Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Pike in shallow bays, when do they show up?
isthereice
Posted: Feb 12, 2020 - 10:11 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10280

I'm thinking of chasing pike soon when they come into Lake Ontario's shallow bays to spawn. I haven't done it before so am wondering: when do they appear? Is it late February or do they come in mid March....or does it vary year to year?

PMEmail Poster
tnm19.12
Posted: Feb 12, 2020 - 11:02 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 8508

They usually start in January coming in, atleast in the lake o bays I fish, if you're in GTA you want to target them before the alewife come into spawn , last year was real heavy with them and the day they came in numbers marked the end of my spring pike season, every single cast regardless of what j was using or where on the bay I would atleast foul hook one alewife, when there's millions of baitfish your chances are literally one in a million, colder water slower/smaller presentation the day that water heats up 5 degrees the fish will know and eat accordingly, they wait for that day all winter lol

PMEmail Poster
rayray89
Posted: Feb 12, 2020 - 11:02 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 6253

I think we've talked in the past about the spot I think your going too

Rippin Raps work well all the time for pike

PMEmail Poster
tnm19.12
Posted: Feb 12, 2020 - 11:06 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 8508

Well , sorry for that horrific attempt at reasonable punctuation,my phone threw in periods where unnecessary and got rid of commas where they were necessary lmao

PMEmail Poster
isthereice
Posted: Feb 13, 2020 - 10:53 am

Smolt Trout

Thanks for the info guys. I bought a uv green tiger husky jerk for the occasion and I do have some rippin raps. I was also thinking of white tube jigs to slowly drag on the bottom and hop up and down, maybe even a senko dragged slowly as I catch pike on them while looking for bass in summer. I've seem some videos of swammer swimbaits working well too. It should be fun.

PMEmail Poster
Tommy_Niagara
Posted: Feb 13, 2020 - 07:53 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 14878

Go when you can as long as season is open.

PMEmail Poster
ilyukha
Posted: Feb 17, 2020 - 05:48 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 12665

They are already there, but very moody (biting window is short, need slow retrieve close to the bottom, average and smaller size swimbaits work best)

I have been fishing for them since late January, mostly 30-34" fish for me but some big ones are there as well, just have not caught them yet.

PM me if any questions.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
isthereice
Posted: Feb 18, 2020 - 12:30 pm

Smolt Trout

thanks again for the info. I hope to get out soon, will post any success.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Great Lakes
Fishing forum for the Great Lakes & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in the Great Lakes!