Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: «« < 2 3 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Catch & Release fishing is doing harm
WTFish
Posted: Oct 15, 2018 - 02:33 pm

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 14462

Comparing fish to humans is a bit of an extreme example

But how about a deer? If you purposely hooked, hauled in and released a deer while filming you'd probably be going to jail for animal cruelty. So is a fish so vastly inferior of a creature that it's acceptable to torment them for fun? I'm not sure..

Legally of course they are not comparable, but morally, what is the difference really?

There is a strong tradition in fishing and someone at some point came up with catch and release rather than limiting fishing altogether as a way to help the fishery.

Thing is, attitudes are changing and I don't believe pure catch and release is ethically defensible. I can totally see it becoming illegal in the next couple of decades.

It's gonna be like those old ads for heroin cough drops: "I can't believe people used to do that"

PMEmail Poster
Lookinforeyes
Posted: Oct 15, 2018 - 03:17 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 14252

ok now that's a little more comparable but hunting a deer you kill it, Fishing vs Hunting = apples vs oranges same shape but different otherwise...because I care about people and wildlife maybe there should be a program available for people like me where my I donate my harvest to food banks rather than condemn for enjoying life... or again agree to disagree we come in peace ✌️

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Oct 15, 2018 - 05:30 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

Since it has not been established which is worse for the sustainability of the various fisheries, it seems a bit presumptuous for one side or the other to try to claim some sort of moral high ground. I have seen some strict C & R types try to do that. That's just my experience. That is not to say that som 'catch and cook' people might likewise try to claim that same ground. Until such time as that question can be reasonably answered it think it's smart to be tolerant or both viewpoints.

PMEmail Poster
Seguin Fisher
Posted: Oct 15, 2018 - 06:09 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 9952

QUOTE (Knuguy @ Oct 15, 2018 - 05:30 pm)
Since it has not been established which is worse for the sustainability of the various fisheries, it seems a bit presumptuous for one side or the other to try to claim some sort of moral high ground. I have seen some strict C & R types try to do that. That's just my experience. That is not to say that som 'catch and cook' people might likewise try to claim that same ground. Until such time as that question can be reasonably answered it think it's smart to be tolerant or both viewpoints.

^ That, is a pretty good outlook on the whole thing.
Seems like mostly common sense should rule here, if you want to keep some for a feed, go for it, just be mindful of the limits set in place and donít burn out a small lake that canít handle every fish being kept out of it. And if your wanting to let em go, cool, just make sure your not flipping them around on the bottom of the boat and yanking hooks out of their gut etc.

I donít mind a few for a feed every now and again but more often then not I come home with an empty livewell ( by choice, not because I didnít catch any).

I think we have to stop riding up on that high horse and maybe just let other people do their own thing and not criticize them so damn much, as long as the laws are being followed.

PMEmail Poster
Lookinforeyes
Posted: Oct 15, 2018 - 07:39 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 14252

All great opinions I do apologize and I've pm'd others involved my apology. This is a forum and we are all entitled to our opinion... my spouse just made a comment to me some of you may find entertaining... she said you quit smoking 4 weeks ago and p##### off thousands of people maybe in need help with this non smoking stuff eh!!
So there ya have it I was already in s mood and felt somewhat provoked but still should not have displayed such an angry self... hope to remain forum friends with many of you and will try to remember my opinion no greater than anyone else's in this forum👍

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Oct 15, 2018 - 07:51 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

Nice move

PM
GrandRiverWill
Posted: Oct 19, 2018 - 07:21 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12632

I don't know why everyone is so butt hurt. If everyone is following the regulations, whether it be for catch & release or to bring home dinner, who cares how they fish. If C&R impacts the fish in such a bad way, why does the MNR still allow it?

PMEmail Poster
zvejnieks
Posted: Oct 19, 2018 - 08:18 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 10008

In my opinion , while C&R is totally allowed....just by it's nature, it can un-intentionally hurt a fragile fishery like LT and whitefish. We have to be ultra-careful to protect that resource.
Just because something is legal, it doesn't necessarily make it right or the best thing.

I hope that MNR will be reconsidering C&R for trout/whitefish on sensitive lakes.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Yesterday at 07:00 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10908

I can not speak about White fish as I don't really catch many. As far as Lake Trout they are a great species for catch and release if, and I stress if, they are fought and handled properly.

Short fight on heavy gear. Lake trout burp so no issue with their swim bladder.
Use a landing net so you can control the fish and get the hook out with the fish in the water in the net.
If a pic is needed someone get the camera ready before the fish is removed from the water.
Quick pic and back it goes.

I have never had a Lake Trout die due to the stress of the fight. With me they spend a rare 10 seconds out of the water and I have never ever had one pop back up.

The only one killed by me by accident was because the treble hook was through its gills and bleeding profusely. This fish was harvested and given to another happy angler for the table.

Since this tread is about "Catch and release is doing harm", and no proof has been tabled to back this claim I think we all should consider this broad statement as a bunch of garbage. Many studies exist on the benifits of catch and release so the science is on the side of catch and release. I do not deny there may be sensitive species that may not benifit from catch and release but could only speculate as to which species those are.

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Yesterday at 12:42 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

Yes I do believe catch and release hurt fish... I do believe the sole intent to just c&r is unethical. But I strongly believe that we need the mixture of both. Without allowing people to catch and release as a sport... it will decimate the income revenue to bait and tackle shops.... the mnr and small business around these lakes. So changes to c&r hopefully will never change.

How can we reduce the mortality rate is dependent on the sole person who is fishing. Do your part and handle fish properly, keep the ones you think will not survive... reel up deep fish slower? Fishery can be replaced... not like it will extinct. Can all be reverse with time, money and effort. But the good times with family and friends cannot be easily replaced... so get out and wet some lines and make good memories!

P.S: FU PETA!
Sorry LSO1. That will be my only personal attack for today!

PMEmail Poster
icecy
Posted: Yesterday at 11:23 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 4685

Unnecessary, so content deleted...

PMEmail Poster
icecy
Posted: Yesterday at 11:31 pm

Parr Trout

QUOTE (WTFish @ Oct 15, 2018 - 02:33 pm)
Comparing fish to humans is a bit of an extreme example

But how about a deer? If you purposely hooked, hauled in and released a deer while filming you'd probably be going to jail for animal cruelty. So is a fish so vastly inferior of a creature that it's acceptable to torment them for fun? I'm not sure..

Legally of course they are not comparable, but morally, what is the difference really?

There is a strong tradition in fishing and someone at some point came up with catch and release rather than limiting fishing altogether as a way to help the fishery.

Thing is, attitudes are changing and I don't believe pure catch and release is ethically defensible. I can totally see it becoming illegal in the next couple of decades.

It's gonna be like those old ads for heroin cough drops: "I can't believe people used to do that"

Yes, the example i have given was extreme but the purpose was to invoke thought, not to "PROVOKE" (as someone else claimed). In any case i once again totally agree with you.

PMEmail Poster
icecy
Posted: Yesterday at 11:51 pm

Parr Trout

QUOTE (GrandRiverWill @ Oct 19, 2018 - 07:21 am)
If C&R impacts the fish in such a bad way, why does the MNR still allow it?

Good question, but it is the same MNR who allows so many fish kept, who needs 6 walleye for dinner! (i.e. Lake Erie) or 50 perch for a fish fry (i.e. Lake Simcoe).

On a different note I personally hold a conservation licence and am happy to return home with just 1 walleye or up to 25 perch. So I self-impose my limits by buying a conservation licence. I don't go fishing purely for catch and release fun (although i know there are times a release is unavoidable), have many other hobbies to enjoy life than torturing animals for the sole purpose of entertainment. Again no one should take these comments personally and get worked-up. You could do whatever you want within the laws and guidelines. I just chose to do as i mentioned.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: «« < 2 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace