Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: «« < 2 3 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Baitfish Species
Dogfish1979
Posted: Jan 16, 2020 - 09:55 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 17166

Amazing library of specimens, never knew there where do many bait fish... Thanks for posting.

PMEmail Poster
Fossil Fish
Posted: Jan 24, 2020 - 02:40 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 4236

For anyone wondering how I catch these monsters, I don't use a net or a minnow trap - that's cheating. All these fish were caught on hook and line. The hooks I use for the smallest species are shown here, beside a #10 that most of you should be able to relate to. The J hook is a size 26. I may have some size 28 left too, but they're harder to find. The weird one is a tanago hook (named after a tiny Japanese fish) and has no number. It's made by Owner and is simply called Smallest and it comes snelled on 1 lb test line. I use either my regular UL rod, or an UL ice fishing rod for these beasts, and it's mostly a sight-fishing experience, dropping the hook straight down wherever you see a fish. Needless to say, it's not easy to do on breezy days, or in a river with any decent current, but it is what it is. If you happen to see some fool stooped over while wading in a creek carrying an ice fishing rod in the middle of summer, stop by and say hi.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: «« < 2 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!