Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What type of leader?
Collingwood Dean
Posted: Jun 18, 2021 - 06:22 am

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9535

Jerkbaiter started a great feed and I think I noticed a leader in one of the pictures.
...just wondering wha tpeople use for leaders (if any) when using jerkbaits.

PMEmail Poster
Fozzy47
Posted: Jun 18, 2021 - 09:28 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 18006

I use 50 lb test Seaguar Fluorocarbon Leader material.
I've had no bite offs yet and I'm in Pike and Muskie water all the time. Keeping my fingers crossed.
You can get heavier material if you choose....80 & 100 lbs test bor more but they are very stiff & heavy.
Good Luck with your choice.

Cheers,

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Jun 18, 2021 - 03:15 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 18589

Always had good luck with Mustad black wire 30lbs leaders long or short. I find that most of the fish Tbone my lures so that is why I use a leader on the line I cast crank baits or jerk baits with.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Sherlockbonez
Posted: Jun 18, 2021 - 08:36 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 13678

I use knot2kinky ti leaders.

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: Jun 20, 2021 - 01:22 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 12665

I posted somewhere earlier on the forum about my leaders.

I like to do them myself from stainless steel guitar strings (see picture below).

From one string with a cost of about $1.5-$2 I can do 3-4 leaders. If the leader is bend after fighting the fish , depending on what shape it is, I either straighten it with pliers or throw it away and replace with a new one.

For pike in cold water periods when the fish is finicky I usually use shorter leaders (6-8") and thinner gauge wire (about 0.3-0.35 mm) but in summer and early fall when the fish is more active I use longer ones (10-12") and a bit thicker wire (0.4-0.5 mm).

Also I do not use swivel on the leader when fishing jerkbaits, leader is tied directly to a line and just a snap at the end of it (I use Stay Lok snaps)

When i fish for walleye or bass on jerkbaits in pike/musky waters, I also use wire leaders with thinner diameter wire when fishing jerkbaits and fluorocarbon leader for jigs and other finesse presentations

Now, as far as jerkbaits are concerned I am a strong believer in stiff, non-flexible wire leaders and almost never use fluorocarbon or soft wire leaders when fishing jerkbaits.

Reason being is that soft leaders impede with gliding and jerking action of the lures when they are fished by twitching or jerking retrieve, as fishing jerks is similar to fishing musky gliders.

I use fluorocarbon leaders usually with spinners and bucktails and lures that are mainly retrieved by straight winding retrieve.

PS. Musky leaders is a different story - I normally use pre-made ones sold by Musky shops (Wire and Fluorocarbon - used based on similar considerations I described above)

Just my 2 cents.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Collingwood Dean
Posted: Jun 21, 2021 - 05:21 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9535

Thanks for all the input!

PMEmail Poster
Woodfarmer
Posted: Jun 21, 2021 - 07:46 am

Fry

Member No.: 19144

I buy pre-made fluorocarbon for Muskie and usually the wire for pike. I may start making my own from 30lb flouro as I find today’s wire ones twist too often. (they all seem to be made in China except Lucky strike).

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Jun 21, 2021 - 10:10 am

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (Woodfarmer @ Jun 21, 2021 - 07:46 am)
I buy pre-made fluorocarbon for Muskie and usually the wire for pike. I may start making my own from 30lb flouro as I find today’s wire ones twist too often. (they all seem to be made in China except Lucky strike).

Some of Lucky Strike products contain components made in china. I am so thankful for the hand made fishing products that I use everyday that are made in China. My three tackle boxes which were also made in China are full with items made in China. I have caught thousands of fish using fishing equipment made in China. I have never been disappointed with any fishing product that I have used that was made in China.

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Jun 21, 2021 - 10:15 am

Lunker Trout

So Jerkbaiter, do you actually play the guitar or just make leaders from the strings. That is such a good material to make the leader from.

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: Jun 21, 2021 - 10:24 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (crappeeeman @ Jun 21, 2021 - 10:15 am)
So Jerkbaiter, do you actually play the guitar or just make leaders from the strings. That is such a good material to make the leader from.

I actually used to play acoustic guitar in my student years , but those days are long gone, although I still admire and listen often to good rock music and guitar playing.

Those strings you can find in pretty much any musical instruments store or online and they are indeed pretty good leader material.

I usually make lots of them during long cold off season nights while watching a fishing show.

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: Jun 21, 2021 - 10:33 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (crappeeeman @ Jun 21, 2021 - 10:10 am)
QUOTE (Woodfarmer @ Jun 21, 2021 - 07:46 am)

Some of Lucky Strike products contain components made in china. I am so thankful for the hand made fishing products that I use everyday that are made in China. My three tackle boxes which were also made in China are full with items made in China. I have caught thousands of fish using fishing equipment made in China. I have never been disappointed with any fishing product that I have used that was made in China.

Agree with you, Crappeeeman.

The reality is that we have lots of good quality brand name products made in China but we also have access online to a wide variety of different fishing products also made in China and the quality of them varies so you have to pick and choose wisely.

PMEmail Poster
Fall Water
Posted: Jul 11, 2021 - 09:41 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 18597

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!