spawners pull a disappearing act. If everyone keeps catching nothing but juvies and netting assessment still shows an insufficient breeding pop... it would be a good time to consider it an indication that something is up, IMHO.

PMEmail Poster
Beamer866
Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 01:04 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16417

Was told by Todd white; snofari adventures that lake nipissing was closed till the new year.. I want to come up and do some early ice perch. Was I lied too?

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 01:36 am

Smolt Trout

You weren't lied to. Jan 1st is opener. Even for perch.

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 04:26 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6034

Something seems a little fishy to me. 5 years ago we were catching tons of 16- 17 inchers. If these fish didn't end up in a net then that year class should have surely been above the slot by now. It seems we get a bunch of fish just under the slot every year and by the next year those fish are gone?

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 04:43 am

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (Chuck Enwinde @ Dec 07, 2018 - 04:26 am)
Something seems a little fishy to me. 5 years ago we were catching tons of 16- 17 inchers. If these fish didn't end up in a net then that year class should have surely been above the slot by now. It seems we get a bunch of fish just under the slot every year and by the next year those fish are gone?

Been like that for a while, it seems. Last year everyone was saying "Just wait 'til next year!". The fishing was off the wall, but it seemed you had to catch 100 'eyes to land an 18"er. Well, "next year" is just around the corner. Lets see what happens.

OMNRF has been preaching for quite some time about a "lack of a breeding population". And yet productivity is through the roof. Those fish come from somewhere

PMEmail Poster
glfpro
Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 10:54 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 3723

You have to get out and find the big ones. Im not saying they won't be in the areas that produce great numbers but smaller size. You will still run into big fish in those areas, but your chances of seeing those fish are greatly reduced because they're getting out competed by smaller more agressive fish that are growing at a very fast rate and feeing hard.
I have found that moving out to bigger basin areas where there is less competition for food is where you're going to start running into your bigger fish. Your numbers won't be as high, however when you do run into them, they will be bigger more rewarding fish.

PMEmail Poster
Cranman
Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 11:18 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 1788

QUOTE (glfpro @ Dec 07, 2018 - 10:54 am)
Something seems a little fishy to me.  5 years ago we were catching tons of 16- 17 inchers.  If these fish didn't end up in a net then that year class should have surely been above the slot by now.  It seems we get a bunch of fish just under the slot every year and by the next year those fish are gone?

You have to get out and find the big ones. Im not saying they won't be in the areas that produce great numbers but smaller size. You will still run into big fish in those areas, but your chances of seeing those fish are greatly reduced because they're getting out competed by smaller more agressive fish that are growing at a very fast rate and feeing hard.
I have found that moving out to bigger basin areas where there is less competition for food is where you're going to start running into your bigger fish. Your numbers won't be as high, however when you do run into them, they will be bigger more rewarding fish.

Bang on! Catching lots of 15 inchers signals time to move!

PMEmail Poster
glfpro
Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 12:04 pm

Adult Trout

QUOTE (Cranman @ Dec 07, 2018 - 11:18 am)
Something seems a little fishy to me. 5 years ago we were catching tons of 16- 17 inchers. If these fish didn't end up in a net then that year class should have surely been above the slot by now.  It seems we get a bunch of fish just under the slot every year and by the next year those fish are gone?

Hope to get out fishing with you this winter Cranman!

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 12:55 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

My thoughts exactly....

I realize that if you are mobile you can find some bigger eyes, but I am not and hang out in my ice bungalow. am happy to catch lots of toss backs, but by now there should be many more in that 19 inch range

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
glfpro
Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 01:48 pm

Adult Trout

QUOTE (Longshank @ Dec 07, 2018 - 12:55 pm)
Something seems a little fishy to me. 5 years ago we were catching tons of 16- 17 inchers. If these fish didn't end up in a net then that year class should have surely been above the slot by now.  It seems we get a bunch of fish just under the slot every year and by the next year those fish are gone?

My thoughts exactly....

I realize that if you are mobile you can find some bigger eyes, but I am not and hang out in my ice bungalow. am happy to catch lots of toss backs, but by now there should be many more in that 19 inch range

You have to be willing to make the decision. Do you want your hut in an area that is going to produce a high number of fish knowing that the size will be smaller and you will have to fight through the smaller fish to get the odd bigger walleye. Or do you put it on water that will be less productive in terms of numbers but higher potential for size.

Unfortunately you can't have both most of the time. After all, this is fishing not catching. The guys that catch the big fish time and time again, are the guys that put in the time and effort to make it happen.

Instead of putting your hut in the same spot every year, change it up.

The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 04:47 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4441

When it comes to fishing, I can do the same thing over and over again and get different results. So being crazy or not doesn't matter, It's my belief that being an avid fishermen automatically makes you bat crap crazy lol.

PMEmail Poster
Cranman
Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 05:42 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 1788

QUOTE (glfpro @ Dec 07, 2018 - 12:04 pm)
QUOTE (Cranman @ Dec 07, 2018 - 11:18 am)

Hope to get out fishing with you this winter Cranman!

Absolutely! Along with Nick....had him out last year for a pretty epic few hours

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 06:58 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (glfpro @ Dec 07, 2018 - 01:48 pm)
QUOTE (Longshank @ Dec 07, 2018 - 12:55 pm)

My thoughts exactly....

You have to be willing to make the decision. Do you want your hut in an area that is going to produce a high number of fish knowing that the size will be smaller and you will have to fight through the smaller fish to get the odd bigger walleye. Or do you put it on water that will be less productive in terms of numbers but higher potential for size.

Unfortunately you can't have both most of the time. After all, this is fishing not catching. The guys that catch the big fish time and time again, are the guys that put in the time and effort to make it happen.

Instead of putting your hut in the same spot every year, change it up.

The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

not my hut......guess you missed that.....bungalow with ssic as always for 4 days a year.

go to have fun and catch what I catch......all good

PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace