Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Wabakimi ice fishing
Species8472
Posted: Nov 13, 2020 - 02:12 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 16923

Anyone ever done it? Planning a 7 day trip by snowmobile. Interested in feedback on tackle/bait/techniques. Mostly targeting Walleye in mid March.

PMEmail Poster
newf-dog
Posted: Nov 14, 2020 - 06:08 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 9526

QUOTE (Species8472 @ Nov 13, 2020 - 02:12 pm)
Anyone ever done it? Planning a 7 day trip by snowmobile. Interested in feedback on tackle/bait/techniques. Mostly targeting Walleye in mid March.

Nope but I'm loaded with interest on how you plan on doing that. By march the ice should be 4ft thick. I've ice fished the NW for many years but not Wabakimi. What lake are you thinking of hitting? It sounds like a trip of a life time if you do it. Keep us posted.

PMEmail Poster
Species8472
Posted: Nov 14, 2020 - 08:03 pm

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (newf-dog @ Nov 14, 2020 - 06:08 pm)
Anyone ever done it?  Planning a 7 day trip by snowmobile.  Interested in feedback on tackle/bait/techniques.  Mostly targeting Walleye in mid March.

Nope but I'm loaded with interest on how you plan on doing that. By march the ice should be 4ft thick. I've ice fished the NW for many years but not Wabakimi. What lake are you thinking of hitting? It sounds like a trip of a life time if you do it. Keep us posted.

Actually hiring the guy that runs the Barrington Lake Camp as a guide for the week (factoring in travel trip will actually be 10 or 11 days). We will be staying a few nights at his outpost but also in popups further out and plan to hit a number of lakes in that area both by sled and snowshoe. Both our sleds (mine and the wife's) are both rigged for bush/ice travel as well. Skins, plates, winches, scratchers, studded tracks, wide long tracks etc... Each sled also has a Pelican 82 covered toboggan for gear so we can take quite a bit - no sense roughing it too harshly.

As for ice thickness my auger with a 12 inch extension usually does the trick. Guide will also have his auger which as it's his backyard presumably it will do the trick.

PMEmail Poster
newf-dog
Posted: Nov 14, 2020 - 09:42 pm

Parr Trout

QUOTE (Species8472 @ Nov 14, 2020 - 08:03 pm)
Anyone ever done it?† Planning a 7 day trip by snowmobile.† Interested in feedback on tackle/bait/techniques.† Mostly targeting Walleye in mid March.

Actually hiring the guy that runs the Barrington Lake Camp as a guide for the week (factoring in travel trip will actually be 10 or 11 days). We will be staying a few nights at his outpost but also in popups further out and plan to hit a number of lakes in that area both by sled and snowshoe. Both our sleds (mine and the wife's) are both rigged for bush/ice travel as well. Skins, plates, winches, scratchers, studded tracks, wide long tracks etc... Each sled also has a Pelican 82 covered toboggan for gear so we can take quite a bit - no sense roughing it too harshly.

As for ice thickness my auger with a 12 inch extension usually does the trick. Guide will also have his auger which as it's his backyard presumably it will do the trick.

I personally think your getting into an underrated gold mine. Hopefully you can make a youtube video about it. You have a guide so you wont need much of my advice. You sound well prepared for slush. You will have basically an area the size of lake simcoe to yourself with your wife and a guide.. I'd love to do something like that. I dont think you need advice, I just think your bragging about where your going j/k. Anyways I'm very happy you did because I didnt know this experience existed. I have fished Quetico in the winter, as well as Browns Clearwater. I have fished north of Ignace many years ago but what your doing is new to me. I'm excited for you.

If I could suggest a couple things would be check google earth for mid lake shoals/sunken islands etc. Then grab the coordinates for a GPS handheld device. One caution I would have is not being to close to the shoal. I'd hate for ruin auger blades on a trip like that.

Hit the bigger lakes, I've had wicked small walleye lakes in the summer then winter comes and the small lakes shut down. I'm not a biologist so I have no idea why that happens in the northwest.

Good luck I'm sure you will have an adventure of a life time.

