Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Looking for a spinning reel
TonyAngler
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 09:08 pm

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 14096

Hi everyone,
I am looking for a reel for my MH rod . I will be mainly flipping/pitching for bass near tall weeds and edges of lilypads.
Don't really want to spend more than $120.

Any suggestions?
I have been eyeing on the daiwa legalis 2500 and the shimano nasci2500...but I've heard mixed reviews about them.

Thanks in advance,

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 10:33 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7713

I currently have the shimano nasci2500 and really like the real. I donít use it much because I always use baitcaster. But overall it a nice fishing reel. Find it very smooth and has a great drag. This is just my option others may think different.

PMEmail Poster
sabby
Posted: Jun 01, 2018 - 03:31 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9998

Daiwa BG for the win.

PMEmail Poster
mephisto_lake
Posted: Jun 01, 2018 - 04:07 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 11714

Best spinning reel(s) I've purchased under $100 pflueger president xt, it's beat out a few of my other spinning reels that come in around $150.

PMEmail Poster
Attila
Posted: Jun 01, 2018 - 06:37 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11988

Have you considered using a baitcasting outfit?

For the price you've listed you could actually pick up a baitcasting combo that, because you're not really using it for casting, could handle some heavier line and be a lot more efficient at bringing fish out of that type of cover.

If you're wishing to go ahead with a spinning reel, in that price range the Daiwa Fuego which retails at Sail for $129.99 is a very good reel that will last you for a long time.

PMEmail Poster
TonyAngler
Posted: Jun 01, 2018 - 09:05 am

Fry

QUOTE (Attila @ Jun 01, 2018 - 07:37 am)

For the price you've listed you could actually pick up a baitcasting combo that, because you're not really using it for casting, could handle some heavier line and be a lot more efficient at bringing fish out of that type of cover.

If you're wishing to go ahead with a spinning reel, in that price range the Daiwa Fuego which retails at Sail for $129.99 is a very good reel that will last you for a long time.

I do have a couple of baitcasting combos but I enjoy using spinning combos more haha
I have never used the Fuego line before but I heard it does not uphold to the quality to its predecessor.

Daiwa has introduced a new LT line , which covers the Legalis, Exceler, Fuego, Ballistic - not many reviews out there yet...

PMEmail Poster
EJ_B
Posted: Jun 01, 2018 - 09:42 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 7039

Iíve got a couple Pflueger presidents.. and president xt great spinning reels! I just ordered 2 more XTís this week

PMEmail Poster
Attila
Posted: Jun 01, 2018 - 10:41 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11988

QUOTE (TonyAngler @ Jun 01, 2018 - 10:05 am)
QUOTE (Attila @ Jun 01, 2018 - 07:37 am)

I do have a couple of baitcasting combos but I enjoy using spinning combos more haha
I have never used the Fuego line before but I heard it does not uphold to the quality to its predecessor.

Daiwa has introduced a new LT line , which covers the Legalis, Exceler, Fuego, Ballistic - not many reviews out there yet...

Well, I've got both an LT and an SH version and have had zero issues with both of them. I've been throwing small crankbaits and jerkbaits with them and even tangled with some pike earlier this year on them and they worked like a charm.

I have one spooled with 20lbs braid and the other with 15lbs braid and they manage the line well, no wind knots or tangles as yet.

My second choice would be the President's that everyone else has suggested; really good bang for the buck.

PMEmail Poster
Elk hunter
Posted: Jun 01, 2018 - 08:30 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 2142

I have a Pflueger president XT C30 for sale only used it a couple times last fall. $80 OBO. I like the reel but would rather have a baitcaster.

PMEmail Poster
Blake85
Posted: Jun 02, 2018 - 01:04 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12915

Ive had a Nasci 2500. Im used to using Stradics, so when I stepped down a bit I was left frustrated and not entirely happy.

If you spring a few extra bucks a Stradic is smoooth as butter and bullet proof.

Blake

PMEmail Poster
sabby
Posted: Jun 02, 2018 - 05:22 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9998

http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/bg16.html

If you want to use a spinning rod for flipping and pitching I still maintain that the daiwa bg is your best bet. All of the suggested reels are excellent options but none are as rigidly constructed as the bg.

I personally own several pflueger reels, they are awesome. I recommend them frequently, but when it comes to flipping I would choose something that is built with a rigid frame and I would choose a larger size.

PMEmail Poster
TonyAngler
Posted: Jun 05, 2018 - 10:36 am

Fry

QUOTE (sabby @ Jun 02, 2018 - 06:22 pm)
http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/bg16.html

If you want to use a spinning rod for flipping and pitching I still maintain that the daiwa bg is your best bet. All of the suggested reels are excellent options but none are as rigidly constructed as the bg.

I personally own several pflueger reels, they are awesome. I recommend them frequently, but when it comes to flipping I would choose something that is built with a rigid frame and I would choose a larger size.

Wow very thorough review !!

the BG does look like a very decent reel.
The only daiwa reel I own is the ballistic (older version) and I'm pretty happy with it. I guess I will start switching from shimano/abu garcia to daiwa!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace