Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Flasher vs Old School, Flashers
Chet Ripley
Posted: Feb 01, 2019 - 05:48 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16670

Interested to here what everyone thinks about flashers.

I used a Humminbird Ice 35 flasher for the first time this week, it was interesting to see how the fish react to your bait, it was great to see where in the water column the fish were suspending, it felt a little like i was playing a fishing video game. Strangely my results were pretty close to a standard outing without the flasher.

Wondering what kind of success those that have fished both with and without flasher on Nipissing and if it drastically improved production.
I am considering purchasing the Ice 35 that is on sale at CT this week.

Cheers
Chet

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Feb 01, 2019 - 07:53 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 118

I would say your catch rate will go up by 100% once you really learn how to use electronics

suspended fish, following fish, you would never know without a unit....flasher or sonar

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Northhunter
Posted: Feb 01, 2019 - 08:21 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3521

Our outing last year it didn't make a difference. If you had what they wanted they would swoop in and eat it and that was that. But jigging without one is like fishing naked... you'll still catch fish but it feels awkward and uncomfortable lol

PMEmail Poster
Timbo66
Posted: Feb 02, 2019 - 06:56 am

Alevin

Member No.: 13233

Hi Chet, I bought the ice 35 and used it at Nipissing this year as well. Did I catch more than the non-users? No, but I was still learning and I believe it will help me in the future for sure. By the way I bought mine at Bass Pro for $380 which is $24 cheaper than what Canadian Tire has them for. Good Luck!

PMEmail Poster
Fishchaser67
Posted: Feb 02, 2019 - 09:02 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4782

Its like night and day to me it makes a big différence when you have the uper hand .. ...won't leave home without it .

PMEmail Poster
Quigles716
Posted: Feb 02, 2019 - 09:11 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 14796

I’ve been going on yearly trips to nip for 6 years now, used an ice 35 the past two trips. I really learned how to dial it in. My catch rate went about 3 walleye to about ten a day. Once you learn how to use it. It’s great. The only downside to the ice 35 is depth range.

My buddies and I went to simcoe two weeks ago, it was 105 feet of water. My humminbird ice 35 didn’t stand a chance past 75 ft while my buddies marcum m1 saw not only his lure at 105, but the other three guys as well. Sure enough. He was the only one to catch a fish.

I would consider spending a little more if you ever plan on venturing off of nip. Vexlar is another good brand to look into. Even the ice 45 is a good option for a little more accuracy.

My 35 works great on nip. Love watching the action of the fish chasing the lure. I even caught an 18 incher once 5 feet below the ice. I would have never done that without the flasher. It is a great tool and I suggest getting one.

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Feb 02, 2019 - 09:53 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3521

I forgot to add this earlier probably because I take it for granted now, but where I find it irreplaceable is fishing with just enough weight to get the minnow down. Trying to "feel" bottom with a setup like that can be a real pain in the @$$. Simple as pie when you can see where it is!

PMEmail Poster
NorthWaterAdventures
Posted: Feb 02, 2019 - 10:28 am

Fry

Member No.: 3627

Welcome to fishing in the new age! Like the others said, you can't go back now, you're gunna be hooked!

A few things:

From my experience, when the fish are active, it doesn't matter if you have a flasher/sonar or not. I've caught more walleye with a minnow on a tip up on Nipissing than jigging under my sonar BY FAR!

However, where a flasher/sonar really shines is when the fish are inactive/picky. When they come in hugging the bottom and barely show interest in your bait, you can try different presentations, and different lures until you figure out what is going to work that day.

I URGE you to look into sonars over flashers. Flashers are the oldest technology in this area of fishing, these days they can be pretty accurate, but the advantage of having a sonar is huge in my opinion. The scrolling screen gives you a "history" which over time you will be able to use to your advantage. You'll learn to see fish on screen the SECOND they appear. You'll also learn how to tell how aggressive or lethargic a fish is by the speed at which they close in on your lure (much easier to see and master on a sonar than flasher), and can adjust your technique based on this information. And the kicker is that most sonars these days have a flasher screen option, so if you like that specific look you can get it on a sonar too!

Other advantages of having tech out on the ice include knowing EXACTLY how deep you are, and if its a sonar/chart plotter you can have the depth contours on the same machine.

If you're just getting into it and want to do it as cheaply as possible, I would suggest getting a relatively inexpensive sonar, and if you have a smartphone you can download the Navionics app for a fraction of the price of getting the chart plotter option and a Navionics card on your sonar unit. (Navionics cards are $150 new and adding the gps/chartplotter option on a unit ups the price significantly, the app is like $30 on the phone...)

There's lots more to learn, like switching between cone angles for different depths, changing ping speed for better object recognition, recognizing cone angle dead zones (google zone angle dead zone images for a quick explanation), adjusting sensitivity, and much more. But that comes with time and a little bit of research.

Anyway, good luck with your search!

PMEmail Poster
Chet Ripley
Posted: Feb 02, 2019 - 06:36 pm

Egg

Member No.: 16670

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it sure is nice to have the insight of those using different set ups.
Looks like I will be spending some money before my trip(10 more sleeps), North
water I like your idea as i am also in the market for a sonar setup for my houseboat and wondering if i can use a portable unit for the ice season, and then use the same set up with a different transducer for the open water season.
Maybe i should be looking for the full package. Time to do some more research as my time is running out.

Thanks again guys
Cheers
Chet

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Feb 02, 2019 - 11:29 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

It will be money well spent. I hope you enjoy your flasher. It will change fishing for you. There will be no turning back once you own one
Cheers, Kerry

PMEmail Poster
porkpie
Posted: Feb 03, 2019 - 08:26 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4287

I used a flasher for years, and then switched to a sonar with an ice transducer. I far prefer a standard sonar with gps in a portable pack over the flasher. I can use multiple screens and have a sonar history if I look away from the screen, never mind the convenience of a mapping system at my fingertips. If I was looking to do it from scratch I would absolutely look at one of the portable ice packs and then buy a boat transducer and use the unit on the boat as well as on the ice. I’m using a Humminbird Helix 5 in the winter, and I have a second transducer rigged with a suction cup mount for my sportspal square stern canoe for smaller lakes in the summer. It’s a great setup. And to answer your question, advanced sonar and mapping has changed the way i fish and made a tremendous difference in success rates. I’d argue that anyone who tells you differently hasn’t really spent the time to learn their equipment and make the best use of it.

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Feb 04, 2019 - 10:36 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

QUOTE (Fishchaser67 @ Feb 02, 2019 - 11:02 am)
Its like night and day to me it makes a big différence when you have the uper hand .. ...won't leave home without it .

X2.....what he said

PMEmail Poster
Fishchaser67
Posted: Feb 04, 2019 - 11:27 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4782

QUOTE (FatRap @ Feb 04, 2019 - 10:36 am)
QUOTE (Fishchaser67 @ Feb 02, 2019 - 11:02 am)
Its like night and day to me it makes a big différence when you have the uper hand ..  ...won't leave home without it .

X2.....what he said

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace