» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Walleye shutdown
Longshank
Posted: Feb 11, 2019 - 11:14 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 118

I have a question for you all.

After catching and releasing a walleye or perch for example, how long will that fish be in a negative bite mode or line shy if you know what I mean

Have my own thoughts, but interested to see other opinions

thanks

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
green frog
Posted: Feb 11, 2019 - 02:35 pm

Unregistered

I fish in Restoule, can't answer on the walleye as I don't know if Iv'e caught the same fish twice. Fishing last year I pulled a muskie to the hole and he broke me off, went in and had some groceries, came back and caught the same muskie 48" and retrieved my rapala. This was not the first time I got the same fish with my tackle still in their mouth. I figure if conditions are right and their hungry their coming back.

Fishin fan
Posted: Feb 11, 2019 - 03:29 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 6321

Not long apparently. Yesterday Mack fisher had a trout break off. 2 hrs later, he pulls one in. It has his hook and lime green line in its mouth from the break off. And they were not aggressive yesterday at all.

Dave

PMEmail Poster
WTFish
Posted: Feb 11, 2019 - 04:13 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 14462

I caught the same pike once maybe 5 minutes after releasing it. It was sitting under a shore undercut where I could see it. Caught it on a spinner, released and it came back to the same spot and caught it again

PMEmail Poster
Team Rapo
Posted: Feb 11, 2019 - 08:43 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 5705

These story’s reallly make me laugh at the thread about fish getting wise to the meegs on Simcoe lol. The things we wonder when they wont bite! Compared to the story’s on non stop feeding.

PM
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 - 01:07 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 6034

We call them repeat offenders or ABC`s (already been caughts). Happens pretty regularly fishing tribs for steelhead and browns. With walleye, I`ve lost them at the hole only to have them hit it again on the drop. I`d say if the fish is handled- it will be negative for a couple of hours - possibly longer. If it was lost before handling - it could still be fired up.

PMEmail Poster
Backroadsfishing
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 - 07:47 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 14767

Yesterday, I released a walleye then re-baited with a minnow head dropped it back down the hole and caught another walleye as soon as it reached the bottom.

A few years back one 20+ inch walleye broke the line in the ice shack and immediately move to one of the lines out side. We were able to bring it back up and get back our lure.

PMEmail Poster
kokemachine
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 - 08:43 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4328

I'm pretty sure I've caught the same perch twice within 20 minutes. Pike always seem to be the ones that will hit over and over again.

PMEmail Poster
oogie8
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 - 01:55 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8485

It’s hard for me to comment on the walleye, I have lost fish at the hole, then drop back down and got another one, whether it was the same fish or not I’ll never know, Definitely agree with Chuck, I’ve had it happen numerous times With steelhead and browns, Muskies through the ice as well and bass don’t seem to mind either

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 - 03:12 pm

World Record Trout

so, this has been my experience as well as all the replies so far....with walleye, I could only say at most, they may not bite for say 24 hours at the most

no science here, just observation

pike.....just a vicious predator

this past summer did a lot of sight fishing for bass, caught and released....some of these were shy for a 1/2 day at most

interesting replies..txs folks

Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Feb 13, 2019 - 02:32 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 6034

Brookies have a reputation of being easily spooked. This one hit a buddies line and he fought it for a minute before it broke his line. A few minutes later the flag on my tip up popped up. When I went to unhook it, I saw my buddies hook stuck in the roof of it's mouth.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
atventure
Posted: Feb 13, 2019 - 08:35 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 13515

QUOTE (Chuck Enwinde @ Feb 13, 2019 - 02:32 am)
Brookies have a reputation of being easily spooked. This one hit a buddies line and he fought it for a minute before it broke his line. A few minutes later the flag on my tip up popped up. When I went to unhook it, I saw my buddies hook stuck in the roof of it's mouth.

Beauty!

PMEmail Poster
phatfifty
Posted: Feb 15, 2019 - 11:34 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12760

Depends how much they had to drink?Just kidding.They have small brains so i would say they have short memories.A day or two.But they could swim for days and not come into contact with another anglers fishing line.Hard to say.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Feb 15, 2019 - 03:09 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Chuck Enwinde @ Feb 13, 2019 - 02:32 am)

Chuck......that is stunning

SteveG
Posted: Feb 15, 2019 - 10:28 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 2507

What I have had happen a few times over the years while ice fishing...….not attending the ice rod....BANG ! its gone down the hole....hours or a day later, I got a bite on my second Rod...….I bring up a Pike with a line in its mouth.... and Rod is still attached…..Beauty !

So, especially Pike, being predators, if they are hungry, they bite....! I also hear that Pike only feed every 4 x days in the winter !!!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace