Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Salmon fishing something new for me., Tried and tried but not one interested.
longfish
Posted: Aug 05, 2018 - 08:12 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10648

QUOTE (dano1 @ Aug 05, 2018 - 01:27 pm)
speed is a very important factor, I generally troll 2.8 to 3.2 mph, cover more water , reaction strikes and believe me, they can easily catch that spoon. Good luck

Thx Dano....need all the luck I can get.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
longfish
Posted: Aug 05, 2018 - 08:15 pm

Trophy Trout

Thank you so much for everyones replies....I appreciate all your tips.

Someone also mentioned to me about using a meat rig....flies and flashers.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
longfish
Posted: Aug 05, 2018 - 08:21 pm

Trophy Trout

Todays screen shots.

Attached Image

PMEmail PosterYahoo
longfish
Posted: Aug 05, 2018 - 08:22 pm

Trophy Trout

Pic 2

Attached Image

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Seguin Fisher
Posted: Aug 06, 2018 - 07:13 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 9952

Looks to me like you might have the sensitivity turned way up, and itís marking pretty much everything in the water column. Iíve never seen ďsalmonĒ that thick anywhere on the bay before. Usually itís just a couple hooks on the screen here and there, and quite often when I do see one it will hit. But itís the bay, theyíre not as thick as Lake Ontario so you just gotta keep washing lures till you find one that wants to play. Iíve also found that both salmon and lakers will bite way better if theyíre not getting harassed constantly, so I try to get as far away from the crowds as I can. Most times when Iím trolling out there, I canít see another boat anywhere.

PMEmail Poster
12footspringbok
Posted: Aug 06, 2018 - 03:02 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 245

Seguin fisher has some solid advice about what you're seeing on the finder nothing there looks like salmon to me, and again turn off the fish ID.

I know a salmon when I see one on the finder usually 1 or 2 active moving hooks coming in for a sniff... Took some pictures this morning seconds before fish hit.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
12footspringbok
Posted: Aug 06, 2018 - 03:05 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 245

Pic

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Aug 06, 2018 - 04:15 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

I can reiterate what Sequin Fisherman and 12 footspringbok have said.

I NEVER use fish ID mode on the finder.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
Newburg007
Posted: Aug 06, 2018 - 06:24 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10129

Longfish: Here are a couple screen shots; a rising fish and some bait fish with a trout below (next).

Just a suggestion..... that could also help. Some of the overlay information could be resized and/or eliminated. The date and position (lat/long) displayed could be eliminated and thus free up some sonar screen. If you resized the other information may also give you more screen history. For example, the depth could remain large allowing you to read it from the back of the boat when setting you downriggers(?). The speed, a little smaller. And the volt and time display, could be the size of you time is now. Or any other formatting that suits your "fancy". Again, just a suggestion to help.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Newburg007
Posted: Aug 06, 2018 - 06:25 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10129

Bait cloud and predator.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 08:43 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 15869

If there are lots of boats in your area try hanging out at the launch and ask people what depth they are catching salmon at. People are usually friendly if they have caught a bunch of fish. Thereís nothing like first hand info and fishermen are good people. Tight lines.

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 09:09 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (Seguin Fisher @ Aug 06, 2018 - 07:13 am)
Looks to me like you might have the sensitivity turned way up, and itís marking pretty much everything in the water column. Iíve never seen ďsalmonĒ that thick anywhere on the bay before. Usually itís just a couple hooks on the screen here and there, and quite often when I do see one it will hit. But itís the bay, theyíre not as thick as Lake Ontario so you just gotta keep washing lures till you find one that wants to play. Iíve also found that both salmon and lakers will bite way better if theyíre not getting harassed constantly, so I try to get as far away from the crowds as I can. Most times when Iím trolling out there, I canít see another boat anywhere.

Thanks Seguin Fisher.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
longfish
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 09:13 pm

Trophy Trout

Thank you everyone you have certainly given me many things to think about.....that is the power of this community....you guys are awesome.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
oogie8
Posted: Aug 08, 2018 - 07:08 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8485

Most of my rigging has been on lake ontario, but when i do fish the bay ive always found i need to use lighter line, smaller swivels and longer leads off the ball, just all around more stealthy, earlier am and later pm as well

PMEmail Poster
oogie8
Posted: Aug 08, 2018 - 07:10 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8485

Ive had good success with transparent 20 jets run off the ball

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!

Marketplace