Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> a couple pics, some out of the box!
Grumpa
Posted: Jul 28, 2018 - 09:30 am

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 4676

QUOTE (westarm @ Jul 27, 2018 - 10:53 pm)
QUOTE (Sterling @ Jul 27, 2018 - 08:54 pm)
Someone needs to show me where to get Gar! That's a big one!

PS about the blue walleye, they are extinct, that's just a blue colored walleye, rarely you'll find blue perch as well.

and naturally I have to ask, whats the difference between a blue colored walleye and a blue walleye, I will give you a little background here, there was no slimy blue on him, you couldn't wipe blue off as I have read on some of the "FAKES" for lack of terms, he was the same texture as any other walleye and the blue was predominately down the top of his back, I sent a picture to my cousin who forwarded it to his mnr buddy, he suggested "it looks like it could be a blue" just curious what gives it away to you that its not a "real" blue. is there something you see that we missed? extinction when it comes to fish can be a tough call. cheers!

Hi westarm
Sorry to interject on the gar discussion...which I'm enjoying by the way...I've never used live bait for them...only ever caught them casting with neutrally buoyant minnow baits...which is mostly frustrating because they only manage to hook themselves about 1 out of every 40 times they slash at the lures with their beaks in an effort to disable the minnow baits.

As for the blue walleye....genetic testing has indicated none of the 'original' strain of blue pickerel continue to exist in Nipissing.
The few remaining blue pickerel left by the 1950's/60's successfully interbred with stocked yellow's over time and the blue's 'pure' genetic background was presumably lost.
So even though it may appear you have a 'pure' blue pickerel...it's probably an alternative colour variation, many generations removed, of a blue/yellow cross.
I posted this back in 2015 when the topic came up then.

http://bluewalleye.org

The author was a senior management biologist for the Nipissing OMNRF and one time eventual consultant/biologist for the NFN on their lake walleye management plan.

Personally, I still call them blue pickerel myself when we catch the odd one each year down at our end of the lake. It's a good conversation moment for visitors when they pull one up and wonder why it looks slightly different then the rest of the walleye they're catching.

PM
westarm
Posted: Jul 28, 2018 - 09:39 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8318

QUOTE (Grumpa @ Jul 28, 2018 - 10:30 am)
QUOTE (westarm @ Jul 27, 2018 - 10:53 pm)
QUOTE (Sterling @ Jul 27, 2018 - 08:54 pm)
Someone needs to show me where to get Gar! That's a big one!

PS about the blue walleye, they are extinct, that's just a blue colored walleye, rarely you'll find blue perch as well.

and naturally I have to ask, whats the difference between a blue colored walleye and a blue walleye, I will give you a little background here, there was no slimy blue on him, you couldn't wipe blue off as I have read on some of the "FAKES" for lack of terms, he was the same texture as any other walleye and the blue was predominately down the top of his back, I sent a picture to my cousin who forwarded it to his mnr buddy, he suggested "it looks like it could be a blue" just curious what gives it away to you that its not a "real" blue. is there something you see that we missed? extinction when it comes to fish can be a tough call. cheers!

Hi westarm
Sorry to interject on their gar discussion...which I'm enjoying by the way...I've never used live bait for them...only ever caught them casting with neutrally buoyant minnow baits...which is mostly frustrating because they only manage to hook themselves about 1 out of every 40 times they slash at the lures with their beaks in an effort to disable the minnows baits.

As for the blue walleye....genetic testing has indicated none of the 'original' strain of blue pickerel continue to exist in Nipissing.
The few remaining blue pickerel left by the 1959's/60's successfully interbred with stocked yellow's over time and the blue's 'pure' genetic background was presumably lost.
So even though it may appear you have a 'pure' blue pickerel...it's probably an alternative colour variation, many generations removed, of a blue/yellow cross.
I posted this back in 2015 when the topic came up then.

http://bluewalleye.org

The author was a senior management biologist for the Nipissing OMNRF and one time eventual consultant/biologist for the NFN on their lake walleye management plan.

Personally, I still call them blue pickerel myself when we catch the odd one each year down at our end of the lake. It's a good conversation moment for visitors when they pull one up and wonder why it looks slightly different then the rest of the walleye they're catching.

hi grumpa, I realized I had them backwards always thought the slimy ones were {fake} lol.

also white tipped anal fin and tail is a dead giveaway

cheers.

and I agree, I have yet to hook one of those gars with a lure, 1 in 40 sounds about right to me

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jul 28, 2018 - 09:48 am

Lunker Trout

another question, our are lake nipissing gar longnose gar or spotted gar?

PMEmail Poster
Antique Fisherman
Posted: Jul 28, 2018 - 11:51 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7133

QUOTE (westarm @ Jul 28, 2018 - 12:02 am)
QUOTE (ldub @ Jul 27, 2018 - 07:55 pm)
Great report, what's your secret pike batter it looks tasty?

its delicious and simple

1 cup of flour
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
half teaspoon salt
mix all this stuff up and slowly add
1 beer until pancake consistency

Very similar to my receipt except I grab two spices - never the same twice just to add a little something.

Been fishing a DAM long time, never caught a Gar Pike

Great pictures

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: Jul 28, 2018 - 11:53 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4676

QUOTE (westarm @ Jul 28, 2018 - 09:48 am)

Long nose gar.

PM
westarm
Posted: Jul 28, 2018 - 12:17 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (Grumpa @ Jul 28, 2018 - 12:53 pm)
QUOTE (westarm @ Jul 28, 2018 - 09:48 am)

Long nose gar.

that's what I thought and have always called them, they can grow up to about 6' long!

the spotted gar doesn't grow as long

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Jul 30, 2018 - 03:07 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

Nice fishing westarm, good variety of fish you are catching, regardless the color. The gar pike is probably on a lot of peoples bucket list, including mine.

Nice to see you are getting out and having some good action, maybe you might want to save some of that action for this winter

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jul 30, 2018 - 03:54 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (FatRap @ Jul 30, 2018 - 04:07 pm)
Nice fishing westarm, good variety of fish you are catching, regardless the color. The gar pike is probably on a lot of peoples bucket list, including mine.

Nice to see you are getting out and having some good action, maybe you might want to save some of that action for this winter

FatRap, how dare you say the "W" word?? its not even august yet! lol.

everytime I try to fish in the winter my lures aren't heavy enough to go through the ice and my boat gets stuck! the upside is the beers always cold.

PMEmail Poster
Fishchaser67
Posted: Jul 30, 2018 - 05:48 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4782

Great pics ... ...i have only got 1 gar in my many years of fishing Nip..

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Jul 31, 2018 - 12:48 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

QUOTE (westarm @ Jul 30, 2018 - 05:54 pm)
QUOTE (FatRap @ Jul 30, 2018 - 04:07 pm)

FatRap, how dare you say the "W" word?? its not even august yet! lol.

everytime I try to fish in the winter my lures aren't heavy enough to go through the ice and my boat gets stuck! the upside is the beers always cold.

LMAO

Enjoy the rest of your summer, tight lines

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace