Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> If only there were CARP in Nipissing, Just Kidding
kokemachine
Posted: Aug 09, 2018 - 08:31 am

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 4328

Hey folks,

Since I moved up north from Toronto I have missed two fish: the salmon and the mighty carp!

I would hate for them to mess with the already delicate ecosystem of lake Nipissing but if they happened to be here in abundance I would definitely put in the time to catch a few. There aren't many fish that you can target in fresh water where every fish you catch is over 10lbs.

I was down fishing Rice Lake near Peterborough in May. Needless to say that there is a super abundant carp fishery in that lake. Our biggest fish was 26lbs and the smallest was 11. This video also has a short animation discussing rigs and baits. Enjoy!

Hard Carpin' On Rice Lake

If you just want to see the rig animation click here:
Simple Baits and Rigs For Carp

PMEmail Poster
Alleyes
Posted: Aug 09, 2018 - 08:45 am

Fry

Member No.: 12803

Hey, I don't believe the first link is working fyi.
Cheers

PMEmail Poster
kokemachine
Posted: Aug 09, 2018 - 09:14 am

Adult Trout

QUOTE (Alleyes @ Aug 09, 2018 - 08:45 am)
Hey, I don't believe the first link is working fyi.
Cheers

Thanks! It should be good now.

PMEmail Poster
Muskyhunter
Posted: Aug 10, 2018 - 05:03 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 13060

Koke,

Hate to say it bud they are in Nipissing. I caught one a few years ago in the West Arm. Thankfully I haven't caught anymore.

PMEmail Poster
kokemachine
Posted: Aug 10, 2018 - 07:15 pm

Adult Trout

@Muskyhunter

Oh yeah? I think I've heard of a few being caught. I wonder if the conditions up here aren't quite right for them to be abundant because it seems like everywhere down south is filthy with them.

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Aug 11, 2018 - 10:23 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8318

thanks for the vid KOKE, i'm not going to lie, that looks like a GREAT day to me! hanging out with some buds and catching some beasts! awesome!

PMEmail Poster
Muskyhunter
Posted: Aug 13, 2018 - 04:46 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 13060

Koke,

I would agree the conditions must not be suitable for them as we really dont have many this far up North.

Anybody know if they have carp around the Sault, Thunder Bay or Kenora area? Personally not that we want them - sorry just being honest.

PMEmail Poster
kokemachine
Posted: Aug 13, 2018 - 09:42 am

Adult Trout

QUOTE (westarm @ Aug 11, 2018 - 10:23 am)
thanks for the vid KOKE, i'm not going to lie, that looks like a GREAT day to me! hanging out with some buds and catching some beasts! awesome!

That's just it. It's something you can do from your dock, you can crack a beer and relax with your pals. It's pure catch and release fishing and carp get huge!

PMEmail Poster
kokemachine
Posted: Aug 13, 2018 - 10:04 am

Adult Trout

@Muskyhunter - "Personally not that we want them - sorry just being honest."

That's alright. In Canada carp are a generally despised species and they are not natural to North America. In other parts of the world carp are revered in the same way as musky are here. In certain parts of Europe to kill a carp is would be viewed in the same way as killing a musky ---Blasphemy. Here people go around bow fishing them and using them as fertilizer.

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Aug 13, 2018 - 12:03 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 15901

When I was a kid, not drinking age, me and buddies would fish river behind one buddies house. We would catch carp, cat fish and sheep head mostly. We would sell them to the Americas that were fishing along the river. We would always make enough to pay for the gas and a case of beer. I caught my 1st carp since then on Saturday trolling for walleye, man what a fight, I had forgotten.

PMEmail Poster
Simcoe Said
Posted: Aug 13, 2018 - 08:32 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11638

Dude that was an awesome fishing video. Loved the intro man.
Best ever lmfao

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Aug 14, 2018 - 11:21 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8318

QUOTE (kokemachine @ Aug 13, 2018 - 10:42 am)
QUOTE (westarm @ Aug 11, 2018 - 10:23 am)

That's just it. It's something you can do from your dock, you can crack a beer and relax with your pals. It's pure catch and release fishing and carp get huge!

AMEN brother! some of my most memorable fishing adventures have been right off the dock with some friends. in fact got a dock fishing day with some friends coming up and wondered if your brilliant carp method might work for some drum {sheephead}? they are also a blast to catch and get huge. they feed the same as carp and nip has a bunch. maybe they are what keep the carp in check? i love it when they fool someone into thinking they have a world record walleye......

PMEmail Poster
kokemachine
Posted: Aug 18, 2018 - 06:59 am

Adult Trout

I've always been impressed with the fight of a drum. I have often wondered if a bolt rig would work on other fish in the same way as it does with carp. It is truly a rig that works in the opposite way than most other fishing rigs. I know that drum have a similar set of teeth in the back of their throat that they use for crunching up mussels and such so I think there may be a possibility this rig would work for them. I wonder if they would be more interested in worms or if they would go for corn?

PMEmail Poster
kokemachine
Posted: Sep 13, 2018 - 05:33 am

Adult Trout

I finally finished editing day 2 of carp fishing rice lake.

https://youtu.be/fBquxJ1BwSY

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Sep 13, 2018 - 10:12 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

A couple of buddies, a couple of dogs and a whole lot of carpin'........great video koke, looks like a lot of fun

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace