Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Collingwood Report- Friday, May 22, 1 for 1
sdcaller
Posted: May 22, 2020 - 07:58 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

Was on the water and fishing by 7:30. Dan ( Grampa) brought his boat out as well and we stayed in touch with each other all day.

We headed East out of the harbour working our way towards the mouth of the Pretty river, running in and out in 20-40fow. Water clarity is very high and you can see the bottom in 40fow.
I tried flutter spoons and Rapala type lures, running 10-20ft down and the lure 150ft behind the ball. No action. With the water clarity what it is, I think you need to work those shallow depths at first light. By the time we were there, any fish had gone back deep.

Headed out to 100fow and didn't mark very much. Tried various lures and body baits, with the ball about half way to bottom and the lure 60-80ft behind he ball. Number of boats in the 100ft area, but didn't see anyone get fish. Ran back shallow to an area of reefs and tried fishing the troughs between the reefs, using flutter spoons and body baits. This was my theory for browns, based on a recent magazine article in Great lakes Angler Magazine. Didn't produce anything and I think it is due to the very clear water .

Picked up and ran back out to 100fow. Put my thinking cap on and thought, OK, I'm not marking much and neither was Dan, so if there are fish around they are high in the water column. Back to a flutter spoon, sliver/green, ball down 10ft and lure 150ft back of ball. No action, but did start to mark a large concentration of bait that went from 10fow to 100fow. No big fish marks around however.

I've had a lot of success on Simcoe and GB with Luhr Jensen Shoehorn spoons. I have quite few of them in various colours and sizes. Off came the flutter spoon and on went a plain silver/pebble finish Shoehorn. This time down 20ft and lure 150ft back of the ball. It wasn't in the water 60 seconds and bang, 2.5lb Rainbow. I worked that 100-115fow area of bait with the shoehorn for another 90 minutes, but that was it. Quit at 1:30.

Beautiful day to be out, sunny, no wind and lake like glass.

Oh yes, Dan got skunked!

If you go to Collingwood, they are only allowing 2 boats at a time at the ramp instead of the usual 4. Also no Porta Potties. There is a sign on the access road for you to wait at and be waved into the ramp area. Parking area is barricaded off except for the ramp entrance and an exit at the other end of the parking area. If you get there early you miss the "ramp control attendant." You can still park as in the past, but flow into the area is controlled to ensure social distancing.

Here is a pic. of the fish and the spoon.

SDC

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: May 22, 2020 - 08:37 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

Wow that's chrome.

PM
jaywinfield91
Posted: May 23, 2020 - 04:13 am

Fry

Member No.: 11270

Thanks for the report ! Was out only for 2 hours and never markers a thing. Heading back out right now I'll be in a green xte legend with a 60 hp Merc say hi if ya see me out there

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: May 23, 2020 - 05:31 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Well done Ralph, beauty chromer

Epic report, great read.. This is what fishing is about, finding the pattern..

Experiment and try different, depths, locations and lures and you will be rewarded.

Glad you made it out and had a great day..

PMEmail Poster
mydogbites
Posted: May 23, 2020 - 05:46 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 414

Well done. Nice looking fish.

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: May 23, 2020 - 08:54 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

I should have given Grandpa Jim some credit for my success.

As some of you know, I keep a small 3 ring binder in the boat with my yearly fish logs, showing what I caught when, lure, depth and weather conditions etc. In addition there are articles in there from the internet and magazines--any info. that I feel can help me catch fish.

One of the items in there was a hard copy of a PM I got from Jim in May of 2014.

He was suggesting to troll silver spoons down 10-20ft in deep water and very long leads.

As you know, it worked.

Thanks Jim

Ralph

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: May 24, 2020 - 11:18 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

Happy to see you got out and got dinner

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
jam1324
Posted: May 24, 2020 - 12:54 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 16371

Thanks for the report SD! We went out Saturday morning and didn't catch anything but a great time and some sunburn! Weather was amazing, my son was very excited to get back out on the water, just felt good to be out there. Marina finally has my motor fixed and I can pick it up this week, so I can give my buddy back his loaner motor I thankfully was allowed to borrow.

Jamie

PMEmail Poster
Kyfish
Posted: May 25, 2020 - 11:23 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 17115

Managed to get a few on the weekend. Couple of small salmon and a big laker. She managed to get the boat real dirty, mustíve spit up 10 baitfish when she was landed. Kept one rod deep and one flatlining and both caught fish

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!