» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Interesting article from BC, Could happen in Nipissing (Hope not)
Antique Fisherman
Posted: Aug 17, 2018 - 10:54 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7133

if someone is careless this could happen here

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-colu...ation-1.4785714

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: Aug 17, 2018 - 11:01 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7713

Hope this never happens in are great Ontario lakes. What a mess.

PMEmail Poster
Sterling
Posted: Aug 20, 2018 - 06:45 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9678

Here's what we know; Nipissing is a mini version of lake erie, essentially. Healthy population of walleye, perch, pike and bass. This apparently makes it tough for gold fish to survive. They're in Erie and I bet they're in Nipissing (or have been). Being gold makes you look tasty I guess!

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: Aug 23, 2018 - 10:04 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4676

QUOTE (Sterling @ Aug 20, 2018 - 06:45 am)
Here's what we know; Nipissing is a mini version of lake erie, essentially. They're in Erie and I bet they're in Nipissing (or have been). Being gold makes you look tasty I guess!

It's true that Erie and Nipissing are both rapid 'flush and fill' lakes. The water retention/replacement time or flushing time, so to speak, is relatively short for both (Erie because of it's size and volume, longer at about 2 1/2 years).
But in other respects, they are very different types of lakes.
From the perspective of biological activity, Nipissing is generally classified as a Mestrophic lake...Erie a Eutrophic lake.
Goldfish (gold carp) prefer or can at least tolerate certain types of habitat...Erie has vastly larger areas with conditions (particularly in the shallower western basin) preferable for a significant goldfish population. It's not so much predation that determines the successful growth of a goldfish population but the environment they inhabit.
Goldfish are certainly in Nipissing...likely through deliberate human introduction... but not showing up in any significant numbers.
On Erie (Michigan and Ohio actually maintain detail harvest records) goldfish have been commercially caught and highly sought after for over 60 years.
Having lived on Erie myself, for many decades, we regularly caught goldfish in our hoop and seine nets...with many losing their brillant gold colour over successive generations. And it may still be acceptable and permitted to use goldfish as bait in Ohio (although, I haven't recently checked the US baitfish regulations in that zone).
Similar to common carp, goldfish compete with native species for food and decrease water quality by increasing turbidity when foraging...which reduces natural plant life.
However, as biological impacts go, it would be relatively minor for lakes like Erie (or Nipissing for that matter)....I'd worry more about the introduction/invasion of species like the voracious round goby or worse...Asian carp.

https://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/2016/...the-Great-Lakes

PM
dmorrs35
Posted: Aug 23, 2018 - 10:21 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8547

I do agree with Grumpa about the Asian carp. but the gobys introduction has actually helped the walleye population in erie. my sister's fiancée has colleagues who sample on erie and they regularly find big 12-14 pound walleyes absolutely stuffed with gobies. most predatory fish including perch, bass and pike feed on them. his opinion, shared by a few in the MNRF actually had a positive effect on lake erie because of the predation and their versatility to live at various depths helps all different types of fish, shallow and deep water species feed and grow, even if they are a nuisance for the bottom bouncing worm fishermen who regularly get their hooks polished by their tiny mouths

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: Aug 23, 2018 - 10:55 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4676

Certainly true dmorrs35....round goby's have provided additional prey species for certain resident sportfishing predators on Erie....as you noted, walleye and smallmouth in particular.
In fact, an entire artificial bait line has been developed by several fishing tackle company's with imitation goby lures for smallmouth bass...smallmouth have certainly adapted their feeding behaviour to target gobys on Erie.
But with any invasive species there's usually negative outcomes involved.
Goby's unfortunately compete directly with and consume other native aquatic organisms, including the fish eggs of many different fish species.
Given that the walleye/bass on Nipissing have numerous and diverse natural food options already available....I'm not entirely sure I'd like to see and experiment with the environmental outcome of a extensive goby invasion on the lake's various native and naturalized species.
Goby's may in fact eventually find their way here...but IMO, we shouldn't be hoping for or even encouraging their arrival.

http://www.invadingspecies.com/round-goby/

PM
Antique Fisherman
Posted: Aug 23, 2018 - 11:38 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7133

This is why I love the Nipissing part of this Fishing Forum - it is completely informative and helpful.

Thanks all

PMEmail Poster
pickerel24
Posted: Aug 28, 2018 - 08:28 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 8214

i agree this forum is always enlightening. i learn more and more every time i read.
thanks for the posts excellent read
cheers
pickerel 24

PMEmail Poster
deerhunter
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 12:26 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10322

Some people are just plain daft. Releasing gold fish in an Ontario lake isn't right! Everyone knows gold fish are to be released in the toilet!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace