Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> School me in Ice Huts, Seasonal Hut Pros/Cons/Work
Species8472
Posted: Oct 20, 2020 - 05:55 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 16923

Been a run and gun sorta guy all my life but debating the merits of a seasonal hut.

Interested on input regarding pros vs cons. I would still do some running and gunning but would use the seasonal to fish and as a base.

Also what sort of size for say 3 people with the capability to overnight? I know there would be great seasonal variation but in an average year how often do you have to lift the hut out of the water/slush?

Would a 3 person overnight capable hut be towable by snowmobile? For reference my sled is fairly capable - 900 cc Skandic, super wide, skins, studs, scratchers, low gear tow mode with a "Ski-Doo" tow rating of 1500 lbs.

Also what are people comfortable leaving in the hut security wise? Nothing? Propane and Heater?

Also if relevant last year i made it out 8 weekends between Jan 01 to Mar 15 and anticipate similar in 2021.

Any other words of wisdom appreciated.

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Oct 20, 2020 - 09:12 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

There will be a few ideas and opinions, but I would go to a couple of the hut ops and ask to see their 4 person huts and go from there. It may give you some good ideas.

PM
jstrooms
Posted: Oct 21, 2020 - 08:09 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 11048

maybe not what you want to hear but id recommend just getting a nice big insulated pop up.
the ones from otter are huge. I have camped with two guys overnight plenty of room and they make an even bigger one than what i have. i have debated this with buddies but to me the portability and lack of maintenance just cant be beat. like you mentioned depending on weather, with a permanent hut you have to be out there putting hut on blocks and have to worry about theft.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Oct 21, 2020 - 10:36 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

With the cost of material and your time to build I'd go with a big insulted hut, two heaters and buy some cots.
You could as well make a foldable floor and put the portable on top of the floor..
The floor if designed right could be the sled to pull out the gear as well..
Just a suggestion and I'm sure your machine would pull this easier then a heavy permanent hut..
Cheers and lets us know the outcome..

PMEmail Poster
Species8472
Posted: Oct 21, 2020 - 10:41 am

Smolt Trout

Thanks for the input.

Hate those #$%@ hubs especially in the wind - maybe it's just me or the brand of shelter.

Sounds like portable is still the way to go. Have the cots, heaters etc already and have a 5 man that 2 guys could sleep in but not 3. Might have to get a second toboggan as the stuff required is a lot compared to just day tripping.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Oct 21, 2020 - 10:58 am

World Record Trout

The big downfall to any fabric portable hut is the wind..anchor anchor anchor..
I've often though about using 2x4s and attaching the flaps on top, then anchor them into the ice..

PMEmail Poster
kenster
Posted: Oct 22, 2020 - 10:59 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 12683

after many decades with a stay put ice hut i just purchased an eskimo 949i pop up.
Guess i will find out this winter. My thought is no jacking up and no pulling in and out.Also when fishing dies off i can move.I will miss the just drive out and start fishing though.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Oct 22, 2020 - 11:07 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (kenster @ Oct 22, 2020 - 10:59 am)
after many decades with a stay put ice hut i just purchased an eskimo 949i pop up.
Guess i will find out this winter. My thought is no jacking up and no pulling in and out.Also when fishing dies off i can move.I will miss the just drive out and start fishing though.

That's a awesome hut, that's the one I was waiting for to go on sale but never did. I couldn't pass up the deal I got on the Eskimo 3i. It was such a great deal I purchased 2 and flipped the other one...
Enjoy the nice New hut..

PMEmail Poster
kenster
Posted: Oct 23, 2020 - 10:08 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 12683

Got a very good deal online from Dominion outdoors.They're having a ten year anniversary salel.Will post some future Pic's on the Lake.

PMEmail Poster
Species8472
Posted: Nov 13, 2020 - 02:15 pm

Smolt Trout

So decided to scrap the seasonal hut idea and take the budget for that and do a 7 trip by snowmobile into Wabakimi in March. Already have all the gear i need for that.

PMEmail Poster
Donny135
Posted: Nov 13, 2020 - 05:00 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 17736

Just my opinion, until your to old to run and gun I'd stick with pop-up shelters. Especially the security factor of the permanent huts, it never made sense to me. You see people on the forum every year reporting break-ins. They always seem like a dream until you consider all the factors to consider, I think as long as I'm capable I'll stick with the pop-ups (also a lifesaver budget-wise lmao). Stay safe this not so quickly approaching early-season everyone!

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Nov 25, 2020 - 06:20 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 15869

We had a permanent on Simcoe for years and a few friends fished it as well. Itís awesome to drive out to the hut flip the heater on and start fishing. However thereís no free ride as we had to haul it up(2 hour drive ) and it took a couple extra people to set it up. If I was doing it again I would build it as light as possible so it would be easier to move even during the season if the fishing slowed down.

I stayed in it overnight most weekends and it sure made winter pass quickly. Those were good times and we caught a fair number of fish.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!