Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Tackle / Bait Help
Riggersdown
Posted: Nov 26, 2018 - 03:07 pm

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 16198

Hey there

I was up ice fishing a few years back. We rented a hut but unfortunately the guy (Matt Tucker) whom we rented our huts from sadly passed away.

We have decided to come back up this year for a couple of weekends. We are renting huts from Chilly Willys.

In the past I have just jigged with minnows.

Can some people please elaborate on what to all use while fishing up here through the ice. I feel there is a lot more and maybe better options then just minnows.

I do a ton of fishing down in GBay for Salmon and Rainbow but not a lot of ice fishing for Walleye and Perch.

Any help or suggestions be great!!!!

Thanks a lot

Tight Lines and Happy Fishing!!!

PMEmail Poster
modsqad
Posted: Nov 26, 2018 - 07:20 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 2778

Nothing beats a simple treble hook with a couple of split shots (sitting still) but if you want to keep busy I personally love a jigging rap with a small chunk of minnow on the bottom treble. Colours and sizes can vary but I usually start with a clown pattern and fine tune for there. Song be afraid to smack the bottom with it. Good luck.

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Nov 27, 2018 - 01:13 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6034

Personally I like something that makes a bit of noise to draw them in. A small Northland Buckshot spoon or a Lindy Rattlin' Flyer are two good ones. Tip with a small minnow or minnow head if they're picky.

PMEmail Poster
sterrr
Posted: Nov 27, 2018 - 08:05 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 8641

My two best producing lures last year were the jigging rap and the glow shot. I found they worked best with just half a minnow on each.

PMEmail Poster
kokemachine
Posted: Nov 27, 2018 - 08:39 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4328

Since you are allowed 2 lines have one set up as a dead stick and actively jig with the other. I always start with a rattle bait and if they aren't buying that try non noisey lure like a spoon or grub. Tipping with fresh or salted minnows never hurts.

PMEmail Poster
modsqad
Posted: Nov 28, 2018 - 10:20 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 2778

and if all else fails ask Kokemachine to PIMP some lures for you!

PMEmail Poster
ClamFishing123
Posted: Nov 29, 2018 - 09:34 am

Fry

Member No.: 12519

QUOTE (kokemachine @ Nov 27, 2018 - 08:39 am)
Since you are allowed 2 lines have one set up as a dead stick and actively jig with the other. I always start with a rattle bait and if they aren't buying that try non noisey lure like a spoon or grub. Tipping with fresh or salted minnows never hurts.

Full agree with Kokemachine - I've never had a ton of luck with noisy baits but have had a lot of success up that way whether it's perch, pike or walleye on one of these tipped with a minnow head.

Necessary to run two lines as well - never hurts to increase your chances of catching fish

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Nov 29, 2018 - 10:54 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

QUOTE (sterrr @ Nov 27, 2018 - 10:05 am)
My two best producing lures last year were the jigging rap and the glow shot. I found they worked best with just half a minnow on each.

X2 on the Glow Shots, produced well for us last year.

PMEmail Poster
Antique Fisherman
Posted: Nov 29, 2018 - 12:28 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7133

I'm the type of fisherman that has more stuff than a man could use in two life times, just like shinny colourful trinkets

I fish regularly with a couple of guys that only use a split shot and a hook with a minnow attached. And they usually out fish me

Something wrong with this picture right?

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Nov 29, 2018 - 04:28 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4441

I don't buy lures anymore, live bait can't be beat.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 01:07 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (ClamFishing123 @ Nov 29, 2018 - 09:34 am)
Since you are allowed 2 lines have one set up as a dead stick and actively jig with the other.  I always start with a rattle bait and if they aren't buying that try non noisey lure like a spoon or grub.  Tipping with fresh or salted minnows never hurts.

Full agree with Kokemachine - I've never had a ton of luck with noisy baits but have had a lot of success up that way whether it's perch, pike or walleye on one of these tipped with a minnow head.

Necessary to run two lines as well - never hurts to increase your chances of catching fish

That lure there got me a 26 and 28 last winter.....not exactly same pattern, but very close.....

Getting me some more

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
FatRap
Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 01:35 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

QUOTE (Longshank @ Dec 07, 2018 - 03:07 pm)
QUOTE (ClamFishing123 @ Nov 29, 2018 - 09:34 am)

That lure there got me a 26 and 28 last winter.....not exactly same pattern, but very close.....

Getting me some more

I have a couple of these in my arsenal, never had much luck on them but never really spent a lot of time fishing with them either......might have to give them another go this year.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace