» Fishing Forum
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> River snaggers - who to call?!?!
Archiero
Posted: Oct 11, 2019 - 06:51 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3492

So got a call from a buddy (and former student) of mine tonight who was on a lake O trib fly fishing. As he was walking back to his car at dusk he saw 2 guys walk into the river with nets and no rods. He followed them and saw them scooping up salmon in the shallows, so he called the MNR tip line and was told there was someone in the area and they would be there. He continued to watch them for 15 mins until they realized he was there so he went to his car to wait for them to walk back to their car so he could get pics of license plates. After another 30 mins MNR hadn’t shown up so he called crime stoppers. They asked if the guys were currently in the river and that he should call the non emergency police line (311). So he called them and the woman asked if there were any “no fishing” signs posted. He said no and so she said there is nothing they can do because nothing is illegal. He said “are you crazy, there are 2 guys after dark in the river with nets and no fishing gear scooping salmon right now”. She said unless it is posted no fishing she can’t send any officers out. Wtf?!??
My buddy is so p##### and since it was so dark he was worried about safety so decided to leave.

Just thought i’d pass this on to see if he should have done anything different?

Thanks guys,
Rob

PMEmail Poster
ScoobyDube
Posted: Oct 12, 2019 - 06:07 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 12416

You should let us know the trib, I’m sure a few of us who would be more than happy to take a walk at night. Getting chased out in the dark maybe a good deterrent for them, I’m all for following the law. But grew up in a very small town, where sometimes it was up to the locals to take things into their own hands.
Tell your buddy to take video next time, that maybe enough to charge them after the fact.
Better yet, when you call the cops mention you thought you saw a gun on his hip while he was netting fish, you bet your as$ the calvary would be there in record time. Lmao

PMEmail Poster
GrandRiverWill
Posted: Oct 15, 2019 - 09:52 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 12632

QUOTE (Archiero @ Oct 11, 2019 - 07:51 pm)
So got a call from a buddy (and former student) of mine tonight who was on a lake O trib fly fishing. As he was walking back to his car at dusk he saw 2 guys walk into the river with nets and no rods. He followed them and saw them scooping up salmon in the shallows, so he called the MNR tip line and was told there was someone in the area and they would be there. He continued to watch them for 15 mins until they realized he was there so he went to his car to wait for them to walk back to their car so he could get pics of license plates. After another 30 mins MNR hadn’t shown up so he called crime stoppers. They asked if the guys were currently in the river and that he should call the non emergency police line (311). So he called them and the woman asked if there were any “no fishing” signs posted. He said no and so she said there is nothing they can do because nothing is illegal. He said “are you crazy, there are 2 guys after dark in the river with nets and no fishing gear scooping salmon right now”. She said unless it is posted no fishing she can’t send any officers out. Wtf?!??
My buddy is so p##### and since it was so dark he was worried about safety so decided to leave.

Just thought i’d pass this on to see if he should have done anything different?

Thanks guys,
Rob

Unfortunately there are a very limited number of MNR offices located in Ontario and even fewer MNR Officers, especially on a long weekend. I am surprised that the police did not want to get involved because I have had police ask me for my fishing license before, although I would imagine they have more emergent issues to respond to.

It really is a shame that there are poachers out there like this. We spend our lives following the rules, promoting conservation and fair catch and then idi*ts like them just go out there with no shame.

If you really want to get these people in trouble, it sounds like you need to take matters into your own hands. I'm sure you had a cell phone with a camera. Record a video of them in the act and then confront them about it to remind them they are breaking the law. If they continue to illegally catch and posses fish then get as much info. about who they are you can; license plates, clear picture etc. Then hand all that info. over to the MNR. You just did the exact thing a conservation officer would do - gather evidence to support prosecution in court. (aside from possibly arrest, fine and confiscate their equipment).

There's not much else you could do.

GRW

PMEmail Poster
Archiero
Posted: Oct 15, 2019 - 11:35 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 3492

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately my friend who was there (talking to me on the phone while he watched the poachers) tried to take video and pics but it was so dark nothing would have been identifiable. He tried to get closer, but at one point the guys relized he was ther and threw their nets in the woods and then started to come towards him so he didn't feel like being alone with 2 guys who were committing an illegal offense, even with me on the other end of the phone. He waited at the parking lot but there were 2 cars and he didn't know which the guys were in and because of how dark it was he would have had to walk righ up to get a pic of the plate.

I think we were both more upset about calling the non emergency police line and being told they couldn't send a police officer out unless there was a "no fishing" sign, because otherwise it wasn't illegal. Shocked that 2 guys after dark without rods and only nets scooping salmon in 4 inches of water was not considered illegal or worth their time. I get if they were busy, but the dispatchers response was "it's not illegal".

Anyways it is a shame that this crap still goes on. We try to get out in pairs just so that we always have backup if we run into these guys, but when we can't police it ourselves as fishermen we hoped that the real authorities would be there to back us up and help keep our beautiful resources plentiful for years to come.

Thanks for your input.

Rob

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Great Lakes
Fishing forum for the Great Lakes & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in the Great Lakes!

Marketplace