Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Gong Show at Collingwood This AM, Not us, Someone else
Tailfin
Posted: May 24, 2020 - 02:12 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 100

mephisto_lake, forward motion of the boat through the water pulls water out from the boat.
If you look down at the back of the boat when your going not to fast you will see a water cavity. We used to do that when there was rain water in the bottom. Get the boat going slowly with the nose up high hold it there and pull the plug, you can drain the boat dry, then put the plug back in. I have done it alone but it so much easier if there is two of you in the boat.

P.S. DON'T STOP until the plugs back in

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: May 24, 2020 - 03:05 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 15901

That one good thing about the pandemic, no one to help put boat in or out. Goes much easier if I do it myself.

I pull the plug every time when I m getting ready to head for home then back in before I leave for the water. been doing this ever since i owned a boat. The circle check before I launch. My last boat I did have a bad day though. I had traded the boat for the one I have now, but made the deal that I used the traded boat until new one came in. Put plug in like always, do my circle check at ramp with buddy. We are putting through town get about 1/2 mile down river and see water coming in over the floor at back. I hit the throttle and turn the boat back to ramp. Thinking I didn't feel like a hit anything in water and I know I put the plug in. Boat about standing on its end until some of the water leaves the boat, about half way back I get up on plane. no one in ramp as it real early, i put right in slow till it stops. back up load boat on trailer expecting a hole in boat. I put the plug in the intake hole for the livewell. Get that all fixed up re-launch boat to go fishing, it is real slow day. we about 4 miles down river and move to new spot, engine just stops, look back and engine on fire. Get fire extinguisher out fire out, get towed back to ramp. This all on a boat I don't own anymore. Now that was a bad day.

PMEmail Poster
centerspin
Posted: May 25, 2020 - 02:32 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 347

QUOTE (sabmgb @ May 24, 2020 - 03:05 pm)
That one good thing about the pandemic, no one to help put boat in or out. Goes much easier if I do it myself.

I pull the plug every time when I m getting ready to head for home then back in before I leave for the water. been doing this ever since i owned a boat. The circle check before I launch. My last boat I did have a bad day though. I had traded the boat for the one I have now, but made the deal that I used the traded boat until new one came in. Put plug in like always, do my circle check at ramp with buddy. We are putting through town get about 1/2 mile down river and see water coming in over the floor at back. I hit the throttle and turn the boat back to ramp. Thinking I didn't feel like a hit anything in water and I know I put the plug in. Boat about standing on its end until some of the water leaves the boat, about half way back I get up on plane. no one in ramp as it real early, i put right in slow till it stops. back up load boat on trailer expecting a hole in boat. I put the plug in the intake hole for the livewell. Get that all fixed up re-launch boat to go fishing, it is real slow day. we about 4 miles down river and move to new spot, engine just stops, look back and engine on fire. Get fire extinguisher out fire out, get towed back to ramp. This all on a boat I don't own anymore. Now that was a bad day.

Wow what a story, when it rains it pours.
That livewell hole thing, seen it done

PMEmail Poster
fisherman2280
Posted: May 25, 2020 - 04:04 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 16918

Pulling the plug and forgetting to put it back, I thought that was just a boaters initiation clause we all have to do once

PMEmail Poster
Kyfish
Posted: May 25, 2020 - 11:11 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 17115

Mephisto_lake, another factor could be boat material, weight, construction, etc... some boys can take on water without sinking, Boston whaler is the best example, and as mentioned earlier and open plug hole while on plane will drain.

Iíve had it happen to me, I always stand there and wait for the boat to drain myself but someone removed it after Iíd done it thinking I didnít. As a result I didnít know it had been removed and forgot to check. Luckily I keep a spare plug in the boat so I booted to the closest shallow water and put it in then took it back home to drain.

This post has been edited by Kyfish on May 25, 2020 - 11:19 pm

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!