Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 > »»   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Open liquor on a boat
minnkota
Posted: Jul 29, 2018 - 06:09 am

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 766

Charges for open liquor and fishing without a licence

https://www.baytoday.ca/more-local/open-liq...-chaerge-996855

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: Jul 29, 2018 - 10:21 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7713

They never learn there lesson. Harder penalties may be the answer.

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Jul 29, 2018 - 11:53 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

Excellent ending.

PM
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Jul 29, 2018 - 01:34 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

Meh...
Open liquor... if it is a beer or two.... really?
The two kids turn 18 this year? Meh...

These offended really does not hurt our fisheries. But the law is the law I guess.

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Jul 29, 2018 - 03:13 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Fish4Dinner @ Jul 29, 2018 - 01:34 pm)
Meh...
The two kids turn 18 this year? Meh...

These offended really does not hurt our fisheries. But the law is the law I guess.

Really, if you can't function without liquor in a vehicle or vessel, YOU have a problem.

PM
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Jul 29, 2018 - 04:07 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (Fisherman @ Jul 29, 2018 - 03:13 pm)
QUOTE (Fish4Dinner @ Jul 29, 2018 - 01:34 pm)
Meh...
The two kids turn 18 this year?  Meh...

These offended really does not hurt our fisheries.  But the law is the law I guess.

Really, if you can't function without liquor in a vehicle or vessel, YOU have a problem.

I donít drink. I get something called Asian flush so alcohol is something I donít enjoy. I have seen people get a ticket for a couple of beers in a hut. People get a ticket for a couple of cans on a boat. I get it that the law is the law... but for those saying harder penalties are needed.... Meh.

PMEmail Poster
Fossy47
Posted: Jul 29, 2018 - 07:04 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 9546

Boys just doing their job. Keeping us safe & them too.

PMEmail Poster
GERS FC
Posted: Jul 29, 2018 - 10:01 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 2750

OK here is my take on this.you should not be in operating a watercraft while under the influence as you can also loose your vehicle driving licence. BUT there is a major grey area in this law. if 2 boats are fishing side by side and the police find both boat operators impaired and only 1 of the boat operators have a driving licence (remember you do not need a driving licence to operate a boat) so 1 boat operator looses his vehicle driving licence, what does the other boat operator loose.????

PMEmail Poster
nuzpaper
Posted: Jul 30, 2018 - 06:33 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 2396

If the driver isn't over the limit then I don't see an issue with it. In Quebec alcohol is allowed in the boat and it doesn't seem to be an issue. Passengers should be able to enjoy a drink sitting in a comfortable pontoon boat.

PMEmail Poster
Woodsman
Posted: Jul 30, 2018 - 08:09 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 477

QUOTE (GERS FC @ Jul 29, 2018 - 10:01 pm)
if 2 boats are fishing side by side and the police find both boat operators impaired and only 1 of the boat operators have a driving licence  (remember you do not need a driving licence to operate a boat) so 1 boat operator looses his vehicle driving licence, what does the other boat operator loose.????

If both are impared and found guilt in a court of law both would have a criminal record. So just because you don't have a drivers licence doesn't mean there is no penalty.
Also one thing many don't relize is if your found quilty of impared operation of a vessel it holds the same results as an impared charge for a motor vehicle. And a vessel doesn't require a motor to fall under these laws. So paddling a canoe while impared can lead to the same penalties as a motor boat.

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Jul 30, 2018 - 08:28 am

World Record Trout

If you don't have a drivers licence, they will create a file on you so if you ever go to get a licence there'll already be a black mark.

PM
westarm
Posted: Jul 30, 2018 - 09:13 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8318

my 2 cents, operating a boat license impaired is a completely different animal in my opinion, if you are drunk driving you are putting others at risk, no one cares if the drunk driver gets charged, in fact its probably the best case scenario over injuring or killing someone else or a member of someone elses family, I have no sympathy for that.
having said that, there are many times we have company at our place and cottage life and a few drinks go hand in hand to me, if I am completely sober and want to take a few people out for a joyride tour I can see no reason why they cant bring their "beer" and enjoy the sights, I always feel like a buzz killer everytime I say "oh, you have to leave your drink here, it cant be on the boat" i'm the driver, I am the one responsible for my crew and other people on the water, if i'm sober and my crew is not causing any problems with anyone else I fail to see a problem with it. at the end of the day the law is what it is and everyone knows it.

PMEmail Poster
GERS FC
Posted: Jul 30, 2018 - 09:48 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 2750

QUOTE (westarm @ Jul 30, 2018 - 09:13 am)
my 2 cents, operating a boat license impaired is a completely different animal in my opinion, if you are drunk driving you are putting others at risk, no one cares if the drunk driver gets charged, in fact its probably the best case scenario over injuring or killing someone else or a member of someone elses family, I have no sympathy for that.
having said that, there are many times we have company at our place and cottage life and a few drinks go hand in hand to me, if I am completely sober and want to take a few people out for a joyride tour I can see no reason why they cant bring their "beer" and enjoy the sights, I always feel like a buzz killer everytime I say "oh, you have to leave your drink here, it cant be on the boat" i'm the driver, I am the one responsible for my crew and other people on the water, if i'm sober and my crew is not causing any problems with anyone else I fail to see a problem with it. at the end of the day the law is what it is and everyone knows it.

he or she may never go for a driving licence. so my point is 1 operator can take drink on the boat and just keep getting tickets. the other with a licence gets the harder punishment.

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jul 30, 2018 - 11:34 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8318

QUOTE (GERS FC @ Jul 30, 2018 - 10:48 am)
QUOTE (westarm @ Jul 30, 2018 - 09:13 am)

he or she may never go for a driving licence. so my point is 1 operator can take drink on the boat and just keep getting tickets. the other with a licence gets the harder punishment.

if the one with the license is being responsible and driving the boat they have nothing to worry about.

if the one with no {drivers license} license is driving and has a boat license they will lose their boat license and be fined. and will be charged and on record if they do want a drivers license.

if you let someone drive your boat without either a drivers license or a boat license and you are impaired your just stupid.

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Jul 30, 2018 - 12:31 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8547

drinking age is 19 for starters. 18, it COULD be, because this is the first year they needed a license, that they have been used to not having to get a license because their father had one and all that stuff. this does come down to "know your regulations" but I can see that happening.

I think the real issue is drinking and driving. how many times do people NEED to be told, DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE! There is a reason this has been pushed so much and you hear it every day of your life... if you drink, don't drive...

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 > »»  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace