Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Would you do this in your backyard?, Ice Garbage
Woodenstiks
Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 06:19 am

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 10202

When are we going to learn to respect our environment? Too late I suspect. It casts a bad light on us all.

https://www.nugget.ca/news/local-news/angle...-lake-nipissing

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 07:45 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

QUOTE (Woodenstiks @ Mar 23, 2019 - 06:19 am)
When are we going to learn to respect our environment? Too late I suspect. It casts a bad light on us all.

I could grab my camera and take a couple of pictures on boardering lots behind me in the neighbourhood. Old cars, a couple of rotten fibreglass truck caps, half a skid of bricks, drainage pipes, old swing set, broken picnic tables, plastic buckets, etc. I know there's untidy lot by laws but the township doesn't enforce them, I had to go as far to take some pictures of a neighbour growing 2 foot high ragweed plants and go to the township. People are lazy. One neigbour was so lazy he let his dog crap on the deck and then hose it off once a week.

PM
SSIC
Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 07:47 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 5326

I try not to say much when subjects like these come up, but this is the second time i have seen it on the board, so i'm throwing my two cents in to defend the outfitters on the lake. I hope it isn't going to back fire on me. It's amazing how 1 guy with a camera that dose not like commercial ice fishing can get so much media attention. I for one have been on the ice 5 different times since my huts came off, and will still be going out until the ice is unsafe. Each time i go out i find stuff to pick up. I don't take pictures of it i put it in a garbage bag and bring it to shore. As far as the blocking goes. It was a tough winter for slush and water. Again each time i go out i bring blocks and debris in with me.The stuff i bring in is not always mine, but i still bring it in {sorry no pictures}. Im sure the garbage and blocks have been removed from the lake. You have until March 31 to remove ice huts and debris from Lake Nipissing. Most outfitters that i know go to their spots time and time again to make sure all has been cleaned up. The MNRF is on the lake as well, and will make sure things are cleaned up properly. So my opinion, the pictures were taken a little premature being as we still have another week to clean up. If you want to talk about the human waste, not sure what happened there, but i don't see a lot of pictures of it (I'm sure if there was more we would of seen more pictures) Bag may have broke, pail may of broke, may have put it out side to freeze ( as picture guy said) could of been covered in snow until it melted. But again give the guy a chance to clean it up before crying wolf and getting everyone upset. I hope i didn't p### anyone off with my opinion.

PMEmail Poster
Woodenstiks
Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 08:01 am

Fry

Nice to know you are so diligent SSIC , two thumbs up didnít mean to target outfitters we could all be more aware . Spending a lot of time in the outdoors I often come across discarded garbage - plastic especially- and just shake my head and take out what I can...

PMEmail Poster
train
Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 09:26 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16022

Well said, SSIC... Once again, a cellphone camera and the media have become Judge, Jury and Executioner....

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 09:28 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4441

QUOTE (SSIC @ Mar 23, 2019 - 07:47 am)
I try not to say much when subjects like these come up, but this is the second time i have seen it on the board, so i'm throwing my two cents in to defend the outfitters on the lake. I hope it isn't going to back fire on me. It's amazing how 1 guy with a camera that dose not like commercial ice fishing can get so much media attention. I for one have been on the ice 5 different times since my huts came off, and will still be going out until the ice is unsafe. Each time i go out i find stuff to pick up. I don't take pictures of it i put it in a garbage bag and bring it to shore. As far as the blocking goes. It was a tough winter for slush and water. Again each time i go out i bring blocks and debris in with me.The stuff i bring in is not always mine, but i still bring it in {sorry no pictures}. Im sure the garbage and blocks have been removed from the lake. You have until March 31 to remove ice huts and debris from Lake Nipissing. Most outfitters that i know go to their spots time and time again to make sure all has been cleaned up. The MNRF is on the lake as well, and will make sure things are cleaned up properly. So my opinion, the pictures were taken a little premature being as we still have another week to clean up. If you want to talk about the human waste, not sure what happened there, but i don't see a lot of pictures of it (I'm sure if there was more we would of seen more pictures) Bag may have broke, pail may of broke, may have put it out side to freeze ( as picture guy said) could of been covered in snow until it melted. But again give the guy a chance to clean it up before crying wolf and getting everyone upset. I hope i didn't p### anyone off with my opinion.

There's always two sides to a story. You should never apologize for defending your side

PMEmail Poster
Woodenstiks
Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 09:52 am

Fry

Nice to know you are so diligent SSIC , two thumbs up didnít mean to target outfitters we could all be more aware - members of the general public as well. Spending a lot of time in the outdoors I often come across discarded garbage and just shake my head and take out what I can...

PMEmail Poster
KUBOTA
Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 11:00 am

Fry

Member No.: 6277

Well said SSIC

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Apr 01, 2019 - 10:31 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8318

QUOTE (Woodenstiks @ Mar 23, 2019 - 07:19 am)

hi Woodenstiks, hope all is well, I can sympathize with your post and think about it all the time, the media is what it is and full of self promotion, I am just going to say this about it, the "trash" part of this is the part that disgusts me. that has nothing to do with outfitters and lies squarely on the shoulders of those who made the mess which is the clients, the blocks and such will be removed when they are not frozen and the garbage will likely be removed by responsible folks like SSIC or anyone one of us who cant stand looking at it, but that doesn't fix the problem, it merely lets the pigs do what they will without consequence or responsibility, this problem goes much further then ice fishing. people are disgusting slobs a lot of the time, especially the ones there for a short time and don't care, I cannot count how many times I see trash by public areas all around the lake, is it so difficult to pack your junk and garbage out? everything from beer cans, pop cans, cigarette butts, wrappers, worm containers, spent shells its brutal, we have a trail riding weekend and every single time you pull up to an absolute stellar location with beautiful views of the lake with an open area to enjoy in the middle of nowhere there is garbage everywhere, its pathetic. we drink and eat and shoot just the same but if it takes a half hour to pick up shells and our junk then that's how long it takes. nothing worse then being in a beautiful place and having complete disrespect for it. anyway that's my 2 cents.
cheers! may your fishing and golf season be the best ever!

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Apr 01, 2019 - 03:40 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (SSIC @ Mar 23, 2019 - 07:47 am)

A great response and I know you take great care on all of those items when feasible

on a slightly different note, while human waste is not pleasant to look at on ice in particular, I would not get bent out of shape over a few packages, after all, fish crap, so do all birds and other critter using the lake.

plastic is the huge culprit imo

PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace