Group: Members
Member No.: 17668

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Apr 07, 2021 - 10:33 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

And they want people to eat that, disgusting without a doubt. Then the sea floor is littered with fish turds that normally don't occur in suck high density. Again Gov't at work screwing thing up.

PM
Onlyinalundimpact
Posted: Apr 07, 2021 - 11:46 am

Fry

Member No.: 16325

Wow. What a sad read. If you have Netflix. Check out seaspiricy Very eye opening. Oceans are getting destroyed Our poor grandkids. Kids. Kids. Take care yíall. Heard new shut downs ahead. F u Doug!!! Tite lines.

PMEmail Poster
Winterfisher
Posted: Apr 07, 2021 - 08:00 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 16638

Nothing like abusing a resource until it's completely destroyed. Hate to sound like a tree hugger, but as long as there's a profit to be made, this will always be the path. Truly sad.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Apr 07, 2021 - 09:33 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

That industry has been bs ing the public for decades and bought plenty of politicians

very sad

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Flukes
Posted: Apr 07, 2021 - 09:37 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 15807

I know some salmon farmers out east and they don't eat their own raised salmon (Atlantics). The meat is a very disgusting grey colour until the last weeks before market/slaughter when they give them beta-carotene in their food to make their flesh "salmon" coloured (they decide how much based on the kind of colour they think people would like to see and eat). It's quite disgusting. I use to fish for pollock and cod under the salmon cages as well (pollock about 2-8 lbs are alot of fun on med-heavy rods with 8-10lb line - if you want something to hit your bait hard and want a tired arm after a a few fish...this is what you should do) - ate a few of them and that was it. They were disgusting soft flesh that had a strange taste to them. Pollock not caught under cages are great. Cod under cages were a little better but still... Cleaning both species caught under cages - the smell made me gag quite a few times (that also stopped me from keeping fish to eat when I caught them under cages but won't ever give up a pollock or cod caught "unfed"). I never eat farmed fish anymore (any species of fish, esp. after learning more about how farming is done).
It is all about greed (whenever you someone saying it's not economical, they mean, they aren't making the loads they want or think they are entitled to make). The salmon farmers I know agree, but they are not the owners/bosses - just hired hands. Fish farming has little to no benefit for the environment (and does not stop/reduce the harvest of wild fish; in fact, it increases the harvest of fish lower down on the food chain to feed their farmed fish, which can be as big or a bigger issue when we start to fish down the trophic level). Coincidently (?), there was another news bit on CBC about people trying to save herring out in BC to try to save salmon as well. I cant wait to see the day our fish farms are all stopped or at least, face some major changes to make sure they are not doing the longer term damages presently.

PMEmail Poster
Smilee
Posted: Apr 08, 2021 - 04:45 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 11276

Very very sad indeed!!!! I for one have never eaten farm raised salmon and NEVER INTEND TOO!!
Terrible thing that is happening to our wild strains of fish! Hope they pull the plug!!!

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: Apr 08, 2021 - 07:08 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 12665

Well said Flukes .
Itís a real shame what continues to happen with Fish farm industry for so many years . Hopefully people wake up one day to stop that .

PMEmail Poster
icecy
Posted: Apr 13, 2021 - 10:46 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4685

QUOTE (Winterfisher @ Apr 07, 2021 - 08:00 pm)
Nothing like abusing a resource until it's completely destroyed.  Hate to sound like a tree hugger, but as long as there's a profit to be made, this will always be the path. Truly sad.

There's nothing wrong with hugging a tree.... I am so disgusted with this blatant abuse of our natural resources so that profits can be made that i can go and hug a thousand trees right now!!... I hope the Minister, the first nations, environmentalists and all of US emerge victorious from this saga and save the wild salmon forever.....

PMEmail Poster
Chillywilly1975
Posted: Apr 14, 2021 - 03:39 am

Fry

Member No.: 17734

Well if we better protected our creeks and river systems and added proper pools for them to chill in they would be doing very well on their own but unfortunately allowing other Countries to build the 407 was far more important but hey if our Terrorist Government and our retarded Ministry would actually invest our tax dollars to stocking like they are supposed to ffs then we could actually fish for Walleye again and other species too This is what happens when we tolerate a Terrorist Government that steals and wastes our tax money

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Apr 14, 2021 - 11:46 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10908

QUOTE (Chillywilly1975 @ Apr 14, 2021 - 03:39 am)
Well if we better protected our creeks and river systems and added proper pools for them to chill in they would be doing very well on their own but unfortunately allowing other Countries to build the 407 was far more important but hey if our Terrorist Government and our retarded Ministry would actually invest our tax dollars to stocking like they are supposed to ffs then we could actually fish for Walleye again and other species too This is what happens when we tolerate a Terrorist Government that steals and wastes our tax money

That was a weird rant about the 407. 😂😂😂 off topic but the 407 was not built by other countries. The 407 was build by Canadians and a portion was sold. The 407 is owned by indirectly owned subsidiaries of Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (total 50.01%), Spainís Cintra Global S.E., a wholly owned subsidiary of Ferrovial S. A. (43.23%) and by SNC-Lavalin (6.76%).

I hate salmon farms and yes they make absolutely no sense. The fish is not healthy and neither is the practice of farming fish. Itís a counter productive industry as it takes 1.25lbs of ocean caught bait to make the food they feed farmed salmon to get back 1 lb of farmed salmon. We net loss .25lbs of ocean fish. Thatís just the net loss side. The pollution factor under the nets, lost nets, escapee fish damaging habitats they donít belong in, sea lice plagues etc are so many more reasons to stop ocean salmon farming.

PMEmail Poster
icecy
Posted: Apr 14, 2021 - 03:47 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4685

QUOTE (Chillywilly1975 @ Apr 14, 2021 - 03:39 am)
Well if we better protected our creeks and river systems and added proper pools for them to chill in they would be doing very well on their own    but unfortunately allowing other Countries to build the 407 was far more important    but hey if our Terrorist Government and our retarded Ministry would actually invest our tax dollars to stocking like they are supposed to ffs then we could actually fish for Walleye again and other species too    This is what happens when we tolerate a Terrorist Government that steals and wastes our tax money 

I thought the subject here wasn't the "terrorist gvmnt", 407 or walleye, but the bleak future of the salmon fishery. Can we stay on topic please.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Great Lakes
Fishing forum for the Great Lakes & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in the Great Lakes!