Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Crappie Beatdown, Lake X
Smilee
Posted: Feb 13, 2020 - 08:21 am

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 11276

Traveled to lake x 2 days ago w/ some friends, a lake we've never fished before,and were pleasantly surprised .
Crappie bit the whole time we were one the ice.Can't wait to go back.
Never saw another fisherman. Small jigs w plastics was the ticket. Kept 25 between us all, 11 to 13",
released probably 50+ that were shorties. Also caught a few gills in the mix.
All in all a good day!

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Feb 13, 2020 - 10:19 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

Nice! I guess I am heading to a Lake x soon as well.

PMEmail Poster
arjay
Posted: Feb 13, 2020 - 10:42 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 3233

We on our way to Lake Y now for the weekend but maybe we should plan for a day on Lake X. Do you have any more letters in your lake's name?

(Y = Sturgeon)

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Feb 13, 2020 - 12:52 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (arjay @ Feb 13, 2020 - 10:42 am)
We on our way to Lake Y now for the weekend but maybe we should plan for a day on Lake X. Do you have any more letters in your lake's name?

(Y = Sturgeon)

X=X or x

People donít want to give the actual name of the lake for a reason. He mentioned they were the only one on it so best to keep it that way.

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Feb 13, 2020 - 01:52 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 15807

I've also got a lake X and know there is good crappie numbers but have not been able to find them in the winter after trying similar kind of spots on another lake nearby. Since you had good success, are you willing to share the type of structure you looked for to find crappie on your first outing on the lake? Curious if the kind of things you looked for to set up your spot will work in my lake X as well. I"m out of options I have tried and need some other kinds of thinking (unless the stuff you looked for in deciding on spots to try are the same as mine, then I may hae to go way outside the box but that will mean alot more trial and error before I find them and being a walker, it will not be easy).

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Feb 13, 2020 - 03:09 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

QUOTE (Fish4Dinner @ Feb 13, 2020 - 02:52 pm)
QUOTE (arjay @ Feb 13, 2020 - 10:42 am)
We on our way to Lake Y now for the weekend but maybe we should plan for a day on Lake X.  Do you have any more letters in your lake's name?

(Y = Sturgeon)

X=X or x

People donít want to give the actual name of the lake for a reason. He mentioned they were the only one on it so best to keep it that way.

If you want to avoid this then Lake X should remain to be known as Lake X for now and forever

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Tommy_Niagara
Posted: Feb 13, 2020 - 04:30 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 14878

Don't be shy about keeping crappies. They are very prolific.

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Feb 13, 2020 - 08:00 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

Nice little haul Smilee. I suspect a great meal is in your future.

PMEmail Poster
Smilee
Posted: Feb 13, 2020 - 08:10 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11276

QUOTE (Flukes @ Feb 13, 2020 - 01:52 pm)
I've also got a lake X and know there is good crappie numbers but have not been able to find them in the winter after trying similar kind of spots on another lake nearby. Since you had good success, are you willing to share the type of structure you looked for to find crappie on your first outing on the lake? Curious if the kind of things you looked for to set up your spot will work in my lake X as well. I"m out of options I have tried and need some other kinds of thinking (unless the stuff you looked for in deciding on spots to try are the same as mine, then I may hae to go way outside the box but that will mean alot more trial and error before I find them and being a walker, it will not be easy).

Flukes.... We used our Navionics app to locate a starting point.Since most vegetation on lakes is usually 15' or less, we targeted these depths. Honestly,most of our fish were caught in 12' over the tops of the weeds. Vexilar was key to getting them to bite watching them come up to the 6' range to hit our baits.
Hope this helps you out... Good luck/ stay safe!

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Feb 13, 2020 - 11:19 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 15807

Thanks. I have also been searching around weeds but usually in even shallower waters. It's been really hit and miss...not just about catching but finding. Interesting that the hits have been mid water over the weeds though. Something for me to think about the next time I get a chance to get out that way.

PMEmail Poster
tjames
Posted: Feb 20, 2020 - 07:28 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 12662

QUOTE (arjay @ Feb 13, 2020 - 11:42 am)

(Y = Sturgeon)

Seriously? You have 10 posts.....lake x means not naming the lake and for good reason. Do some leg work and figure it out yourself.

PMEmail Poster
bobo123
Posted: Feb 21, 2020 - 01:58 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 12645

Nice job! I would love to get onto some of them. Just have to find time to search them up.

PMEmail Poster
Pisces
Posted: Feb 21, 2020 - 09:02 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 5740

Caught these in a hour tonight, took all afternoon to find them

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
EsoxWanderer
Posted: Feb 22, 2020 - 06:21 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 14917

Out of curiosity what is the point of keeping crappies and other panfish? I assume you can't really eat those. (Not being malicious as I never fish for panfish)

PMEmail Poster
Dbfish
Posted: Feb 22, 2020 - 07:13 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1601

They are the best eating,to some people, including myself!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!