Members |  Forum Rules |  Search

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Fishing reel line counters
kev_7680
Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 08:27 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 16311

I just got 3 old/ new trolling reels from my father but they have no line counters. Is there a way I can add one or anyone know a trick to count it out like number of rotations of spool? Thanks Kevin G

PMEmail Poster
chazD
Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 08:32 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 11172

I'm pretty sure that Rapala and Berkely make one. Or you can always use them as lead core reels you'll know how many feet by the colors you put on them.

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 09:22 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

I have 2 level wind reels, one with a counter and one without.

On the one without, I measured how much line came off when the guide went from one side of the spool to the other. 12 feet.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
reelinginthebigone
Posted: Aug 31, 2022 - 04:04 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 18443

Yeah, they aren't the best, but they do work.

If you want to get into salmon fishing and find it's something you'll enjoy, then I recommend buying some great reels.

The baseline line-counting reel that most guys/charters use is the Okuma Cold Water 303D or 453D: https://www.amazon.ca/Okuma-Water-Linecount...6X4M?th=1&psc=1

The best line-counting reel, in my opinion, but a bit pricey, is the Tekota 600HG LC: https://fishingworld.ca/products/shimano-tekota-600hg-lc. It's hard to find these right now, but Gagnon in Whitby had a bunch last time I was there. Note that most people do not have Tekotas from what I've seen. They typically go for cheaper options. I'm a big fan of buy once, cry once.

I use Tekota 500s on my dipsy rods and put 300 yards of 50 lbs braid on them. I like full braid on my dipsy rods because it allows me to reset my dipsy easily. Plus, I use a snubber after my dipsy along with 10+ feet of mono that gives it a bit of stretch.

I use Tekota 600s on my downrigging rods and put 200 yards of 50 lbs braid on them, along with 200 yards of 25 lbs mono. I like the 200 yards of mono because it gives a bit of stretch to the line, which means the salmon won't pull the darn lure out of their mouths.

The Okumas are great and dependable. But once you use a Tekota, you won't want to use anything else. You can try mine when we meet later in the year.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Aug 31, 2022 - 01:09 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

yup, those are the standard now, but I still have some convectors and they were built well also

but for the price difference. i would go with the coldwater series.....

It really depends on how much use you will put them through each year

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
sabmgb
Posted: Aug 31, 2022 - 04:01 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15901

I bought this reel in mid June OKUMA Reels Convector Lowprofile and it has worked flawlessly since but that is 2 months now and I don't fish for salmon though.

PMEmail Poster
SAVAGEPERCHER
Posted: Sep 02, 2022 - 07:28 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 6136

I was given some abu ambassador 7000s that didn't have line counters so I put on some depth hunter by power pro. I use them with dipsey divers on Erie. It is a metered line with colors like leadcore. There is a color change every 25' and a white and black tick every 5'. Very easy to use. 2

PMEmail Poster
deepjigger
Posted: Sep 03, 2022 - 05:00 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 2904

I would also add leadcore line to those reels. Very easy to keep count on how many colours you have out and it would simplify things.

PMEmail Poster
nickfishy
Posted: Sep 03, 2022 - 05:58 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 11372

QUOTE (sdcaller @ Aug 30, 2022 - 09:22 pm)
I have 2 level wind reels, one with a counter and one without.

On the one without, I measured how much line came off when the guide went from one side of the spool to the other. 12 feet.

SDC

X2👍

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Great Lakes
Fishing forum for the Great Lakes & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in the Great Lakes!