» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Fishing with my good friend for tanks, aka Brookies !!!!
Longshank
Posted: Jun 06, 2018 - 07:34 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 118

QUOTE (sparky302 @ Jun 05, 2018 - 11:32 am)
QUOTE (Chuck Enwinde @ Jun 05, 2018 - 04:27 am)
QUOTE (sparky302 @ Jun 01, 2018 - 05:53 am)
QUOTE (Chuck Enwinde @ Jun 01, 2018 - 01:59 am)
Nice going sparky, looks like the scale was handy, did you get a weight on the big ones?  Worms on bottom?   BTW cooler bag for the drinks might need a rinse 

For a minute there i thought you were in the boat

Just name the time and place and I could arrange that.

And Longshank, not sure how long sparky has had the fish hawk, but in speaking to him I know he considers down temp an integral piece of information. I'd say the results speak for themselves. I have one on my shopping list now lol. Looks a lot more convenient than the old Vexilar Deptherm.

As for the fishhawk temp probe i don't own it my friend does i use the cheaper method when he is not around.I went to dollar store and bought a thermometer and i use a line counter reel with a weight on it to take it down leave it down for awhile then reel it up fast and read the temp.This method i use when i can't find the fish i find the 54 F water and fish just above it and it produces fish most of the times just need to sit and fish for a bit on our last trip we kept moving from spot to spot 1.5 hours apart looking for the fish taking the temp readings.

Thanks guys. guess the point is temperature matters

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Jun 08, 2018 - 12:33 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6034

QUOTE (Longshank @ Jun 06, 2018 - 08:34 pm)
QUOTE (sparky302 @ Jun 05, 2018 - 11:32 am)
QUOTE (Chuck Enwinde @ Jun 05, 2018 - 04:27 am)
QUOTE (sparky302 @ Jun 01, 2018 - 05:53 am)
QUOTE (Chuck Enwinde @ Jun 01, 2018 - 01:59 am)
Nice going sparky, looks like the scale was handy, did you get a weight on the big ones?  Worms on bottom?   BTW cooler bag for the drinks might need a rinse 

For a minute there i thought you were in the boat

Just name the time and place and I could arrange that.

And Longshank, not sure how long sparky has had the fish hawk, but in speaking to him I know he considers down temp an integral piece of information. I'd say the results speak for themselves. I have one on my shopping list now lol. Looks a lot more convenient than the old Vexilar Deptherm.

As for the fishhawk temp probe i don't own it my friend does i use the cheaper method when he is not around.I went to dollar store and bought a thermometer and i use a line counter reel with a weight on it to take it down leave it down for awhile then reel it up fast and read the temp.This method i use when i can't find the fish i find the 54 F water and fish just above it and it produces fish most of the times just need to sit and fish for a bit on our last trip we kept moving from spot to spot 1.5 hours apart looking for the fish taking the temp readings.

Thanks guys. guess the point is temperature matters

A pretty strong opinion, written by Gord Ellis on the matter:

"Temperature tantrums
If you fish brook trout and don’t carry a thermometer, consider yourself handicapped. Taking the water temperature is the first thing you should do when arriving at a lake. A temperature reading provides a good idea of what to expect — or not to expect — when you get to the fishing part.

Brook trout are among the most temperature-sensitive fish in Ontario. They will turn on and off like a light switch, depending on which way the mercury is going. Brook trout are coldwater fish. They can be caught in water so frigid it will pain you to dip your hand into it. However, they’re not as tolerant of extremely cold water as you might think.

Water temperatures between 34°F and 41°F are the lower threshold of comfort for brook trout. Expect fish in ice water to be moving slowly and on the negative side."

Personally, I put a lot of stock in anything Gord has to say about brookies.

PMEmail Poster
sparky302
Posted: Jun 08, 2018 - 04:06 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4572

Chuck thats why i tell people temperature is critical if you can't find the brook trout you have to go find them !!!!!
And when you do look out !!!!

Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Jun 12, 2018 - 05:14 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6034

First trip with the fish hawk annnnnnd boom. First assist goes to Sparky.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
sparky302
Posted: Jun 12, 2018 - 06:46 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4572

Nice one Chuck !!!

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace