Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Rod Holders & Dipsy Divers
mydogbites
Posted: Aug 21, 2018 - 07:49 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 414

Since I am new at downriggers and salmon fishing I would like some opinions on Scotty rod holders and using dipsies.

I own a 1650 Lund Rebel and have two slider Lund sportrack brackets attached on the rail that I use as a rod holder.
Question One. Are Scotty rod holders strong enough to hold a rod while trolling a Dipsy?
Question two. How do you hook on a Dipsy, tie it directly to line, use a snap swivel like I did, or? I have never used Dipsy Diver before so I'm hoping for some do's and don'ts with them. I have braid and I directly attached a snap swivel to the line to be able to hook on the Dipsy. Is this the correct way? or should I tie the dips directly?
I made up a couple of 6' cheater lines of floro with a snap swivel at each end to connect the dipsy and the spoon is this the correct way?
Looking forward to hearing from you that have expierience with dipsies. Thanks.

PMEmail Poster
porkpie
Posted: Aug 21, 2018 - 08:24 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4287

We talked about Scotties and dipsys in my boat the other day. Tekota.... Talora.... Bottom of Lake Ontario. Just glad it wasn't mine, but sure do feel for the friend that lost it. Scotty orcas maybe, but your standard Scotty may last quite a while and then bang gone. Your all good with the dipsys. Use the swivels, you want to be able to remove them. If you want to get stealthier you can run an 8-10 foot lead but you will have to hand bomb the fish the last few feet to the boat. Get Helga some gloves lol! 5-6 foot is an all around good length for leaders.

PMEmail Poster
Dinky
Posted: Aug 22, 2018 - 08:07 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 212

Yes Robert, the above answer is great......had some old Scotty's and they were failing me.
Just bought a new orca and it's great for trolling dipseys in lake O ......but I imagine over time will fail.
I know they are expensive but probably worth it......but the Berts tracks and holders look real slick.

A good beefy well made snap between the braid and dipsey.....then I direct tie the leader to the rear of the dipsey to a swivel for the lure of choice......in around 6-8 ft long. I wrap the leader around the dipsey when not using them and place into a zip lock bag to keep it all together.

Also keep a sharp eye out for a hit on the dipseys.......if using the Scotty's.......hate to have a king hit and take rod reel and dipsey to the bottom....lol.......just get on them quick if ya can...... I have had a few hits where the Scotty's have turned in their holders to the rear of the boat.

Good luck
Greg

PMEmail Poster
Dubya_TJ
Posted: Aug 22, 2018 - 08:56 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15991

I can't comment on the Scotty's, as I run Bert's track system with the 2-axis Cannon rod holders. The Bert's track simple and strong. The Cannon rod holders are beefy and great for all sorts of applications; dipsy, lead, planer boards, surface, etc.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Aug 22, 2018 - 09:26 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

the only time I use/have the Scotties is on my walleye boat....they do the job, but I have had them turn if a big one hits, so that rules them out for any salmon fishing in my books.

lots of companies make great track systems with aluminum rod hoders...think this is what you should do/get

I still run my dipseys with a snubber as well, with a total lead length of 7-8 feet. I shorten them off if running a flasher/fly combo on the dipsey as I find it too complicated to land fish with a 10 foot leader......I am not that tall

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Nado
Posted: Aug 22, 2018 - 10:18 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 8095

I run the Scotty Rod master II on my kayak with a flush mount and I have never had an issue running #1 dipsies on it. I even leave the rod in the holder with the fish on while I pull in the other line and no issues with the 25lber I pulled in a few weeks back. Hopefully my luck doesn't suddenly change one day.

PMEmail Poster
Grandpa Jim
Posted: Aug 22, 2018 - 02:42 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5550

I use Big John aluminum holders with back plated 4 inch bases on my Bruckmann for dipsey use and use Down East holders on my small tinny. I've used the Big Jon's since the early 1980's and find these bulletproof. So far, no issues with the down easters when using both wire and braid dipseys.

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Aug 22, 2018 - 02:48 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 15901

for my dipseys I use an eight foot rod, line counter reel. I have a shock cord not sure of name, attached from dipseys to line. spoon is on a 5ft lead from there. Sure helps to have someone with you to land the fish as it can get hard with one person.

PMEmail Poster
mydogbites
Posted: Aug 24, 2018 - 09:55 am

World Record Trout

Thank you for the replies. You all have given me lots to think about. Hopefully I can get out and use them. I'm a bit sceptical now on the rod holders but it's all I have for now. I think I may tether the rods to the boat. Maybe next year I need to re configure the whole downrigger set up. My I want list is way to long

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
DOS
Posted: Aug 24, 2018 - 10:40 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 2926

Your set up is fine. Scotties are plenty strong and how you have it set there, even if your holder turns, the rod will not come out. If you are at all concerned, when you get the dipsy set, turn the drag down until the line is just barely clicking out(pulling drag). then tighten 1/8 turn. When a fish hits, it will pull drag and not put any extra strain on the holder. Grab rod, tighten drag, set hook and hold on, LOL

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Aug 24, 2018 - 12:04 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

In 22 years of downrigging I can say Scotties have held up well, I replaced 2 of the original ones with the power lock style. The old ones were getting a tiny bit loose.

PM
Stingray
Posted: Aug 28, 2018 - 12:18 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 4721

Agree with the Scotty comments above. I would not trust the Lund mount for the combination of dipsy and a good size fish hitting it. I have the Lund 1625 and use a mix of those mounts and Cisco for the heavy stuff. I've read about a couple of guys losing their gear with the Lund mount.
Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss.

PMEmail Poster
mydogbites
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 09:15 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Stingray @ Aug 28, 2018 - 12:18 pm)
Agree with the Scotty comments above. I would not trust the Lund mount for the combination of dipsy and a good size fish hitting it.  I have the Lund 1625 and use a mix of those mounts and Cisco for the heavy stuff. I've read about a couple of guys losing their gear with the Lund mount.
Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss.

I would like to know more about the cisco mounts for the 42 degree sport trac. Unfortunately you are not authorized to use PM as of yet since you do not have enough post. Is there an alternate option I can reach you at?

PMEmail Poster
centerspin
Posted: Sep 04, 2018 - 11:46 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 347

Double axis ratchet cannon or berts holder is the best thing for a dipsy. You can instantly adjust an angle to the water and the horisontal angle for a quick setup and also to avoid possible rubbing with other lines. When the fish hits its easy to set the holder up pressing on the ratchet and get the rod out of holder without leaning almost out of the boat like with a fixed holder. And finally but most important it wont snap on a violent hit at the thinnest part. Thers tons of pressure with an untripped size 1 dipsy and even more with a wire dipsy put on the holder. Hope it helps.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Sep 05, 2018 - 08:51 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10908

I have old school Scotty rod holders and have never had them fail. How much drag are you guys running that have had them fail? Those Scottys are as tough as nails and take way more pressure than a drag system can produce unless you have your drag locked to stop.

I set my drag to have the fish hook itself but the fish rips drag when it hits.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!

Marketplace