ยป Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 4 > »»   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Baitfish Species
Fossil Fish
Posted: May 17, 2018 - 09:25 am

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 4236

Fathead minnow (Pimophales promelas). Blunt nose, round in cross-section and small, upturned mouth. This is a male with nuptial tubercules.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fossil Fish
Posted: May 17, 2018 - 09:28 am

Adult Trout

Blacknose dace (Rhinichthys atratulus). Tiny scales. Very similar to longnose dace. Blacknose upper jaw extends slightly past lower jaw, longnose upper goes considerably past almost looking like a sucker mouth.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fossil Fish
Posted: May 17, 2018 - 09:29 am

Adult Trout

Northern redbelly dace (Chrosomus eos). Tiny scales. I've only ever caught females and they can be easily distinguished by the pairs of lateral stripes. Gotta get a more colourful male.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fossil Fish
Posted: May 17, 2018 - 09:31 am

Adult Trout

Golden shiner (Notemigonus chrysoleucas). Very flat side to side. Upturned mouth and light coloured fins and tail. Most similar to invasive rudd which have red/orange fins and tail.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fossil Fish
Posted: May 17, 2018 - 09:35 am

Adult Trout

Mimic shiner (Notropis volucellus). Very similar to emerald shiner. Mimic has 8 anal fin rays, emerald has 10.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fossil Fish
Posted: May 17, 2018 - 09:37 am

Adult Trout

Rosyface shiner (Notropis rubellus). Also very similar to emerald shiner when not in spawning mode (red faces and gill plates). Rosyface has a much more elongated and pointy snout compared to emerald.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fossil Fish
Posted: May 17, 2018 - 09:39 am

Adult Trout

Spotfin shiner (Cyprinella spiloptera). Somewhat similar to common shiners but has a distinct dark spot near the back of the dorsal fin.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fossil Fish
Posted: May 17, 2018 - 09:41 am

Adult Trout

Hornyhead chub (Nocomis biguttatus). Orange fins and tail and distinct spot at base of tail. Orange spot behind the eyes. This was caught in the fall and may be spawning colours. Similar to lake and river chubs.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fossil Fish
Posted: May 17, 2018 - 09:44 am

Adult Trout

Mottled sculpin (Cottus bairdii). Native species unlike very similar round goby. Sculpin pelvic fins are separated, gobies are fused like a suction cup. Gobies have a dark spot on the dorsal fin. Very similar to slimy sculpin which are also native. Mottled sculpin have 4 rays on the pelvic fins, slimy sculpin have 3. It took a lot of pics to get that clear enough to see.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fossil Fish
Posted: May 17, 2018 - 09:48 am

Adult Trout

Northern sunfish (Lepomis peltastes). Beautiful fish most similar to a pumpkinseed but has red eyes and fins and a longer ear flap that has more red around the edge than a pumkinseed. They don't get as big as pumpkinseeds and this one is near max. size. Formerly a subspecies of longear sunfish. True longears are not in Ontario. Their ear flaps go straight back while the northern sunfish flaps tilt upwards.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
mykola
Posted: May 17, 2018 - 01:17 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 13075

Ive caught huge fallfish in the crowe river. 14"-16" for sure. A friend of mine swears the fallfish are good eating, i used to catch them while visiting his house on the river below the rapids. Amazing fight with ultralight gear. They would hit almost anything.

I did get a mimic shiner, no darters yet. many chubs

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: May 18, 2018 - 09:31 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Very cool looking fish. I have caught some of those, now I know what they are called.

That sunfish is beautiful.

Thanks for sharing..

Great hobby, love the little viewing container..

PMEmail Poster
deerhunter
Posted: May 18, 2018 - 09:49 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10322

QUOTE (Fossil Fish @ May 17, 2018 - 09:48 am)
Northern sunfish. Beautiful fish most similar to a pumpkinseed but has red eyes and fins and a longer ear flap that has more red around the edge than a pumkinseed. They don't get as big as pumpkinseeds and this one is near max. size. Formerly a subspecies of longear sunfish. True longears are not in Ontario. Their ear flaps go straight back while the northern sunfish flaps tilt upwards.

When I was a child and my father would taking me fishing in the early morning and I would love to catch sunfish and pumpkinseeds. Being nostalgic here. A quiet cool morning, mist rising off a dark lazy river, and an out-of-place red & white bobber floating among the many silent water striders. I loved those days.

PMEmail Poster
steelheader
Posted: May 18, 2018 - 06:52 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 315

QUOTE (Fossil Fish @ May 17, 2018 - 09:48 am)
Northern sunfish. Beautiful fish most similar to a pumpkinseed but has red eyes and fins and a longer ear flap that has more red around the edge than a pumkinseed. They don't get as big as pumpkinseeds and this one is near max. size. Formerly a subspecies of longear sunfish. True longears are not in Ontario. Their ear flaps go straight back while the northern sunfish flaps tilt upwards.

One beautiful fish , but a taxidermists nightmare ... try to re-create those colors ..

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: May 21, 2018 - 04:29 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7713

Very interesting topic.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 4 > »»  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!