Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> New to down riggers, Trolling but not catching
Phil
Posted: Aug 15, 2018 - 07:53 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 9891

Iíve been out 3 times this week - 1 evening and twice early morning (fishing by 6 am). North of Meaford by the trailer park.

Iím fishing in 60 to 100 feet, same area I see other boats.
Cannonball set 10 feet off the bottom. Using spoons I bought from an Owen Sound tackle shop, recommended for here. Lure clipped on 40í behind the ball.

Trolling around 2.5 mph

So far no fish. Am I doing something really wrong?

3 maybe strikes, as the lure popped off the clip.

Also, could use some help interpreting what Iím seeing on the fish finder.
What do these screen shots tell you?

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Phil
Posted: Aug 15, 2018 - 07:54 am

Egg

Second screen shot. Baitfish?

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Aug 15, 2018 - 08:43 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

You don't seem to be doing anything wrong. I've been trolling with downriggers for years and always enjoyed considerable success, but this year I couldn't hook a fish to save my soul!

On the screen, it looks like bait close to bottom.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
don1
Posted: Aug 15, 2018 - 11:12 am

Egg

Member No.: 9821

Try putting ball at 85 ft down and try your speed at around 2.8 mph that works for me been successful so far try zig and zag when trolling 2

PMEmail Poster
Phil
Posted: Aug 15, 2018 - 04:07 pm

Egg

Thx. In how many feet of water?

Question: when you describe the depth your ball is at, is that simply how many feet of wire youíve let out, not accounting for the angle it is hanging at while trolling?

That is, if I want the ball 10í off the bottom, should I be letting out a little extra?

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Aug 15, 2018 - 04:39 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

QUOTE (Phil @ Aug 15, 2018 - 04:07 pm)
Thx. In how many feet of water?

Question: when you describe the depth your ball is at, is that simply how many feet of wire youíve let out, not accounting for the angle it is hanging at while trolling?

That is, if I want the ball 10í off the bottom, should I be letting out a little extra?

#1 Go deeper, much deeper, 150+.
#2 Yes
#3 Yes
In 100 feet of water you can probably let out another 5-7 feet and still be safe.

PM
rolly608
Posted: Aug 15, 2018 - 10:05 pm

Fry

Member No.: 634

Fished Meaford last night. went 2 for 5. Lost a big laker at the boat and salmon was almost 14lbs. We fished 70-100 ft of water, down 65 - 90 on the cannonball. (not the actual depth but what the counter on rigger said). Cruised at 2.8-3.5 mph from the pier in Meaford to the corner by the campground you are talking about. (Fairview) Lakers were hooked on spoons while salmon were caught on Lymans. Keep working at it...you will figure it out

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!

Marketplace