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Nov 14, 2020 - 11:31 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

Sounds like one hell of a trip.....we want pics and vid......enjoy.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Species8472
Posted: Nov 15, 2020 - 12:37 am

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (newf-dog @ Nov 14, 2020 - 09:42 pm)
QUOTE (Species8472 @ Nov 14, 2020 - 08:03 pm)
Anyone ever done it?† Planning a 7 day trip by snowmobile.† Interested in feedback on tackle/bait/techniques.† Mostly targeting Walleye in mid March.

I personally think your getting into an underrated gold mine. Hopefully you can make a youtube video about it. You have a guide so you wont need much of my advice. You sound well prepared for slush. You will have basically an area the size of lake simcoe to yourself with your wife and a guide.. I'd love to do something like that. I dont think you need advice, I just think your bragging about where your going j/k. Anyways I'm very happy you did because I didnt know this experience existed. I have fished Quetico in the winter, as well as Browns Clearwater. I have fished north of Ignace many years ago but what your doing is new to me. I'm excited for you.

If I could suggest a couple things would be check google earth for mid lake shoals/sunken islands etc. Then grab the coordinates for a GPS handheld device. One caution I would have is not being to close to the shoal. I'd hate for ruin auger blades on a trip like that.

Hit the bigger lakes, I've had wicked small walleye lakes in the summer then winter comes and the small lakes shut down. I'm not a biologist so I have no idea why that happens in the northwest.

Good luck I'm sure you will have an adventure of a life time.

I've fished Quetico in the summer several times and always did well. Are you permitted to run sleds in the park during the winter? or is it snowshoe/x-country ski only? On my list of places to hit at some point on the hardwater.

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Nov 15, 2020 - 07:11 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 8190

"I personally think your getting into an underrated gold mine. Hopefully you can make a youtube video about it."

Here's how NOT to keep it an underrated goldmine.

PMEmail Poster
newf-dog
Posted: Nov 15, 2020 - 07:30 am

Parr Trout

QUOTE (Drew @ Nov 15, 2020 - 07:11 am)
"I personally think your getting into an underrated gold mine. Hopefully you can make a youtube video about it."

Nothing wrong with that Drew. Google where hes going, it's not for the faint of heart. I'm sure the guide could also use the extra buisness with the americans being gone this summer. Not sure what your upset about but I wish him the best.

PMEmail Poster
newf-dog
Posted: Nov 15, 2020 - 08:05 am

Parr Trout

QUOTE (Species8472 @ Nov 15, 2020 - 12:37 am)
[/QUOTE]
I've fished Quetico in the summer several times and always did well. Are you permitted to run sleds in the park during the winter? or is it snowshoe/x-country ski only? On my list of places to hit at some point on the hardwater.

We used to stay at the yurts in Quetico but I dont believe they are there anymore. I think they are replaced by cabins now. Quetico is awesome in the winter. Lakers pike and eyes out of the same hole.

Sorry no sleds in the park but you can sled up to the boundary and snowshoe or ski from there. No live bait either but it doesnt matter, didnt slow the fish down for us.

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Nov 16, 2020 - 02:53 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 8190

QUOTE (newf-dog @ Nov 15, 2020 - 07:30 am)
QUOTE (Drew @ Nov 15, 2020 - 07:11 am)

Nothing wrong with that Drew. Google where hes going, it's not for the faint of heart. I'm sure the guide could also use the extra buisness with the americans being gone this summer. Not sure what your upset about but I wish him the best.

I didn't know I was upset.🤷‍♂️

It's just a weird train of thought to me.... hey, here's an untouched gem...first thing we should do is tell everyone about it.

I think it sounds like an awesome adventure.

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Nov 18, 2020 - 12:28 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 15869

Iíve read about different open water trips there and the fishing sounds awesome. Good numbers and variety of fish . I think it was an Ontario Outdoors article. Always wanted to try that with canoe and portage but itís a long drive.

PMEmail Poster
plott hound
Posted: Nov 18, 2020 - 05:36 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12333

i just watched a youtube video of a guy and his wife doing a 9 day canoe trip in that park.looked fantastic but you better be in super shape to do it.it sure aint algonquin park.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!