Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Proper Prop Pitch ?
miro
Posted: Jul 28, 2018 - 04:49 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3947

Hay guys, just looking for some advice. How do you determine proper pitch on your prop to get the best performance and fuel economy when water testing. What should I be looking out for ?

PMEmail Poster
Seguin Fisher
Posted: Jul 28, 2018 - 07:34 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 9952

Ideally you want to get as close to what your manual says is WOT max rpms when the throttle is all the way down while running at top speed/trim angle with your typical weight load. Sometimes you can achieve this but may be sluggish getting on plane, if thatís the case, youíll likely have to try one pitch down to get a bit more lift at the start. Every boat configuration is different and you have to sometimes play around with things a bit to get it to the optimum performance.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Jul 28, 2018 - 09:58 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10908

Seguin has it correct.

For a starting range use the on line Mercury Prop selector as a guide.

Optimum pitch is subject to your needs. Some people will want max speed or some better hole shot.
Either way getting good fuel Mileage out of a boat is not usually the goal. Per km boats suck on gas. As long as you are not over pitched you should get normal fuel mileage for your engine.

Note most boats on the water today usually are over pitched, people think more pitch means more speed but that is just untrue.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Jul 28, 2018 - 10:24 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: Jul 29, 2018 - 10:39 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7713

Just like everyone is saying depens on what you want out of the prop top end or out of the hole. Also depends on boat length and weight and also hp. Do all your resech on the prop. Also do you want an aluminum or stainless prop. Big price differance there. For example on my 40' Fountian with 1600hp I am running a M6 outdrive with a 5 blade cleaver prop 18" diameter with 37 pitch. For my 150 Mercury I use a Vengeance 21 pitch. All depends on what your doing. Larger pitch you need more power slower out of hole more top end. Smaller pitch fast out of hole but loose on top end. Hope this helped out.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace