Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> a couple pics, some out of the box!
westarm
Posted: Jul 27, 2018 - 09:14 am

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8318

well, fishing has been pretty good in my opinion, lots of bass, walleye and a thousand pike. now I just wish the rain would get these fires under control, thinking about all those who have lost property, vacation time and hair through all this. stay strong.
start out with a gator of course, not huge but a 30" er.

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jul 27, 2018 - 09:16 am

Lunker Trout

what if I throw in a blue colored walleye morph! lol

yeah yeah, don't lay him on wood. he flopped out the net so get over it, sometimes tricky when your on your own.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jul 27, 2018 - 09:21 am

Lunker Trout

how about this guy! fishing for dinosaurs off the dock at 2am with many beers and a good friend is tough to beat, had we had a campfire this would have likely never happened. hard to tell in the pic but had a big wide back, a real gem! no weight and no measurement but he was very long, kept out of the water for a short time and back he went.

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jul 27, 2018 - 09:24 am

Lunker Trout

here are 2 24"pike. hard to tell in the picture but they were scrumptious. some may be missing due to impatient folks. cheers everyone, stay safe and good luck!

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: Jul 27, 2018 - 12:22 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4676

Well done westarm. Variety is the spice of life.
Nice gar....love casting for them when it's calm and they're schooling and feeding all around the boat. I've seen some huge gars while muskie fishing the W.A.
Great photos. Keep them coming.

PM
Paddy
Posted: Jul 27, 2018 - 01:09 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4885

haha. good post. great pics. don't worry about those gar. they can go a while...
gars surface periodically to take a gulp of air

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Jul 27, 2018 - 06:55 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4441

Great report, what's your secret pike batter it looks tasty?

PMEmail Poster
Mr Meat
Posted: Jul 27, 2018 - 07:47 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 15336

Great looking fish

PMEmail Poster
Sterling
Posted: Jul 27, 2018 - 07:54 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9678

Someone needs to show me where to get Gar! That's a big one!

PS about the blue walleye, they are extinct, that's just a blue colored walleye, rarely you'll find blue perch as well.

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: Jul 27, 2018 - 10:49 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7713

Nice looking fish.

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jul 27, 2018 - 10:53 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (Sterling @ Jul 27, 2018 - 08:54 pm)

PS about the blue walleye, they are extinct, that's just a blue colored walleye, rarely you'll find blue perch as well.

hi sterling, as grumpa mentioned you will see them during the day sunning themselves from time to time in the west arm, I have also seen them more than once in west bay. we have caught 3 off our dock, but here's the catch, 2 were very late at night 2-3 am, the third was almost dawn, I can only assume from this info that they are nocturnal feeders, had them take a little nip at a spinnerbait before but good luck hooking that mouth. all 3 were caught on minnows and more than likely we have yanked the hook away from more than a couple on hookset through the years. the 3 that were landed ALL swallowed the minnow. I actually watched a 3 inch gar in lavigne swim around the shallows with a half inch sunfish in his beak for an hour just taking a little better grip every once in a while, seems to me they feed like a snake. hope the info helps.

and naturally I have to ask, whats the difference between a blue colored walleye and a blue walleye, I will give you a little background here, there was no slimy blue on him, you couldn't wipe blue off as I have read on some of the "FAKES" for lack of terms, he was the same texture as any other walleye and the blue was predominately down the top of his back, I sent a picture to my cousin who forwarded it to his mnr buddy, he suggested "it looks like it could be a blue" just curious what gives it away to you that its not a "real" blue. is there something you see that we missed? extinction when it comes to fish can be a tough call. cheers!

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jul 27, 2018 - 11:02 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (ldub @ Jul 27, 2018 - 07:55 pm)
Great report, what's your secret pike batter it looks tasty?

its delicious and simple

1 cup of flour
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
half teaspoon salt
mix all this stuff up and slowly add
1 beer until pancake consistency

PMEmail Poster
Collingwood Dean
Posted: Jul 28, 2018 - 07:15 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 9535

Well done!....cool pictures!

PMEmail Poster
kokemachine
Posted: Jul 28, 2018 - 08:14 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4328

Sweet work, Westarm! Nice bunch of fish. I have yet to spot or catch gar in Nipissing. I must be hanging around the wrong places.

Thanks for the post!

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jul 28, 2018 - 09:22 am

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (Sterling @ Jul 27, 2018 - 08:54 pm)

sterling, did a little research and discovered you are correct, my fish was a blue colored walleye morph.
I had the info backwards, it is the blue walleye or blue pike if you will that IS the slimy one, furthermore blue pike do not have white tipped anal and dorsal fins and the eyes are larger on a blue pike {walleye}

cheers to your good eye, I will now edit my post on the picture.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace