» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Spring Algonquin Trip Planning, Looking ahead to spring camping
Mike33
Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 08:13 am

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 19120

It’s that time of year where I’ve come to terms with the end of ice season (bittersweet) but looking ahead to the open water season and my annual spring trip to Algonquin Park. The plan this spring is to explore some new lakes and venture into less familiar parts of the park. I’ve started many trips from the 60 corridor heading south from there as well as launching from the Opeongo access point (east gate out of Whitney several times and once from Magnetawan Lake).

Not looking for anyone’s favourite lake, in fact, please do not disclose any smaller or lesser known lakes, just looking to share my excitement with others with paddling season right around the corner. Happy to bounce some ideas off others for a general region of the park to try. Will be beginning the process of route planning and pouring over maps the next few days. Here’s a brook trout caught from a few springs ago that always reminds me what a privilege it is to have a fishery like Algonquin for us to explore:

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
sparky302
Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 11:27 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4572

Brookie fever is starting for me also can't wait to get back in the canoe !!

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Mike33
Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 12:24 pm

Adult Trout

QUOTE (sparky302 @ Mar 30, 2023 - 11:27 am)
Brookie fever is starting for me also can't wait to get back in the canoe !!

Couldn’t agree more!

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 12:31 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

Something I would love to get into with the Kayak but don't know where to start.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Fishnhunt
Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 01:13 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15869

We are planning our spring trip as well. Looking to come into the park from the north and explore/fish some speckle lakes in that area.
Hoping to go May 5-9 but we need an earlier ice out . The park has set May 12 as the reservation starting date but it gets bumped up most years. Hope this year is earlier.
I always wanted to try going in from the north and come out somewhere on hwy 60 but maybe another year.
Good luck planning

PMEmail Poster
sparky302
Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 02:17 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4572

QUOTE (longfish @ Mar 30, 2023 - 12:31 pm)
Something I would love to get into with the Kayak but don't know where to start.

Arnie

You want the find the lakes close to the road ways that are stocked with brookies unless you have a ATV to access the lakes that are more remote

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Mike33
Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 02:28 pm

Adult Trout

QUOTE (Fishnhunt @ Mar 30, 2023 - 01:13 pm)
We are planning our spring trip as well. Looking to come into the park from the north and explore/fish some speckle lakes in that area.
Hoping to go May 5-9 but we need an earlier ice out . The park has set May 12 as the reservation starting date but it gets bumped up most years. Hope this year is earlier.
I always wanted to try going in from the north and come out somewhere on hwy 60 but maybe another year.
Good luck planning

Best of luck on your trip, we’ll be in about a week or so after you. Always interesting to see when the ice-out date will be year to year.

PMEmail Poster
speckyfishing
Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 05:35 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 13834

No ATVS ALLOEED IN THE INTERIOR..
JUST GOOD BOOTS NEEDED ...AND A LIGHT CANOE

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 06:21 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 8190

Yeah, no ATVs sparky, just a bunch of portaging

I’d suggest not going right at ice out and waiting about 2-3 weeks after….I know it’s hard to plan like that, because we never know ice out dates for sure, but If your planning can be flexible, I’ve found that the first days of open water can be pretty tough fishing.

I’ve got a 8’ x 10’ wall sized map of The park downstairs and I stuck a tack in each lake I’ve been to (like a weird serial killer of fish I guess?)
Bought a pack of 100 tacks, and ran out - and that was several years ago.

If you have any questions pm me if you like, but keep in mind there’s over 1500 lakes in Algonquin, so haven’t been to lots of them. Most hwy 60 stuff I know well, a bit of eastern and western stuff, not too much in the north.

Also can’t wait for specks from a canoe, and planning to go somewhere new this year. 👍🏼

PMEmail Poster
speckyfishing
Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 06:59 pm

Parr Trout

Yes its very hard to plan ...with the ice out date .
I grewup there .still fish but hard to plan it either ice or ministry say it's not safe so not allowed .years ago we would take ice auger now no way ...

PMEmail Poster
speckyfishing
Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 07:03 pm

Parr Trout

Little tease

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
speckyfishing
Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 07:04 pm

Parr Trout

Hard trip

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Mike33
Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 07:14 pm

Adult Trout

QUOTE (Drew @ Mar 30, 2023 - 06:21 pm)
Yeah, no ATVs sparky, just a bunch of portaging

I’d suggest not going right at ice out and waiting about 2-3 weeks after….I know it’s hard to plan like that, because we never know ice out dates for sure, but If your planning can be flexible, I’ve found that the first days of open water can be pretty tough fishing.

I’ve got a 8’ x 10’ wall sized map of The park downstairs and I stuck a tack in each lake I’ve been to (like a weird serial killer of fish I guess?)
Bought a pack of 100 tacks, and ran out - and that was several years ago.

If you have any questions pm me if you like, but keep in mind there’s over 1500 lakes in Algonquin, so haven’t been to lots of them. Most hwy 60 stuff I know well, a bit of eastern and western stuff, not too much in the north.

Also can’t wait for specks from a canoe, and planning to go somewhere new this year. 👍🏼

The wall map with your visited lakes as victims is a great idea Drew. I’m weighing a few route options, will send you a PM to get your input!

PMEmail Poster
Mike33
Posted: Mar 31, 2023 - 07:53 am

Adult Trout

QUOTE (speckyfishing @ Mar 30, 2023 - 07:03 pm)
Little tease

That’s a great haul- perfect size for eating!

PMEmail Poster
Nuclear
Posted: Mar 31, 2023 - 02:03 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 3419

Those are some nice Brookies you sure got some of us fishermen itching probably Curt roaming in his garage. LOL You ve must of put in your time to get into those square tails LOL .

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!