Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> 7/15/2018 Report
Sterling
Posted: Jul 15, 2018 - 09:14 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9678

Made it out today with my dad and uncle. Lines were in from 4 to 7. With the recent heat I knew fish would be hunkered down deep. Trolled 2.1 to 2.5mph on graph. All fish caught in 33 to 37 FoW.

1 huge sheepshead
1 small pike
1 huge bass
1 perch
15+ walleye, 1 keeper @ 19in

Ministry crew was out doing creel surveys. Interestingly they asked to age our fish. First time I've heard of them doing that. A cool initiative either way. They said the fishing was REALLY tough. I think people are out there insisting on fishing too shallow?

Great time out there but man the heat is unbearable!

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Jul 16, 2018 - 08:17 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4441

I'd say you had a good night ps how do you like the sheepy's taste wise?

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Jul 16, 2018 - 08:29 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Great report and nice fish..

Sounds like a fun time.

Thanks for sharing.

PMEmail Poster
Sterling
Posted: Jul 16, 2018 - 10:09 am

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (ldub @ Jul 16, 2018 - 08:17 am)
I'd say you had a good night ps how do you like the sheepy's taste wise?

No idea. Cleaned yesterday and diced up into smaller pieces. Apparently that makes em easier to cook. Took the time to trim off any dark and red meat. It went belly up immediately so we decided to keep it rather than feeding the gulls. I'll let you know though.

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Jul 16, 2018 - 11:08 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3521

It was on/off for us. We would be in the middle of a bite and it would just stop. Sat night we got skunked. Same spot Sunday morn and they were back on. 1 keeper.
We fish above the thermocline all summer. Never have trouble catching 'eyes.

I would like to add that the drum/sheepshead are always huge. Their purpose is to make you think you have hooked into a monster walleye. I have never heard of anyone catching a small one
I caught one last weekend. It peeled line to the point I had to turn the boat and chase it (light action rod)

PMEmail Poster
Sterling
Posted: Jul 17, 2018 - 07:00 am

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (Northhunter @ Jul 16, 2018 - 11:08 pm)
It was on/off for us. We would be in the middle of a bite and it would just stop. Sat night we got skunked. Same spot Sunday morn and they were back on. 1 keeper.
We fish above the thermocline all summer. Never have trouble catching 'eyes.

I would like to add that the drum/sheepshead are always huge. Their purpose is to make you think you have hooked into a monster walleye. I have never heard of anyone catching a small one
I caught one last weekend. It peeled line to the point I had to turn the boat and chase it (light action rod)

Now that is interesting. I took all of my fish at or near bottom. Didn't even bother checking for the thermocline since 90% of big arches were sitting right on bottom. The other 10% were at the 15-20ft mark, is this where you were fishing?

The sheepshead came right before the perch... that's when we knew to bump our speed up a bit.

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Jul 17, 2018 - 08:07 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3521

We generally fish off bottom too, just never deep. Our fish came from maybe 8-12'? I only mentioned the thermocline because we are always above it.

I don't run a finder anymore.

PMEmail Poster
Sterling
Posted: Jul 17, 2018 - 08:50 am

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (Northhunter @ Jul 17, 2018 - 08:07 am)
We generally fish off bottom too, just never deep. Our fish came from maybe 8-12'? I only mentioned the thermocline because we are always above it.

I don't run a finder anymore.

Might want to look deeper! All the other boats in the area were fishing reefs near buoys and if the MNR's input was any reflection of how they were doing... the fish were being marked but not caught!

Are you checking the thermocline with a probe? That's how I do it.

PMEmail Poster
kokemachine
Posted: Jul 17, 2018 - 09:33 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4328

Great report! I love catching those sheep's heads.
Strong fish!

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: Jul 17, 2018 - 12:41 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4676

You can have all my sheepshead koke...come get them anytime you want.

The disappointment upon seeing that silvery 'tuna' at the end of one of our lines is nothing short of gut wrenching.
The biggest ones you know immediately...the slightly smaller ones give you a few fleeting seconds of optimism and encouragement...maybe, just maybe, there's a potential trophy walleye on the other end...only to crush that momentary euphoria and forever dash any of those hopes and dreams....like the rejection from a hot girl at the school dance.
I've tried to shake them off in the water any number of ways rather then bring their grunting, misshapen carcasses in the boat.
Their rubbery lips just cling to your hook like a street vendor to a five dollar bill.
They suck up worms like an aquatic vacuum. Their beady bulging eyes look at you like pathetic veal calves about to be slaughtered.
You know they're laughing at you...you can almost hear it....as you hurl them back in the water in abhorrent disgust.
When they're anywhere in the vincinity of your baited presentation...they're as hard to get rid of as a Jehovah's Witness at your front door.
They're a genetic aberration of nature, who's only function appears to be to deflate and demoralize hopefully fishermen....and give them yet another reason to quit the sport...pitch their prized rod into a watery grave....and return home only to weep into their pillows like six year old school girls.

They're the demons spawn!

Yup....you're welcome to all my fresh water drum...koke...no questions asked.

PM
FatRap
Posted: Jul 17, 2018 - 02:14 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

Well written again Grumpa........love your comparisons

PMEmail Poster
FishingChef
Posted: Jul 17, 2018 - 03:14 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 15394

Great catches guys and thank you for sharing

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 12:31 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 6034

QUOTE (Grumpa @ Jul 17, 2018 - 01:41 pm)

The disappointment upon seeing that silvery 'tuna' at the end of one of our lines is nothing short of gut wrenching.
The biggest ones you know immediately...the slightly smaller ones give you a few fleeting seconds of optimism and encouragement...maybe, just maybe, there's a potential trophy walleye on the other end...only to crush that momentary euphoria and forever dash any of those hopes and dreams....like the rejection from a hot girl at the school dance.
I've tried to shake them off in the water any number of ways rather then bring their grunting, misshapen carcasses in the boat.
Their rubbery lips just cling to your hook like a street vendor to a five dollar bill.
They suck up worms like an aquatic vacuum. Their beady bulging eyes look at you like pathetic veal calves about to be slaughtered.
You know they're laughing at you...you can almost hear it....as you hurl them back in the water in abhorrent disgust.
When they're anywhere in the vincinity of your baited presentation...they're as hard to get rid of as a Jehovah's Witness at your front door.
They're a genetic aberration of nature, who's only function appears to be to deflate and demoralize hopefully fishermen....and give them yet another reason to quit the sport...pitch their prized rod into a watery grave....and return home only to weep into their pillows like six year old school girls.

Not a huge fan of water goats eh? After releasing one, I told a buddy that they're the only fish known to have eye lashes and sometimes they wink at you. He bought it and asked "is that why they look so f'n weird?"

PMEmail Poster
Fochy
Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 02:41 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 13370

QUOTE (Grumpa @ Jul 17, 2018 - 10:41 am)

I for one completely understand where you are coming from can not describe it any better for every 1 walleye I got this weekend it came with 17 sheep drove me nuts.

PMEmail Poster
Muskyhunter
Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 04:48 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 13060

Sterling - Do us a favor and let us know how the sheepshead taste? I catch them fairly often and was told they taste fishy so I have never kept them.

They can be a real pain to get off your hook and they wreck a lot of lines because they seem to swallow them. They do add a bit of interest to a trip and are very entertaining fish when you get a new fisher person in the boat.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace