» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Salmon fishing something new for me., Tried and tried but not one interested.
Hot sauce
Posted: Aug 08, 2018 - 08:15 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 11851

Get those lures moving and dancing around.
The fish are curious and if several fish come sniff and look at them one will hit!
Speed burst up to 3.5 mph is the sweet spot for me! But it all depends of the water currents. I keep my rigger lines at a 45° angle.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Newburg007
Posted: Aug 08, 2018 - 08:47 am

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10129

QUOTE (Fishnhunt @ Aug 07, 2018 - 08:43 pm)
If there are lots of boats in your area try hanging out at the launch and ask people what depth they are catching salmon at. People are usually friendly if they have caught a bunch of fish. There’s nothing like first hand info and fishermen are good people. Tight lines.

x2. One of the first lesson learned when we started rigging was to never rush on or off the water. It's amazing the "intel" you can gather from a short conversation with others at the launch, and thereby often saving time by not covering unproductive water and techniques/presentations. Sharing is encourages good karma for sure!

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Aug 08, 2018 - 09:34 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

QUOTE (Hot sauce @ Aug 08, 2018 - 08:15 am)
Speed burst up to 3.5 mph is the sweet spot for me!

Good advice here. Also don't always troll in a straight line--zig zag, this raises and lowers lures and increases and decreases lure speed. Often, this will trigger a strike.

Just keep trying different things and experimenting.

I've downrigger fished for 20 years and I usually do pretty well, based on the knowledge I have gained over that time frame.

This year is an exception, and I have not had much luck. I just keep going out and, yes, I usually start out doing what has worked in the past, but if no action, then I try different lures, flashers, flies, meat, plugs etc, to see if I can figure out what the fish want on any given day.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Aug 08, 2018 - 02:06 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10648

QUOTE (sdcaller @ Aug 08, 2018 - 09:34 am)
QUOTE (Hot sauce @ Aug 08, 2018 - 08:15 am)
Speed burst up to 3.5 mph is the sweet spot for me!

Good advice here. Also don't always troll in a straight line--zig zag, this raises and lowers lures and increases and decreases lure speed. Often, this will trigger a strike.

Just keep trying different things and experimenting.

I've downrigger fished for 20 years and I usually do pretty well, based on the knowledge I have gained over that time frame.

This year is an exception, and I have not had much luck. I just keep going out and, yes, I usually start out doing what has worked in the past, but if no action, then I try different lures, flashers, flies, meat, plugs etc, to see if I can figure out what the fish want on any given day.

SDC

Thanks Ralph.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
steelheader
Posted: Aug 08, 2018 - 02:36 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 315

PM sent

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Aug 14, 2018 - 07:25 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

ok, just read this all...

So, many have already mentioned key points, so apologies if I mention same things again.

1....Never/Ever use fish ID, did I say Never!

2. … your screen shot I difficult to read, meaning what I see are fish, but not active or moving fish, not one

3......speed up....2,4 to 2.9 takes most salmon

4....switch baits and fish higher than the marks, as stated, a salmon can rocket up 40 feet in seconds

5.....talk with others.

6. direction.....learn or figure out the direction of the current, yep, there is current and trolling with it will most likely not produce fish

again , sorry for any repetitive stuff, but these are the very basics for salmon fishing. keep at it and good luck

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
longfish
Posted: Aug 16, 2018 - 06:54 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10648

QUOTE (Longshank @ Aug 14, 2018 - 07:25 pm)
ok, just read this all...

So, many have already mentioned key points, so apologies if I mention same things again.

1....Never/Ever use fish ID, did I say Never!

2. … your screen shot I difficult to read, meaning what I see are fish, but not active or moving fish, not one

3......speed up....2,4 to 2.9 takes most salmon

4....switch baits and fish higher than the marks, as stated, a salmon can rocket up 40 feet in seconds

5.....talk with others.

6. direction.....learn or figure out the direction of the current, yep, there is current and trolling with it will most likely not produce fish

again , sorry for any repetitive stuff, but these are the very basics for salmon fishing. keep at it and good luck

Thanks Shank....your words on Salmon are law around here...this grasshopper when it comes to salmon can't possibly have better help to get over the rookie syndrome then all you guys.....Thank you.

PMEmail PosterYahoo

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!

Marketplace