» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search

Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Milking Salmon
TeamColdfront
Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 09:26 am

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 18029

Ive been catches this things all fall for a few years now and every time I need eggs ill cut them open and scrape the eggs off the skein, ive seen some guys squeeze their belly to get them out, I tried but nothing was coming out no matter how hard I pressed. How do I go about doing it, I dont mind scraping off the skein but then I cant river harden them because I scrape off at home with no access to the river water, any thoughts?

PMEmail Poster
Jesse
Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 09:37 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 16608

They need to b spitting eggs for you to b able to squeeze them out.if the eggs are still attached to the skien the salmon is still too fresh.if you do get a spitter its important to river cure the eggs as soon as you squeeze them out. i bring a strainer and dip the eggs in the river for a minute or 2 then strait to ziplocks and in the freezer

PMEmail Poster
Jesse
Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 09:39 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 16608

Youll know when you get a spitter as soon as you pull her outta the water she'll be dropping eggs

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 10:04 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

It's a ducking shame what I'm seeing this year on the river banks..one spot had 11 salmon on the bank with all the eggs squeezed and cut out, some still alive..
What are people thinking..
not the first time I've seen a salmon on the bank, but 11..
A friend that fished salmon told me he takes some from the fish he catches and then releases the fish..
Think about the future...

PMEmail Poster
TeamColdfront
Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 10:59 am

Parr Trout

I’ve sots lots on the bank too, I only keep 1 or two a season but I smoke and eat them so atleast they don’t go to waste.

PMEmail Poster
tbolduc
Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 04:58 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 7955

I've never actually seen anyone do it, but it is a shame to see salmon cut open for the eggs and wasted. Definitely a call to the MNR if I ever see it as it's totally illegal

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Oct 15, 2020 - 09:56 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10908

A friend that fished salmon told me he takes some from the fish he catches and then releases the fish..

Much better to harvest one fish and take all the eggs you need for the season or several seasons. Squeezing some eggs from a fish stresses them so much they often do not spawn the rest of the eggs left over and either just die from stress hours or a day later or they dump the rest of their roe and die. Just harvest one fish and get it over with. One fish out of the system is reasonable harassing several to get a bit of roe from each is not a good policy at all.

PMEmail Poster
Andy14
Posted: Oct 15, 2020 - 10:52 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7784

I'm not exactly sure about what part of the harvesting of roe is illegal....
I know these fall salmon die after spawn.
Is leaving the carcass the illegal part? I know the roe harvest is not.

PMEmail Poster
TeamColdfront
Posted: Oct 15, 2020 - 11:00 am

Parr Trout

" Roe harvesting is 100% legal within Ontario. You may harvest the roe of any fish within the guidelines.

The exceptions are as follows:

1. Species is listed as endangered or Invasive

2. Species is “Out of Season” (time and location) or labelled NON -CATCH

3. Licence and Zone Limits

“MILKING” is 100% legal within Ontario of Any Species as long as it does not break the above listed exceptions. The IMPROPER APPLICATION of Milking a fish can lead to its death. You MUST release a fish in HEALTHY CONDITION as per the regulations. "

Thats what it said on the ontario fisheries page. The illegal part was the leaving the carcass on the bank

PMEmail Poster
spooner
Posted: Oct 15, 2020 - 11:17 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 778

As you said, you squeezed as hard as you could and nothing came out. You think that fish lived after you squeezed the crap out it?? The stuff I see on the rivers these days is just disgusting. Disco said it right, harvest one fish and you have roe. The gutting and throwing just brutal out there. These so called anglers even gut males they don't know the difference. Get a clue!

PMEmail Poster
TeamColdfront
Posted: Oct 15, 2020 - 11:47 am

Parr Trout

QUOTE (spooner @ Oct 15, 2020 - 11:17 am)
As you said, you squeezed as hard as you could and nothing came out. You think that fish lived after you squeezed the crap out it?? The stuff I see on the rivers these days is just disgusting. Disco said it right, harvest one fish and you have roe. The gutting and throwing just brutal out there. These so called anglers even gut males they don't know the difference. Get a clue!

Totally agree Ive seen guys open up males and be suprises theres not eggs in em. I did actually keep the salmon I squeezed as my 1 for the year. I only tried it too see if it'd work, no harm done form me. lol

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Oct 15, 2020 - 12:21 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Disco @ Oct 15, 2020 - 09:56 am)

Much better to harvest one fish and take all the eggs you need for the season or several seasons. Squeezing some eggs from a fish stresses them so much they often do not spawn the rest of the eggs left over and either just die from stress hours or a day later or they dump the rest of their roe and die. Just harvest one fish and get it over with. One fish out of the system is reasonable harassing several to get a bit of roe from each is not a good policy at all.

Just clarified with my buddy..I never said he squeezed them out..
He never squeezes them to force eggs out, he said the eggs he collects are salmon that are dropping their eggs without any help..He always releases them so the only stress is stress from being caught..

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Oct 15, 2020 - 12:29 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (TeamColdfront @ Oct 15, 2020 - 11:47 am)
QUOTE (spooner @ Oct 15, 2020 - 11:17 am)

Totally agree Ive seen guys open up males and be suprises theres not eggs in em. I did actually keep the salmon I squeezed as my 1 for the year. I only tried it too see if it'd work, no harm done form me. lol

Not hard to tell the male's when there jizz is shooting out..

PMEmail Poster
Andy14
Posted: Oct 15, 2020 - 01:33 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7784

QUOTE (TeamColdfront @ Oct 15, 2020 - 11:00 am)
" Roe harvesting is 100% legal within Ontario. You may harvest the roe of any fish within the guidelines.

The exceptions are as follows:

1. Species is listed as endangered or Invasive

2. Species is “Out of Season” (time and location) or labelled NON -CATCH

3. Licence and Zone Limits

“MILKING” is 100% legal within Ontario of Any Species as long as it does not break the above listed exceptions. The IMPROPER APPLICATION of Milking a fish can lead to its death. You MUST release a fish in HEALTHY CONDITION as per the regulations. "

Thats what it said on the ontario fisheries page. The illegal part was the leaving the carcass on the bank

Thanks man!
I was being a little lazy to look up and read as well as knowing someone on a fishing forum would have the answer.

PMEmail Poster
VBB
Posted: Oct 15, 2020 - 01:43 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 9650

I stopped river fishing for salmon a while back. I think last time I went was when I needed roe for trout and that was 4 years ago. Still got enough for quite a few roe bags and it still works old as it may be and that's from one fish.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Great Lakes
Fishing forum for the Great Lakes & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in the Great Lakes!