Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 > »»   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Tapping out. Too Expensive!
riverrat
Posted: Jun 13, 2022 - 06:07 am

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 884

Well didn't think 2022 was going to be worst then 2020-21. but it is! Due to cuts at work i am now on part time, have a wife, 2 kids and a dog. Less money coming in, price of groceries is UP, price of clothes and shoes UP, cost of gas way way UP. That's all folks! Boat is staying grounded, I don't have the $$$$ to put gas in it and go fishing, nevermind paying for parking and launch fees. Anyone else finding it rough?

PMEmail Poster
reelinginthebigone
Posted: Jun 13, 2022 - 11:50 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 18443

I completely understand.

Boating is a luxury in the end, and when times get tough, it's typically the first to go. I've seen a lot of boats for sale lately, and not even small boats, there are three boats at Friday harbour for sale right now that I know about, because they are on my dock. One is a 63-foot for $2 million, and two other 45-footers.

I think even people who have the means to purchase these large boats are feeling the pinch too. I couldn't imagine running a boat that large. For the 45-footers, it's roughly $28 per km at current gas prices. So going 15km is roughly $420.. wow.

Even the smaller boats are expensive to maintain as well, as you have mentioned. I don't think the current prices will continue. There becomes a point where the demand for fuel will drop and then prices will drop. The industry has created a false supply scarcity to reap profits. But they will continue to take these profits until demand drops.

US and Canada have failed to regulate this industry. In other parts of the word, such as Lybia, gas is cheaper than bottled water.

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/Libya/gasoline_prices/

Have you thought about splitting the costs of boating with a friend or someone on this forum? I'm sure there might be some others who'd love to hop in a boat and share some of the costs.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Jun 13, 2022 - 12:39 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10908

I havenít had to park the boat yet but yes I have scaled WAY back on my boating trips. They will be much fewer based on fuel prices. As far as launch fees I just refuse to pay them and donít go where itís required any more.

PMEmail Poster
natureguppy
Posted: Jun 13, 2022 - 01:12 pm

Fry

Member No.: 19722

Feeling the pinch here too.
Decided to pick my recreation time this season, Ive raced dirtbikes for some years and decided that will be the sport to go since I love fishing and boating with my family.
Really tough choice since still able to be competitive on the bikes even thought getting older, but budget will only allow for one of them.
Always happy for company in my boat, its a small tinny but anyone is welcome and launch out of Barrie or Innisfil.
Hope you're able to find a way to stay on the water, and really hope the out of control gas prices and inflation normalizes. Filling my truck (dodge ram) is what's really killin me lol.

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Jun 13, 2022 - 01:54 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

I have been grounded from fishing from my own boat now for 6 years because of my shoulder injuries. Not able to launch on or off trailer by myself. Most of my fishing is done from shore or I go in a friends boat. There is always a solution to any problem. Somebody on the forum might have better ideas than I do. Maybe you can team up with someone that is in the same situation and split the cost of a day on the water. Or do more shore fishing, there are so many great places to shore fish all over Ontario. I wish you luck in the future. Not just fishing, but I hope your situation gets better very soon.

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Jun 13, 2022 - 08:26 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 15807

Yup...same here. But if there was a good time to reduce fishing for me, this is the time (young baby to care for). So I am not as stressed about the cost of fishing now and will wait to see what happens later when I can fish again. No boat (yet) but cost of filling the car up is plenty enough to reduce any fishing time that I would have had.
Great idea about splitting costs with someone else. Maybe that can be something the admin can set up so it's easier for people to meet others and share costs on fishing trips...who knows, some good friendships may result and maybe the way you will fish in the future.
I am sure James (Xiaolu is laughing all the way to the bank now). Actually, if I were to get a boat, it would be a high-end inflatable boat like the Zodiacs that I use for work (much, much easier on gas)....or use a kayak or canoe (sure, range and fishing times are limited to better weather but would be so much less with costs).

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Jun 13, 2022 - 09:51 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

QUOTE (riverrat @ Jun 13, 2022 - 06:07 am)
Well didn't think 2022 was going to be worst then 2020-21. but it is! Due to cuts at work i am now on part time, have a wife, 2 kids and a dog. Less money coming in, price of groceries is UP, price of clothes and shoes UP, cost of gas way way UP. That's all folks! Boat is staying grounded, I don't have the $$$$ to put gas in it and go fishing, nevermind paying for parking and launch fees. Anyone else finding it rough?

Try being a retiree on a fixed income with no raise in pension for 15 years. A economy doubles every 7 to 10 years. A lot of our elderly are suffering.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Longshank
Posted: Jun 14, 2022 - 12:15 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

Ya, It;s tough on many for sure. I'm feeling it for myself, but we did budget for a big spike for fuel so we will keep on fishing, but choose trips more carefully

I've done my spring early summer trips and now will back off on those and enjoy Erie walleye , shore fishing and cottage as much as possible

The shore fishing is a nice change of pace and cost 7.00 all in

Attached Image

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
sabmgb
Posted: Jun 14, 2022 - 06:48 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15901

LS I look at that picture and all I can think of is the smoker. I'm also retired and have canned any plans for taking in any long trips pulling the boat, was planning on trailering to simcoe, but no more. Trailered to Leamington on Monday, figured it cost about 45 in jeep to get there and back, the fishing is the cheapest part, but agreed find a friend even one that has a boat and you can take turns going out, I have cut costs on everything I can so I can keep fishing. No stopping for breakfast and coffee, make it at home. Freeze my own water for ice. Just wish my back was good and I'd be picking my own worms. But am I glad I'm not in your place, young kids, mortgage , wages down and everything else up.

PMEmail Poster
fish hawk
Posted: Jun 15, 2022 - 04:57 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 374

Retired people ( including myself) we feel the pinch . No paycheck only fixed income ( government pension ) and these insane gas prices makes my plan changing too. I still do a little fishing but big cut back on many things for sure!

My boat looks very nice and clean on my driveway....

PMEmail Poster
FisherGirl4Life
Posted: Jun 15, 2022 - 07:10 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 5610

Try being a retiree on a fixed income with no raise in pension for 15 years. A economy doubles every 7 to 10 years. A lot of our elderly are suffering.

It's crazy, isn't it?!? A 62 year old took a job at my workplace (effectively ending her retirement) because of inflation and her landlord taking advantage of the economic climate to gouge more rent out of her.

PMEmail Poster
reelinginthebigone
Posted: Jun 15, 2022 - 06:39 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (FisherGirl4Life @ Jun 15, 2022 - 07:10 am)

It's crazy, isn't it?!? A 62 year old took a job at my workplace (effectively ending her retirement) because of inflation and her landlord taking advantage of the economic climate to gouge more rent out of her.

Nobody I know, including my parents, retired before 65+. That'd be a dream. I won't be able to retire before 65-70.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Jun 15, 2022 - 07:02 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10908

Retired or not we are all for the most part on fixed income.
Most peoples pay checks don't change and if you have a mortgage or rent it sure doesnít go down with inflation.

I like the boating with friends and sharing costs idea to help each other.

PMEmail Poster
Fozzy47
Posted: Jun 15, 2022 - 08:32 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 18006

With all prices rising daily, it making a lot if people think twice about taking extra trips.

EG:Monday to Wednesday (today) I was at the Bayfield Inlet. Left Mississauga Monday pulling a boat (16.5ft/60 H.P.) After my return I blew close to $350 on gas for the car and boat. Just on one trip.
I had originally said I wouldn't be changing any of my planning fishing trips but now I believe I'll cut back a trip or two.
Really, it is not a case you can't afford it, it's knowing you are getting ripped off by the oil companies, who are now reporting triple profits. Welcome to the ugly side of Capitolism.
These companies extract oil, refine it and sell it. Gas companies control it all. If you're a
stock- holder, you're laughing. I'm not, so I'm not....

I'm afraid if we continue on this inflation/recession pathway, (rapidly increasing prices & mortgages rates) we may think back fondly at this date in time. Everything seem out of control. I really feel sorry for pensioners without company pensions or other assistances. Really tough for them.
What downer over-all.

Maybe Crappeeeman maybe right...lots pf places to fish from shore..

Now vented...I feel better now.

Cheers,

PMEmail Poster
reelinginthebigone
Posted: Jun 15, 2022 - 08:46 pm

Trophy Trout

If a new couple purchased a home in Barrie for $800,000, was able to put $200k down, that'd leave them with a $600k mortgage which would be $2800 a month around 3%.

Add in $500-1000 for food, $600 for house taxes, $600 for car + insurance, +$500 for utilities and cell phone, ~$300 for gas if you don't commute to Toronto.. crap adds up.

You need about $5000 clear a month for that setup, which is about $60000 a year clear. That means a household would have to bring in a minimum of $100k a year just to make it by. There are more expenses than what I have listed, especially if you have pets or a kid. Not sure where a boat fits in there.

That's all dependent if they had the original $200k to put down first! Let's tell our kids to start saving now lol

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 > »»  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!